• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Question for Teflon Ron

rlb999

We want 4 stands!
Great bit of PR you've done today Ron, not for the first time. You're clearly a dab hand at manipulating situations to your advantage. One question - how are you going to afford Sturrock, Widdrington, and this wonder team they are about to sign? Or am I just worrying about detail?

Great bit of PR you've done today Ron, not for the first time. You're clearly a dab hand at manipulating situations to your advantage. One question - how are you going to afford Sturrock, Widdrington, and this wonder team they are about to sign? Or am I just worrying about detail?

With the money that will be announced this week.

he's got you on board then. i don't know what we've all been worrying about for the last 2 years - Ron had it covered all along and we were just being over anxious. Silly us. Clever Ron.

He explained this in those films Scriv did.

Our wage budget will be in the top 3 in the division (who are the big spenders in the division?) and as we've only 9 players - two of whom are likely to be gone - he'll have most of that budget to invest. Few managers get that sort of opportunity.

Theoretically our gates should be able to support a top 3 wage bill in the fourth, but I can see crowds being substantially down as the last 12 months will have alienated a lot of supporters. There is also the issue that we've probably borrowed against that income already.

The next fortnight will be critical. We need to have paid off the PFA, HMRC and Charterhouse by then. If we get the finance in place to do that, we should have the wage budget that would appeal to most 4th division managers.

I don't see how we an sustain any sort of wagebill if the season ticket money has already been spent. Any money we get in through ticketing will be needed to meet our HMRC obligations as well as the general running costs of sustaining a league club.

If we've got £1.4m or whatever, in a wage budget for the season then I can only suggest that that is in the form of an injection into the Club on top of what was needed to pay off our pressing debts.

I don't see how we an sustain any sort of wagebill if the season ticket money has already been spent. Any money we get in through ticketing will be needed to meet our HMRC obligations as well as the general running costs of sustaining a league club.

If we've got £1.4m or whatever, in a wage budget for the season then I can only suggest that that is in the form of an injection into the Club on top of what was needed to pay off our pressing debts.

ive heard it is 3 mill coming in, ron wants to get back up this season, obviously a lot of that going on non team issues

ive heard it is 3 mill coming in, ron wants to get back up this season, obviously a lot of that going on non team issues

If he wants to get back that much, perhaps he should have made a bit of an effort to stop us going down; it wouldn't have taken much.

Theoretically our gates should be able to support a top 3 wage bill in the fourth, but I can see crowds being substantially down as the last 12 months will have alienated a lot of supporters.

.... and a whole load more in the last couple of weeks.

Ticket office told me;

- We have sold 3,100 season tickets, 1,300 less than last year (to be expected)
- Only 20 have cancelled DD, which I am very surprised at.

If he wants to get back that much, perhaps he should have made a bit of an effort to stop us going down; it wouldn't have taken much.

But the damage was already done, it had been building ever since relegation from the Championship and was almost solely Martin's fault so he had only himself to blame. If he'd cut the wage bill after relegation to League One as any sane and sensible Chairman would then we wouldn't have got ourselves into the mess we're in now and would almost certainly still be in League One.

Personally I think it's quite strange given that it was Martin I believe who brought in Webb in 2001, Webby told RM how looking at some of the players contracts made him feel physically sick and that RM HAD to cut the wage bill and get rid of some of the high earners to stabilise the club financially. Together they did that and we saw the benefits later, it seems RM failed to learn from past experiences on this occasion.

But the damage was already done, it had been building ever since relegation from the Championship and was almost solely Martin's fault so he had only himself to blame. If he'd cut the wage bill after relegation to League One as any sane and sensible Chairman would then we wouldn't have got ourselves into the mess we're in now and would almost certainly still be in League One.

Personally I think it's quite strange given that it was Martin I believe who brought in Webb in 2001, Webby told RM how looking at some of the players contracts made him feel physically sick and that RM HAD to cut the wage bill and get rid of some of the high earners to stabilise the club financially. Together they did that and we saw the benefits later, it seems RM failed to learn from past experiences on this occasion.

I think that you only have to look at League Clubs struggling financially up and down the country to see that the mistake that Ron Martin made was the same one not only made by our Club several years earlier but by other chairman and other clubs in all leagues.

I think that you only have to look at League Clubs struggling financially up and down the country to see that the mistake that Ron Martin made was the same one not only made by our Club several years earlier but by other chairman and other clubs in all leagues.

indeed, it just seems obvious to me that a massive reset button needs to be pressed, especially in league one and two, wipe all contracts and say right we need to step into the real world here and start paying real wages, none of this 2/3 k a week bollox, 1k a week maximum or i tell you what you can go and do something else

I wonder how long before Sturrock and Martin start butting heads. Could it be if we are still under an embargo after the 14th July?

Hear hear. Looking back now, the owner did everything to hinder us. Loanee's coming in every few weeks, co's he not put up any cash for wages to even get free, or out of contract player's. Not paying the one's we did have on time. Now that really helped ! Oh and sacking an assistant Manager that had the ordacsasty to ask for wages (alledgedly). His "love child IMO " slags of contracted player on loan ! Then the owner has a "missunderstanding" with the captain who is a lifelong supporter as well. And the story ran on and on and on.
Now we have 9 players. 1 manager (BEST WE HAVE EVER HAD ) on gardening leave, A new manager and assistant on no contract's!
But its ok our owner say's "we getting £3 mill soon". Now can anyone tell me why I don't believe that.

Last edited:
Back