• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
Please find below a response from the club regarding an email i sent after tuesdays game. Makes interesting reading.

Jonathan

Thank you for your e-mail regarding racist chanting, and I can confirm that your e-mail was the only contact received from supporters regarding this matter.

Firstly I would advise that the Club are committed to a zero tolerance to any racist behaviour.

As you would have noted there were police in the ground for the Millwall match, which was classed as a Category C game – the highest category. In fact not only were Essex Police in attendance but also Humberside Police and the Met Police. Although the Club and Safety Officer were technically in charge of the match the police had requested to effectively take control of the away section in order that they could monitor the situation and then take any action that they deemed necessary – they did not wish to take that action during the actual match in case it inflamed circumstances.

Therefore, although it appeared that the Club and the stewards were taking no notice and action, they were actually acting on instructions and advice from the police and taking their guidance from them.

In light of events during the match, and you indeed witnessed, the police removed several of the Millwall supporters at half time and arrested further supporters on their way out of the ground. The Club has also provided CCTV footage to the police so that it can be scrutinised and further culprits identified.

As indicated above the Club does have a zero tolerance to this behaviour and if you do witness it and see no action being taken you should bring it to the attention of a Security Officer or steward. If you did not wish to bring attention to yourself the Club does have a ‘report an incident’ text number where you can notify us in confidence – 07920 107694.

Thank you for your support

Regards

Helen Norbury

cid:image001.jpg@01C99E5D.035B9310
Helen Norbury
Club & Company Secretary
Southend United Football Club
Roots Hall Stadium
Victoria Avenue
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
SS2 6NQ

Tel: 01702 304050

Good stuff - nice to see the club paying more than empty lip service to their obligations in this area.

Well basically, any black player that went near the Millwall fans, especailly north east corner, were welcomed with monkey chants. Went on all first half. I reported it to the police and obviously you can see how it was dealt with. I was one of about 20 people who approached the police directly on Tuesday.

It's good to see that the club do take it seriously, and that fans (like shrimperjon) are committed to getting racism stamped out, particularly among clubs that have previous such as Millwall. I can understand why action that was taken was low profile on Tuesday night as it could indeed have caused things to flare up unnecessarily. The club and police are equipped with the technology to catch these cowardly scumbags and I while you'll always get an immature bunch, such incidents are only going to get rarer.

it really must be a real downer for the players - and their families who would be close by
in the East Blues -

with all the improvements in the game and outside of it to be then confronted by these animals at your home ground -

BAN THEM NEXT YEAR

Great to see that our club are so involved with the police in this matter

i really don't think they should get any tickets next year -

If only. But then by that logic Col Ewe shouldn't get any tickets for their home ground next year as a result of the racist abuse dished out by some (a minority it must be said) of their 'fans' during the Essex derby.

Please find below a response from the club regarding an email i sent after tuesdays game. Makes interesting reading.

Jonathan

Thank you for your e-mail regarding racist chanting, and I can confirm that your e-mail was the only contact received from supporters regarding this matter.

Firstly I would advise that the Club are committed to a zero tolerance to any racist behaviour.

As you would have noted there were police in the ground for the Millwall match, which was classed as a Category C game – the highest category. In fact not only were Essex Police in attendance but also Humberside Police and the Met Police. Although the Club and Safety Officer were technically in charge of the match the police had requested to effectively take control of the away section in order that they could monitor the situation and then take any action that they deemed necessary – they did not wish to take that action during the actual match in case it inflamed circumstances.

Therefore, although it appeared that the Club and the stewards were taking no notice and action, they were actually acting on instructions and advice from the police and taking their guidance from them.

In light of events during the match, and you indeed witnessed, the police removed several of the Millwall supporters at half time and arrested further supporters on their way out of the ground. The Club has also provided CCTV footage to the police so that it can be scrutinised and further culprits identified.

As indicated above the Club does have a zero tolerance to this behaviour and if you do witness it and see no action being taken you should bring it to the attention of a Security Officer or steward. If you did not wish to bring attention to yourself the Club does have a ‘report an incident’ text number where you can notify us in confidence – 07920 107694.

Thank you for your support

Regards

Helen Norbury

cid:image001.jpg@01C99E5D.035B9310

Helen Norbury

Club & Company Secretary
Southend United Football Club
Roots Hall Stadium
Victoria Avenue
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
SS2 6NQ

Tel: 01702 304050

Well done john for reporting the matter to the club, at least sufc seems to take you'r complaint seriously unlike our neighbours from north essex who are just pleased to get a few people through the turnstiles, i wait with baited breath to see what their reply to the football league is

I sit in the East Blues, and only noticed the monkey chants once. In fact it was very brief and I wondered if I had heard it correctly. My son did not notice it at all.

I was speaking to 3 Millwall lads in the William Hill bookies and they were nice lads. They were turned away from all the pubs, and just wanted a couple of pints before the game.
I asked who is the most likely striker to score for Millwall and they all agreed on Gary Alexander. I should have got that message to Barrett and Clarky, Damn.

Back