• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question for the referees

united we stand

Life President⭐
Apologies if this is in the wrong place

A player puts the ball in the back of the net with a blatant deliberate hand ball. The ref sees it, doesn’t give the goal and gives a free kick against the striker
Does the ref have to yellow card?
If he should yellow card him then does anyone know under what rule?

Really looking for facts from the refs or anyone who is a rule expert, not general opinions- I have already got loads of those from mates!

Thanks in advance
Dave

Happened in a game i was playing in and ref said it was for ungentlemanly conduct ...could come under unsporting conduct also i believe

From the FA

A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the
following seven offences:
• unsporting behaviour
• dissent by word or action
• persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game
• delaying the restart of play
• failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner
kick, free kick or throw-in
• entering or re-entering the field of play without the referee’s permission
• deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission

I always thought deliberate or blatant handball was a yellow card offence but reading this its not necessarily so.

Seeking to gain an advantage by deliberately comitting foul play is an automatic yellow card for Unsporting behavior (red if it also denys a goalscoring opportunity)

This is one example of the instructions regarding handball law which does involve the word deliberate. The main law does not differentiate

Seeking to gain an advantage by deliberately comitting foul play is an automatic yellow card for Unsporting behavior (red if it also denys a goalscoring opportunity)

This is one example of the instructions regarding handball law which does involve the word deliberate. The main law does not differentiate

How about this:

So if a player commits say 5 or 6 fouls he gets a yellow, fair enough. Does this Yellow then wipe the slate clean so he can have another 5 or 6 or should he get another yellow next time he fouls?

From the FA

A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the
following seven offences:
• unsporting behaviour
• dissent by word or action
• delaying the restart of play
• failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner
kick, free kick or throw-in
• entering or re-entering the field of play without the referee’s permission
• deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission

I always thought deliberate or blatant handball was a yellow card offence but reading this its not necessarily so.

It comes under the Fifa directives Steve , as opposed to the main body of the laws of the game. The Directive advises that Deliberate handball is unsporting behavior and hence a Yellow card.

A bit like all the changes of the interpretaion of "interfereing with play" with regards to the offside law. No law change per se just changes to the directives

How about this:

So if a player commits say 5 or 6 fouls he gets a yellow, fair enough. Does this Yellow then wipe the slate clean so he can have another 5 or 6 or should he get another yellow next time he fouls?

that is a real toughie and, as far as I am aware, is still left entirely to the discretion of the ref (ie no directives what so ever)

I would not send the player off for the next foul (unless it was dangeous and therefore a straight red) but he would not get as many "chances" as the previous time

As a referee myself, i always punish deliberate handball, especially when it is done as unsportingly as this, with a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.

Had a Ref this week tell one of my team mates to stopr appealling for every throw on as unsporting behavior and told him his next appeal would cost him a yellow card .

I was always taught to appeal for everything , so find this a bit strange .

Also I got a yellow in the 2nd minute for asking ...politely I may add if the Ref could put his hand up and point to which way the foul he has awarded , not even botehring to appeal , you've got no chance of winning , so i'll just have to dry em and get on with it .

thanks guys much appreciated

this happened to my boys side on Sunday. The oppositon scorred - deliberate hand ball . The ref gave the free kick but not a yellow card. They are only U10's so I don't have a problem with the decision (or lack of one), it just started a conversation after the match as to whether it was an automatic yellow

As a referee myself, i always punish deliberate handball, especially when it is done as unsportingly as this, with a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.

Surely the term "deliberate handball" is misleading? According to the laws of the game it has to be deliberate for it to be handball. If it's accidental then there is no offence.

Interesting. So every handball for you is a card.

Handball has to be deliberate as stated in the Laws of the Game.

These sort of misleading comments are very worrying when coming from referees!

How about this:

Effectively yes, he starts again. Persistent infringement could be substantially less than 6 fouls, in fact a couple of "nearly yellows" could be enough.

Surely the term "deliberate handball" is misleading? According to the laws of the game it has to be deliberate for it to be handball. If it's accidental then there is no offence.

Absolutely.

Had a Ref this week tell one of my team mates to stopr appealling for every throw on as unsporting behavior and told him his next appeal would cost him a yellow card .

Also I got a yellow in the 2nd minute for asking ...politely I may add if the Ref could put his hand up and point to which way the foul he has awarded , not even botehring to appeal , you've got no chance of winning , so i'll just have to dry em and get on with it .

Timing is everything; if you appeal for a throw after the referee has indicated the direction it could be construed as dissent.

Last edited:
Apologies if this is in the wrong place

A player puts the ball in the back of the net with a blatant deliberate hand ball. The ref sees it, doesn’t give the goal and gives a free kick against the striker
Does the ref have to yellow card?
If he should yellow card him then does anyone know under what rule?

Really looking for facts from the refs or anyone who is a rule expert, not general opinions- I have already got loads of those from mates!

Thanks in advance
Dave

The ref does not "have to" yellow card. If the referee feels the player was trying to fool him, he may well opt to penalise the "cheating" with a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.

If he feels the player did it instinctively and wasn't trying to get away with it, then a free kick might suffice.

The answer is no, he does not have to ..... but most would.

Interesting. So every handball for you is a card.

Handball has to be deliberate as stated in the Laws of the Game.

These sort of misleading comments are very worrying when coming from referees!

Maybe i wasn't quite clear enough. In the example given earlier on in the thread i would most certainly have shown a yellow card, it's cheating, and therefore unsporting behaviour. As you say, handball has to be deliberate and if you deliberately handle the ball as far as my interpretation of the law goes that is simply cheating and punishable with a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.

Maybe i wasn't quite clear enough. In the example given earlier on in the thread i would most certainly have shown a yellow card, it's cheating, and therefore unsporting behaviour. As you say, handball has to be deliberate and if you deliberately handle the ball as far as my interpretation of the law goes that is simply cheating and punishable with a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.

Then your interpretation is incorrect. If you have any ambition to proceed upwards as a referee you would be well advised to revisit that approach.

Appealing for something you know is not yours is bordering on the dishonest.

It is also unhelpful to a referee who is trying his/her best to reach the correct decision.

I would suggest your teacher had questionable values and ethics.

that is a real toughie and, as far as I am aware, is still left entirely to the discretion of the ref (ie no directives what so ever)

I would not send the player off for the next foul (unless it was dangeous and therefore a straight red) but he would not get as many "chances" as the previous time

Why not? Why should your values change during the game?

Back