• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It was also said that the club is limited to a 25 man squad. My guess would be - Heard, Patterson, Spencer, and Crawford all out on loan with the possibility of lossing these players in January.

PS also mentioned the Zaboub is near full fitness now and could see a return (has been carrying a knock for the last season and did not want to tell the managment as he did nit want to let them down, he also was unable to find a club for last season)

Did anyone ask about his thoughts on Paterson and Spencer?

So he's been tapping up Mr Ferguson then. I don't believe we've signed anyone from them, bar Szmid, in recent times have we?

So he's been tapping up Mr Ferguson then. I don't believe we've signed anyone from them, bar Szmid, in recent times have we?

I got the impression that he thinks they are both a bit lightweight and haven't shown enough to justify a starting place. He said Man Utd had been in touch and had 4 players to go out on loan - but they are in positions we are not looking for - despite the fact they are probably better than what we have ,Luggy doesn't think thats the right way to build his team.

Last edited:

on the paterson front he said he was still only young and may be prepared to send him out on loan along with herd and merrick- james to get some games in.

he thinks alot of corr and he would like to play a little striker up front along side corr as in the new loan signing that comes today.

he also said new signings are made that bit harder at the moment due to agents and other clubs being funny about southends money worries and that plays its part in not getting some players in.

thought their would be alot more people their as think their was only around 60-70 in attendance and most of them looked over 55 years old, would have been nice to see a few younger trust members their last night as it looked as if 6 or 7 were the only one"s below 40, good night tho with some good honest answers.

I got the impression that he thinks they are both a bit lightweight and haven't shown enough to justify a starting place. He said Mn Utd had been in touch and had 4 players to go out on loan - but they are in positions we are not looking for - despite the fact they are probably better than what we have ,Luggy doesn't think thats the right way to build his team.

Sounds encouraging... At least we're contacting the bigger clubs, and not taking anybody on board because they're a United player.

Good news about Zaaboub, too. Really think he could be the creative influence we're looking for.

I've got a feeling the "surprising news" could be regarding Prosser being let go, which would be a shame as he actually looked quite an astute signing until that game.

Last edited:
oh, he recognizes that Moshni has cost us goals of late but puts his poor form partly down to Ramadan. "It came at the wrong time for him" apparently. He recognizes that Moshni could be a great player but he is a bit too keen at times. He comes for balls he shouldnt sometimes and sometimes hangs back for balls he should challenge for. He said this is unfortunately his inexperience showing but hopefully by giving him games he'll mature quickly. PS said he'll certainly learn quicker by playing than from the bench.

Thats is one quality read! Just spent nearly and hour texting my mate excerpts.

Thanks for organising and putting it all online!

Nobody can deny that Sturrock is experienced, passionate, knows what he wants and isnt afraid to speak his mind.

All excited again now! :)

:clap:

Bravo to the Trust and to Rob Craven, in particular, for a really excellent write up. Some fascinating stuff - e.g. Moshni's eating patterns being affected by Ramadan! Never occurred to me, but it makes sense.

Very encouraging. I'm still sad that Tilly has gone; but there's no question that we have a highly capable management duo at the club now.

Thank you for the write up. Very interesting stuff, good points about Granty chasing down too much, too much long ball on saturday as opposed to when Blair was on his own up front. 'Surprising news' about players in next few days, my guess is that Spencer, Pato and Herd will all go, and be gone by January as its clear to me they dont figure in their plans.

Well done Rob for a masterly write up for those who could not attend.
PS Just googled Ramadan and athletes and there appear to be ways to observe the religious injunctions whilst staying fit.

We’ve also looked at the foreign market, but we can’t touch that ‘til January. We’re going to travel to Dublin every second Friday, and also to France and Belgium, but even in Ireland now they’re learning that there’s a value in forwards as well. I’ve taken a chance on one I’ve watched before, a lad that we’re looking to bring in for a month, but I won’t be telling you who that is now!”

I guess this is the lad that could be announced today. So he has played for Widdrington before? Rules out Nat Jarvis then?...

We’ve also looked at the foreign market, but we can’t touch that ‘til January. We’re going to travel to Dublin every second Friday, and also to France and Belgium, but even in Ireland now they’re learning that there’s a value in forwards as well. I’ve taken a chance on one I’ve watched before, a lad that we’re looking to bring in for a month, but I won’t be telling you who that is now!”

I guess this is the lad that could be announced today. So he has played for Widdrington before? Rules out Nat Jarvis then?...

I don't think he implies that he's worked with him before, just that he's one that he's had a look at before which, given the fact they've looked at over 50 strikers in the space of two months, could be anybody.

I was more taken by the fact that we were looking at Jason Walker, who really would've been an excellent addition... as would Matt Tubbs. He's right though, the conference really is going mental at the moment and it's no surprise that the club who break transfer records is the one managed by Steve Evans.

Lots to be encouraged by there. Really pleased that he sees part of his job as involving the whole staff and trying to get the town back on-side, his attention to detail and awareness of things like statistics and diet. His football philisophy also seems really sound - it's amazing how many managers haven't realised that some 6ft+ striker prefer the ball at their feet or the importance of centre-halves who can win everything in the air. It may take time to come together, and it may be his successor who reaps the rewards, but I'm confident that he's putting us on the right tracks.

Excellent right up Rob, well done. I'd just like to add that it really was a refreshing change to hear a manager of Southend United put the answers to a number of questions put to him in a manner that came across as both convincing and informative, even if the Scottish accent did leave me a little flumoxed at times ;)

For what it's worth. My take on things.

Herd out on a months loan to get competetive games.

Paterson and Spencer possibly moving out on loans til the end of the season with a view to perminent moves elsewhere.

Jarvis (young Cardiff lad I believe) in on loan, possibly making it perminent should PS & TW consider it worthwhile.

I like the idea of having a (as PS so politely put it) 'dirty *******' in the team. This league requires it.

A full report on the evening is now online on the Trust Website here.

Superb write up :clap:

Sturrock & Widdrington seem honest and intelliegnt, happy to have them at the helm. Couple of points to pull out...

When quizzed on whether they had been paid, the Scotland international was unequivocal: “Yes, we have been paid, and we have also signed our contracts.”

Drastic Sturgeon likes this. :thumbsup:

We’ve got one or two players at the moment that other clubs are interested in, but we have to get the best deal for the football club, maybe involving a transfer at the end of a loan spell.”

Drastic Sturgeon does not like this. :thumbdown:
Hoping this is not combined with the "suprising news", just had a horrible feeling it could be Granty going out on loan with view to permenant. Perhaps more likely to be Paterson or Spencer as they haven't been involved much.

Back