• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question for all you Cyclists

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
In a points race, if someone manages to get a lap ahead they gain 20 points, but does that mean they automatically win the next sprint, because they will have finished when everyone else is starting, or do they still have to go for it?

If they do have to race it like they weren't a lap ahead, are they then able to just not bother, and let everyone else catch them up? They won't get any points, but they will have got 20 points for the original lapping?

Can someone let me know if this is correct or not?

It's all part of the tactics.
If you're on your breakaway and it's a sprint lap (before you make contact) you will get the 5 points for winning the sprint. Then you will get 20 points once you get back on the end of the main field. Then you are classed again as part of the main bunch and so everybody has a chance to contest the next sprint.

Basically Romero mistimed her break yesterday & should have thought a bit more about when she could have maybe sneaked a lap. Also Vos, despite winning slightly mistimed hers (in fact I think she gained the back of the bunch quicker than she expected) and only picked up 20pts for gaining a lap rather than the 25 she could have gained in one move.

Does that make sense?

Cheers Glasgow, yes it does. The bit that confused me was if you're effectively a lap ahead, do you automatically win the next sprint, and the answer seems to be a no, unless you can manage to time it correctly.

Cheers Glasgow, yes it does. The bit that confused me was if you're effectively a lap ahead, do you automatically win the next sprint, and the answer seems to be a no, unless you can manage to time it correctly.

Yep, that's about right, although obviously the stronger riders try to keep breaks at a minimum if the riders who've escaped are trying to gain both sprint points and a lap!

Back