• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Quality of National League teams compared to L2

Also, IMHO, after the earlier shocks of seeing the physicality of the NL, I reckon I’ve enjoyed 90% of our matches, win, lose, or draw, far more than what we have been served up in our last few seasons in the EFL. For me, it has been back to watching good, old fashioned English blood and thunder football and why I dislike watching Prem League so much.

The NL for a number of years has been league 3 in all bar name. It has more in common with L2 than it has with NLN/NLS.

I like the idea of combining L2 and the NL in to a North and South Divisions. It would cut travelling and accommodation costs and probably see better attendances as more local games for Fans to travel to.

Also, IMHO, after the earlier shocks of seeing the physicality of the NL, I reckon I’ve enjoyed 90% of our matches, win, lose, or draw, far more than what we have been served up in our last few seasons in the EFL. For me, it has been back to watching good, old fashioned English blood and thunder football and why I dislike watching Prem League so much.
Yeovil was absolutely a blood and thunder fixture. Exhilarating stuff, my favourite part of the game was Tom Clifford firmly but fairly putting one of their guys onto the side track to stop a break away in the 2nd half.

Very very impressed by what the NL serves up compared to the turgid football in L2 that hasn't seen great change for a while now.

The issue with this as it stands is the bottle neck it has created. I am sure that if you took all L2 and NL clubs in one division and let it play out you would probably find the bottom half of clubs in L2 as it stands currently would end up towards the bottom half of the 2 leagues combined and vide versa with the clubs towards the top of the NL currently.
Therefore this is only achieving a corrosion of the quality in L2.
Should be 3 auto and 1 play off place from NL into L2 imo

The promotion and relegation to and from League 2 will not change. I can't see why teams in League 2 would vote to allow 1 more relegation from League 2, to allow 3 to come up from the national league. Like has been said in previous posts I would say that a lot of the teams in the National League would more than hold their own against teams in League 2 and possibly even League 1

We wouldn't be having this discussion about promotion spots if we weren't in the National League. Like it or lump it but turkeys don't vote for Christmas, and thus I can't see the league changing their position anytime soon.

You have to feel sorry for the teams that have been in this league for a while with a very slim chance of exit, unless by the wrong route.

I am shocked by the poor quality.

the officials allow any forward skill to be killed off by defenders holding, shoving, obstructing, kicking ...

a large proportion of passes are incomplete and/or inaccurate ..

a large number of clearances are hoofed ..

poor crosses - poor finishing - poor skill levels ..

I HATE IT

From what i can tell there isnt much difference in quality

League 2 teams seem just as crap but the crap they play seems slightly more organised crap.

Crap.

The difference between the Premier and the Championship is vast.
It's why so few promoted teams make an impact after their second season - if they last that long. Ask Norwich and Fulham.

But in the NL where there is barely a part-time side, if any, it's pretty easy to see why so many Lg2 sides get turned over in the FA Cup.
Chesterfield didn't just beat Salford away in the second round, they sauntered past them. We gave the Spireites more of a game!
Note Stockport's demolition of Bolton as well.

Apart from Dover and a couple of others, I doubt whether any Lge2 side would batter an NL outfit.

For me, the acid test is Sutton.
They've made signings from NL and NLS and are currently vying for Lge2 promotion.

Confidence and a feelgood factor is the difference at any club in the fourth and fifth league.

Not so the officials. They're dire at this level and not unlike the quality difference in the top tiers.

Back