• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Certainly did, the original "Prince" was the compere for the '75 gigs at Earls Court and had been pretty instrumental in getting them known in the UK back in the early 70s. And yes, it was indeed Fab 208 - I remember listening to the radio using an ear piece under the covers at night - and reception was always dire! Kids these days don't know they're born!!!

Ha - great stuff! They were championned by none other than 'The Cardigan King of Crooners' too, Kay in their early days - yep, none other than Andy Williams who had them all on his show. Sponsored by Colgate too, I understand...;)

A Letter to Johnnie Talker, c/o 'Radio Snooze'...

Dear Johnnie,

I've been a fan of yours since the early seventies - back when you were the lunch-time liaison man of 'Radio Fun.' There you were riding high on the airwaves at high noon before you had a little break for your sarnies during 'Newbeat.' There's not many of us who remember those days quite so clearly as 'The Emperor' Johnnie, but luckily my long-term memory remains undimmed.

Anyway, Johnnie - I just wanted to tell you that I've been thinking about your programme from back then. You know, it had a great combination of 'gravitas' imbued with conviviality. They're not words I use lightly, Johnnie - particularly as people think I'm getting all pretentious on them when I do! No, seriously Johnnie, your show was one that was highly informative for this young DJ wannabee back in the days of industrial action, three-day weeks and power cuts. You had a daily slot with your 'Ones To Watch' where you'd signpost a single that was worthy of note. You strayed off the usual 'Playlist' path that your fellow jocks rigidly adhered to and gave the young Emperor many a valuable steer. I try to do the same on my shows even now Johnnie, only on solid gold Radio Retro FM247 - but direct our listeners back to a time when it all made more sense. Back to a time when you were charting the Top Thirty Countdown on Tuesdays and we'd all gather around The Captain's transistor radio on the top field of Pouk Hill Secondary School to see if T. Rex could wrest room at the top from Slade. They never did, Johnnie not after 'Mama Weer All Crazee Now' pipped 'Children Of The Revolution' to that coveted Number One slot. That's another story on FM247 for another day though, Johnnie. Today we're celebrating you and your 'Ones To Watch.' And without wishing to flatter you, the best radio voice your Emperor has ever heard. Keep up the good work, Johnnie - me and The Cap (my co-DJ on FM247) still think you're the bees bollies!

All the very best,

Yours sincerely,

Shrimpero

(aka 'The Emperor')

Ha - great stuff! They were championned by none other than 'The Cardigan King of Crooners' too, Kay in their early days - yep, none other than Andy Williams who had them all on his show. Sponsored by Colgate too, I understand...;)

It was his brother Jay that brought them to Andy's attention, and on Andy William's show it was our (my!) Jay, and his toothy grin and knack for following the camera with the red light on that made them so appealing to the great American public - the "ahhh!" factor....rather than the "ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!" factor which accompanies the Xfactor twins atm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp-JAZQJWcc&feature=related

Quite painful to watch now, but was considered incredibly sweet back then! Admittedly this isn't on AW but at Disneyland, but similar era and kind of where Jay Williams discovered them.

10. The Strawbs - 'Part Of The Union'

Dear Johnnie,

I've been a fan of yours since the early seventies - back when you were the lunch-time liaison man of 'Radio Fun.' There you were riding high on the airwaves at high noon before you had a little break for your sarnies during 'Newbeat.' There's not many of us who remember those days quite so clearly as 'The Emperor' Johnnie, but luckily my long-term memory remains undimmed.

Anyway, Johnnie - I just wanted to tell you that I've been thinking about your programme from back then. You know, it had a great combination of 'gravitas' imbued with conviviality. They're not words I use lightly, Johnnie - particularly as people think I'm getting all pretentious on them when I do! No, seriously Johnnie, your show was one that was highly informative for this young DJ wannabee back in the days of industrial action, three-day weeks and power cuts. You had a daily slot with your 'Ones To Watch' where you'd signpost a single that was worthy of note. You strayed off the usual 'Playlist' path that your fellow jocks rigidly adhered to and gave the young Emperor many a valuable steer. I try to do the same on my shows even now Johnnie, only on solid gold Radio Retro FM247 - but direct our listeners back to a time when it all made more sense. Back to a time when you were charting the Top Thirty Countdown on Tuesdays and we'd all gather around The Captain's transistor radio on the top field of Pouk Hill Secondary School to see if T. Rex could wrest room at the top from Slade. They never did, Johnnie not after 'Mama Weer All Crazee Now' pipped 'Children Of The Revolution' to that coveted Number One slot. That's another story on FM247 for another day though, Johnnie. Today we're celebrating you and your 'Ones To Watch.' And without wishing to flatter you, the best radio voice your Emperor has ever heard. Keep up the good work, Johnnie - me and The Cap (my co-DJ on FM247) still think you're the bees bollies!

