• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"Puts Football in Perspective"

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
What does this phrase mean to you? It's something that is often said when a person linked to the game dies. All of us feel a sense of loss and maybe even shock if the person is young.

But what does it really mean to you?

Do you really think about its meaning? For example, if an event really has made you put football into perspective, would you accept defeat in our next game, because you have now realised it is only a game? Surely no-one wants to lose any time. Does it mean that you won't get as upset as you normally do (assuming you do actually get upset) when we lose?

Maybe I'm becoming cynical in my old age, but I don't really see any evidence of anyone really putting football in perspective. I just hear them trotting out the same old cliche, without really thinking about what they're saying.

Please help me to become less cynical!

It is the same with a lot of phrases. Say them enough and they start to lose their meaning.

For me, it does simply mean that Football is just a game and isn't something that is life or death as some make it out to be. Of course no-one wants to lose, but compared to something shocking that really does take people's lives, it isn't that bad.

One moment I can think where football is "put in perspective" was the FA Cup final in 1989 with the Hillsborough disaster just a month before that. I'm too young, but if there ever was a time to "put football in perspective" then I guess that would be one.

It is the same with a lot of phrases. Say them enough and they start to lose their meaning.

For me, it does simply mean that Football is just a game and isn't something that is life or death as some make it out to be. Of course no-one wants to lose, but compared to something shocking that really does take people's lives, it isn't that bad.

One moment I can think where football is "put in perspective" was the FA Cup final in 1989 with the Hillsborough disaster just a month before that. I'm too young, but if there ever was a time to "put football in perspective" then I guess that would be one.

But the question is, would Liverpool fans have accepted defeat? Would any team's fans accept defeat in the same circumstances?

Football can be taken far too seriously at times, by me included. I've been in pain when we've lost playoff semis, or when England got knocked out on penalties (up to about 10 years ago), but by the next morning the pain goes.

There's plenty of **** moments in life where the pain lingers a lot longer, and for some unfortunate souls, never leaves.

I attended my first Southend game with my dad and gone with him many times later .
My Dad passed away 4 days before our first ever Wembley appearance , I am not sure whether that put Football into perspective ir the opposite , all I know that I hurt all day , it was nothing to do with the defeat but I knew I had to be there...

I see a lot above mention the negatives of life putting football in perspective.... The opposite is also true...

We had our first child in May and the play off defeat to Burton coincided with her first weekend home. I watched the game at home and was disappointed but with holding my tiny daughter the disappointment linger.

Back