• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sorry BlueRon. I didn't mean to paint a nirvana picture. What I'm trying to convey is that the domesday scenario is vastly overstated but if people keep talking a bad game that doesn't help either. There will be casualties along the way and that's not just unfortunate, in some cases that's disastrous. To say we can't survive without being in the Eurozone is fundamentally wrong. Economic co-operation can happen whether we are in or out. The day Germany stops exporting BMW to England is the day I'm proven wrong. London is still the financial centre it always was. There is a bigger risk from China than there is Europe or NY of that changing. Whether people believe it or not the money is in Asia, particularly China, the biggest investor in US treasuries, the biggest investor in Africa. For every 1 million peasant there is a millionaire. Their journey of reform also continues with mistakes along the way.

Rigsby I owe you a reply too. Sorry I've barely been on this week. I run a product for Asia-Pacific for a US Custody Bank (not one of the nasty financial crisis ones). Am I a tax exile? Yes by virtue of the fact I'm employed on a HK contract not expat. My roots are very firmly planted in England as is my wife, still, and two children. I've been coming to Asia regularly since 97 and fell in love with HK the first day I arrived here. The idea of working here is to secure our financial future, oh and also permanent residency in 2-1/2 years time which will give me the right to come and go not just here but all over Asia visa free with an APEC card.

Part of that reason is that my career has seen me in 9 permanent jobs so my pension is a patchwork. I left WHSB with O levels and an A/O and the teachers telling me I'm a failure because I bailed 3 months into the 6th form deciding Uni wasn't for me. I come from a rightly proud working class East London background. My mum was the youngest of 9 and I am the only one of the children to hit the city. I started life as a messenger before being an office junior. I have been made redundant twice, walked out of a job twice (once 3 days into it), set up my own (failed) company and been a mini-cab driver. I also lived unemployed in doss houses twice so I hope any preconceptions of me are truly well out of the window now.

HK is amazing. Asia is amazing. In return for that a typical working day is on emails from 6am, leave for work at 7 to 730 with a 50 min commute then work anywhere up to 8pm with evening calls as well 4 nights per week plush the odd day at weekends and today is one of those days. On the flip side of that if I have something on for myself I will bale out of evening calls. I can also work from home, come and go as I please so if I want to go down the pub at lunchtime and stay there I can and do maybe 2-3 times a year. Then of course there's the business travel. This year so far Tokyo twice, Singapore twice, Taiwan twice and Australia and Indonesia. 10 days from now it is Korea then back to Singapore next month. Glamorous? Possibly but also tiring and I know your hearts bleed. Then of course there's the holidays and next month I also tick off Vietnam and Cambodia (wife flying out for that) and in December Mumbai taking in two days of the 4th test before coming back to the UK for Christmas.

I'm rightly proud of being a Southender, Essex boy, English and British in that order. I thought carefully about posting the above in case smugness came through. Apologies if it did. My life has been a rollercoaster but for the last nine years I've been riding the crest of it. Past history keeps me sane and wary.

On topic I very firmly believe in Brexit for economic reasons. Am I right? I sincerely hope so for all our futures.

You just can't help yourself can you.

And you're beloved labour part and it's leader JC are complete and utter failures in everything they try and do.

Sorry, no Guardian link available.

And there was me thinking that Liam Fox had made an interesting contribution to the debate on this thread.:whistling:

Back