• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pyramid schemes and high pressure direct sales.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Anyone got any stories.

I have just got back from a visit to someone's house under the guise of a social event hosted by the parents of my young nephew.

I thought something was odd when I spotted some leaflets for cookware on the coffee table and sure enough a 'friend' arrived to cook some food who then proceeded to whip out a flip chart and a DVD presentation

The food was pretty good however the atmosphere turned a bit sour when I mentioned there was no way I was going to part with thousands of pounds on a whim and the presenter started to question my intelligence, economic status and dedication to my families welfare. Other 'friends' mysteriously turned up at this point to apply further pressure...

The only reason I didn't walk out as soon as I realised what was going on was that I didn't want to upset my nephew's friendship with his mate and I felt very sad that the parents could be so cynical.

How much did you end up spending?

The question you should be asking is how much did I end up saving.

This stuff pays for itself and I would be happy to give a demonstration to any Shrimperzone members because I am confident you will be impressed as I was.

I remember many years ago, some close friend got hooked up in some EZ Clean (IIRC) scam. Sat through the presenta tion then made some lame excuses and departed.

Not friends any more!

I am still trying to come to terms with this whole experience and feel angry and violated.

The worst thing is that someone could actually think that one is a big enough mug to go for something like this.

Actually I did used to work with a bloke that spent £500 on a watch that he purchased from someone who approached him at a motorway service station.

He could probably do with some premium cookware.......

Yeah it's crazy that they seem to work and people fall for the high pressure technique and buy things!

It's a bit like chuggers on the high street. I read that they return £3-4 in fundraising for every £1 invested. They are successful, even though they shouldn't be. I don't understand how someone would sign up for a direct debit for a charity in the rain when some student called Seb runs up with a big umbrella, stupid hat and flip flops.

Actually I did used to work with a bloke that spent £500 on a watch that he purchased from someone who approached him at a motorway service station.

He could probably do with some premium cookware.......

I know a guy who use to sell those watches in service stations and town centres. It was a very slick operation, even advertising in national magazines like BMW etc. His claim to fame is he once sold to Darren Gough.

I know a guy who use to sell those watches in service stations and town centres. It was a very slick operation, even advertising in national magazines like BMW etc. His claim to fame is he once sold to Darren Gough.

Is your mate interested in selling premium surgical steel cookware?

Friends of mine tried to get me involved in a pyramid scheme. This was straight forward cash. They went to a meeting because they were invited. They told me how people were walking out with thousands of pounds in cash.

I asked the how many people in each tier. They told me that there was 8, i.e. that each person collects about £2000 off eight people, but only has to pay the person ahead of them £2000. They couldn't get over the amount of cash people were walking out with.

I then sent them a spreadsheet showing this:

Level People
1 1
2 8
3 64
4 512
5 4,096
6 32,768
7 262,144
8 2,097,152
9 16,777,216
10 134,217,728

Only 10 tiers takes you passed the number of people in the entire UK, and that includes babies, and senior citizens. Only 2 more tiers takes you passed the number of people in the world. That doesn't take into account the people that have already bought in.

One of my friends then actually thought he would convince me by saying that people would buy back in further down the chain. I laughed, and asked him if he had just made £14,000 if he would? He begrudgingly accepted he wouldn't.

To this day I still don't know if they did buy in because it all went very silent.

Needless to say, I didn't

Is your mate interested in selling premium surgical steel cookware?

Pleased to say he's moved on in life. But now you've mentioned them, any chance of bringing some samples to the Blues lounge v Wycombe?

Back