• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Purchasing players

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found this. Having purchased a player that I thought would be ideal for a certain position I've found HAM lists his best qualities for another position.

There are a host of different forums, Hatttick, Hottrick amongst others that I've used and still had the odd surprise. Does one of the 'experts' have a definitive list, or link, of primary and secondary skills for each position ? (if this list includes variations e.g. defensive midfielder so much the better).

Oooooooooh, Cheers. That looks like a much better site and not just for transfers. I don't think I'll be doing much work this afternoon.
biggrin.gif

I'm looking at a wingback - whats the betting I get a player with the primary/secondary skills indicated who turns out to be something completely different ?

How much money have you got ORM?

I am 100k in debt and am losing money hand over fist.

I take it the idea is to train up your youngsters and sell them on for a tidy sum, keeping the odd one to bolster your team?

I don't think I'm patient enough for this game!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Feb. 23 2005,13:47)]I take it the idea is to train up your youngsters and sell them on for a tidy sum, keeping the odd one to bolster your team?
correct! I am in a transition period at the moment. having sold a lot of players. I have funded the hiring of a solid coach with solid leadership plus several 17 year old solid defenders and still have a bank balance of £1,500,000
oops.gif

Relegation looms this year but i am building for a few seasons time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Feb. 23 2005,13:47)]How much money have you got ORM?

I am 100k in debt and am losing money hand over fist.

I take it the idea is to train up your youngsters and sell them on for a tidy sum, keeping the odd one to bolster your team?

I don't think I'm patient enough  for this game!
After two home league games on the run my spending excesses have been rectified and I'm now about 2K OD. Looking over a two week period - one home & one away game I'll have a net profit from attendances and sponsorship money even though I have full youth squad investment and a large complement of staff (assuming I don't fritter money away elsewhere).

My squad is now complete except for one wing back needed as cover and a couple of players to transfer out or fire. Some of my central defenders perform just as well as wing backs so I'm not necessarily in a hurry. All I'm waiting for now is a few defensive pops, preferably one of my passables to a solid so I can sell him and replace with another trainee.

Three lessons I, as still a relative newbie, have learned. The first one is probably the main reason why I'm financially comfortable .

1) Read as many forums and manuals as possible and don't be afraid to ask a stupid question. You tend to get decent answers and advice. As a result of this although I ended up with 35 players relatively quickly I didn't spend a substancial deal of money putting the squad together.

2) Plan your squad very wisely. For instance as I'm training defenders I really didn't have the need for six attackers - which I had at one stage. I've ended up firing a few players that I spent anything between £667 and £4K on in the first few days of joining. If I've made a mistake and couldn't sell the player I fired him, swallowed the loss and moved on.

3) Trawl for bargains in the transfer market and be patient. Bargains do appear and if you can't pick them up today try again tomorrow unless you are really desperate. I've picked up a number of solid players with decent secondary skills relatively cheaply. If I've ended up in a bidding war I set myself an upper limit and stick to it.

5) Setting yourself a spending limit is really important, or else you get into bidding wars and it all gets silly.

I was trying to sign a 17 yo passable striker prior to my friendly match last night so I could keep training strikers (since one of my 6 is injured).

However, I set myself a limit of £100K - I was unwilling to pay more than that for a passable player.

You would be amazed, however, at the amounts of money some of the people ended up spending in bidding wars - up to £250K. Ridiculous.

So, don't get sucked in to the bidding war. Set your limit and stick to it - or else you end up (a) overspending; (b) not building up the cash reserves to sign the really good players when you really want / need them.

cool.gif

And besides, it's given me an excuse to do a spot of short pass training, which always helps with the transfer value... if you're buying a brilliant striker, it's better if he's a reasonable passer of the ball as well...

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Back