• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question about a road bike

Hotman

reason, honour, integrity
Need some help from bikey people!

Have been offered a brand new (old stock) Trek road bike from my local shop. It's 2005 or 6ish i'd say, just before the "Madone" series, with ultegra gear sets etc, carbon frame, fork , and bontrager race wheels.

I believe the model is Trek 5200 - its blue if that helps!, and is apparently the bike Lance Armstrong used to win tour de france

Is it worth an asking price of £1200? Also, is there any probs with buying a new old stock bike? What would a comparative modern bike cost?

Thanks in advance!

Yes - sounds like a bargain. I am assuming it's an ex-display model? If so, check what warranty or manufactuer guarantee you might get.

A lot of bike for your £ there & if you get bitten by the cycling bug, you'll find you can easily upgrade bits and pieces as you go. A comparable 2010 Trek would easily be over £2k, they've now switched their major component manufacturer from Shimano to SRAM.

I'm still racing on a 2001 aluminium Specialized kitted out with 9speed Ultegra, although hope to upgrade soon (this is performance & permission from the Mrs dependant).

Does it look like this?

New_Trek_5200_complete_Road_Bike.jpg

Hi GlasgowSUFC, it's very similar to that, but after further research found out its the Discovery Channel version of the bike, either 06 or 07.

All things being well, picking her up tomorrow!

Hi GlasgowSUFC, it's very similar to that, but after further research found out its the Discovery Channel version of the bike, either 06 or 07.

All things being well, picking her up tomorrow!

Good call - glad you went ahead and bought it.
I would also advise if you've got any budget left and want to get into doing some decent rides pretty early on, to invest in some clipless pedals, specific cycling shoes and a decent pair of shorts.

Any other questions as you move things on, just give me a shout!

I have some spd pedals and pearl izumi mountain bike shoes i can use, although the weight of the mtb shoes will defeat the object of a carbon frame - definetely a needed upgrade. Shorts / jerseys etc are what i'll be wasting money on next, followed by a turbo trainer when i realise its always too wet to go out on a bike

You should also check out if your employer is involved in the cycle to work scheme:
http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

You can save about 50% on the cost of a new bike and accessories.
Failing that you should check out some cycling forums for 2nd hand bikes and you might be able to pick up a bargain. I picked up a 2004 Specialized Allez for £300 including Look Keo pedals, Shimano 105 brakes,Fulcrum Racing 7 Wheelset,Kappa Prologo saddle.Continental Gatorskin tyres, Cateye Computer and Spare Alex DA16 wheelset.

Check out:
Biker Radar Road Classifieds
CycleChat

YB I bought a Giant Rock mountain bike for my boy for your kind of budget, very impressed for the price.

Whatever you do don't go for a full suspension mountain bike with all the gizmo's.

especially not if the bike costs less than the brakes alone should...

A road bike or just 'a' bike?
10% of the £2k or the price MC paid for his?

A road bike. Not many mountains here in London (it's not like Hadleigh Country park!) and I figure if I'm not going off-road I may as well get something a bit quicker, which will hopefully encourage me to do some longer distance rides.

Was hoping for 10% of the price MC paid. For that sort of price am I going to be better off picking up something second hand or getting a bottom of the range new bike?

YB I bought a Giant Rock mountain bike for my boy for your kind of budget, very impressed for the price.

Whatever you do don't go for a full suspension mountain bike with all the gizmo's.

Yeah, the full suspension mountain bike was what I was trying to avoid. My housemate has got one and it is a pile of ****.

Last edited:
A road bike. Not many mountains here in London (it's not like Hadleigh Country park!) and I figure if I'm not going off-road I may as well get something a bit quicker, which will hopefully encourage me to do some longer distance rides.

Was hoping for 10% of the price MC paid. For that sort of price am I going to be better off picking up something second hand or getting a bottom of the range new bike?

Go to any Evans Cycles (think there are about 20 stores in London now) & see what they've got in your price-range in the sale. At this time of year they not only sell off all this year's stock but also anything else they've had hanging round their warehouse at knock-down prices.

You could also consider a fixed gear/single speed bike as this is the latest cycling trend, especially for riding in the city (check out www.londonfgss.com as there are always loads of 2nd bikes on there). This kind oif bike is also good as you get more for your money plus there is minimum maintenance required.

Back