• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

QF4- Charles Babbage FRS v Sir Isaac Newton FRS

Charles Babbage FRS (Bob Cratchitt) v Sir Isaac Newton (Drastic Surgeon)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's more like it! ;)

Sir Isaac Newton, FRS (1643 - 1727)
isaac-newton-action-figure.jpg

The man that brought you...

Gravity!

The Reflecting Telescope!

3 Laws of Motion!

Calculus!

Honours...
-MP For Cambridge!
-Warden of the Royal Mint!
-Fellow & President of the Royal Society!
-The First Ever Scientist to be Knighted!
-The First Ever State Funeral for a Scientist!

VOTE FOR THE NEWT!

Never a big fan of Sir Isaacs offspring, Eddie's, uncultured clatterings around midfield.

Will therefore go for the man who's contribution means that access to 'adult material' is no longer confined to awkward visits to the local corner shops top shelf....

TO be fair anyone who went for a walk one day , found the current system of mathematics was inadequate and made one up in his head , gets my vote

Computers are all well and good.. But if you let go of one and your foot is below it, then then you will want Newtons advice on what will happen next..

I cannot believe that I have to restate the case for Charles Babbage.

To be honest Newton did not invent Gravity, he just decided to comment on it, I am sure us humans generally are quite happy to know it exists without needing to know anymore about it.

I guess I have never thought of contacting the afterlife to seek Newton's advice when I have dropped something to find out what would happen next.

Last edited:
Computers are all well and good.. But if you let go of one and your foot is below it, then then you will want Newtons advice on what will happen next..

Not wishing to take anything away from Isaac, but I'm presuming pre-Newton's theory humans were aware that things fell to the ground?

And if people are crediting Newton with inventing gravity, then in effect it is that ******* that is stopping me from self propelled flight.....

Nobody is claiming Newton invented gravity. But if we're going there you asked for it.
Newton's theory of Gravity has many practical uses and is still in use today, I'll come back to that later.

Vs. Charles Babbage

I am the first to admit the argument for voting for Charles Babbage is a persuasive one especially as we’re all sitting behind a keyboard. But it could be argued that without Isaac Newton’s discoveries and theories Babbage could never have come up with his incredible invention. It was Newton himself who said “If I have seen further than others then it is by standing on the shoulders of giants” and that will have undoubtedly been the case for Babbage, as almost every scientist of the 18th century was standing on Newton’s shoulders.

The revolutionary power of the Principia* and other Newtonian works is felt to this day: His celestial mechanics guide the paths of satellites and spacecraft, his reflecting telescope is enabling astronomers to study recently discovered supernovas, his numerical methods are used in computers and his mathematics and approach to solving many physical problems remain as vital today as in his time.
Stefi Weisburd (1987)link

And his work has continued to shape the more modern understanding of the computer, Newton’s discovery that light could be split using a prism meant ultimately that we could manipulate light which allowed the likes of John Logie Baird to invent the television and eventually find ourselves with computer screens.

The Opticks ensured a premier place in science for experimentation and greatly influenced the later study of electricity, magnetism and chemistry by Benjamin Franklin and others.
Stefi Weisburd (1987) link

*Newton’s renowned book Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica

Newton was no one trick pony!

To be honest Newton did not invent Gravity, he just decided to comment on it, I am sure us humans generally are quite happy to know it exists without needing to know anymore about it.

I for one am glad that the makers of aeroplanes know how gravity works.

And not only that but how the 3 laws of motion will affect them aswell.

Will therefore go for the man who's contribution means that access to 'adult material' is no longer confined to awkward visits to the local corner shops top shelf....

Tim Berners-Lee invented the internet, not Charles Babbage.

Cheers DSLC.

Newton’s 3 Laws of Motion

1. A body at rest stays at rest, and a body in motion stays in motion, unless it is acted on by an external force. [law of inertia]

2. Force equals mass times acceleration (F = ma)

3. To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. [law of reciprocal action]

Nobody is claiming Newton invented gravity. But if we're going there you asked for it.
Newton's theory of Gravity has many practical uses and is still in use today, I'll come back to that later.

I am just pointing out that the statement that Newton brought us gravity, does not mean he invented it, just gave us a theory on it.

I for one am glad that the makers of aeroplanes know how gravity works.

And not only that but how the 3 laws of motion will affect them aswell.

So in effect according the Greens he has helped with the destruction of our environment and aided diseases to spread around the world at a much greater speed, then days of the train/ship travel.

So in effect according the Greens he has helped with the destruction of our environment and aided diseases to spread around the world at a much greater speed, then days of the train/ship travel.

Last time I checked trains & ships also need motion to er, move.

And computers use energy to run too, so do just as much damage.

next.

Well, Newton spent half his life on alchemy, and thought he was chosen by God to intepret the scriptures. So he was a bit bonkers. Also, there is this:

http://www.isaacnewtons.com/main.html

I haven't yet found a Charles Babbage's

Well Isaac said it himself...
"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people."

As for that restuarant, I will make a note of that for when I eventually do my roadtrip across America!

Back