All the very best,

Yours sincerely,

Shrimpero

(aka 'The Emperor')

"Hey, Johnnie - I hoped you'd play this little cassette entitled 'The Emperor's Ones To Watch' which I sent with my letter! Welcome aboard solid gold Radio Retro to the kind of personal broadcast which The Captain and I pioneered back in the early seventies. In those days, Johnnie, all you needed was a cassette player and mike lead and you were away - hey presto, your own personal radio station, inspired totally by you and your fellow jocks on 'Radio Fun.' There were some rum ones back then...do you remember Jimmy Senile with his wretched recipes in the morning? Then there was dear old Fluffy ... Fluffy Oldman ... who was on when we came in from school and every now and then he'd get interrrupted by that 'doo-do-do-do-doo-der' weirdo signal from Radio Tirana. Fantastic days, Johnnie! Me and The Captain belong there and we think you do too. Anyway, first up is one I'm sure you'd have played back in '73 as you always had your finger on the dial of modern broadcasting. It's by a group who were a bit avant-garde but a bit commercial too. It was a song of its times - you remember those days better than anyone as I heard you used to work on a production line yourself back before you became a pirate who rocked the world. It has a bittersweet memory for me, Johnnie. Though I loved the romance of the power cuts when my mum Elsie would get me on 'candle duty,' I also remember it as a time when me and The Captain lost contact for many years. It's too painful to revisit that scenario in too much detail, Johnnie, but I'm sure one factor was that I was a bit Tony Sideburns in my simplistic view that the miners should get back to work and stop causing my dear old mum all this havoc in the evenings. Remember, I was only twelve and it was a few years before I developed the 'right on' political consciousness for which I am righteously revered on radio. But The Captain ... well, he knew so much about these things even then ... he would tell me about the burgeoning influence of TOPIC - 'The Oil Producing Imperial Countries' of Arabia - and all I could think of was that fake Mars bar with hazelnuts in! He started to hang out with cooler guys - Lord Football and his gang. Even Perv Thomas saw more of The Cap than me back then. Anyway, Johnnie - take me back to the days of 'out, brothers out' and a time of power in a union. They wouldn't push us around like they do now, would they Johnnie ?"

Last edited:
A Letter To Steve Trite, c/o Radio Snooze...

Dear Steve,

I've been doing a bit of thinking lately about your 'Afternoon Show' that used to be on Radio Fun back in the day. Would I be right in remembering that you took over that 'bunk off school early' slot from Tony Sideburns sometime in '79 ? I certainly hope so as I hate it when I get my music references wrong. You should have seen me if I blew a quiz question those nights in 'The Ship Inn' when my Producer used to do those music quizzes a few years ago. An Emperor embarrassed is not a pretty sight, Steve, so it's probably best to humour me on this. Anyway, what I was thinking about was this ...

... on your show Steve, you used to have a character called 'Damien the Social Worker.' I don't know if you remember but Damien was always talking about the "comm - yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew - niteeeeeeee" - or 'community,' but I was just trying to get his intonation right. You may not know this, Steve, but it was you - through Damien - who inspired your Emperor to get out into the community and get a better idea of what was happening beyond my attic room. I had tended to get too absorbed in my records and 'virtual' broadcasts when what I really needed to do was connect more with the public. Luckily, my charity work - which I don't talk about that much - and my incognito 'Road Shows' give me a good interface with my listeners so that I'm pretty up to speed with the great issues of the day. So, Steve, what I'm leading up to here is a proposal which I've broadcasted via this little cassette I've sent you with this letter. As you can see, it's called 'Another True Story.'

What I'd like to propose here, Steve, is for a reintroduction of that 'Another True Story' slot on your show. You could use some of the ideas and stories The Emperor has already used on 'FM247' that I've selected for you from my very own afternoon show on Radio Retro. If you're happy with that, then my Producer would be pleased to hear from your producer, so that they can get it together. Even if you can't use these true stories here, I hope you enjoy this personal broadcast and I hope to meet you some day.

All the very best,

Shrimpero

(aka 'The Emperor')

Rob, watched "The Boat that Rocked" on the SOL coach the other week, you seen it? Right up your street I should imagine!

I must say that I thought it was a really terrible,corny film.
:thumbdown:
One of Richard Curtis's worst efforts either as a director(in this case)or as a writer.
Loved most of the music though.:cool:

Last edited:
11. Marvin Gaye - 'Abraham, Martin and John'

Dear Steve,

I've been doing a bit of thinking lately about your 'Afternoon Show' that used to be on Radio Fun back in the day. Would I be right in remembering that you took over that 'bunk off school early' slot from Tony Sideburns sometime in '79 ? I certainly hope so as I hate it when I get my music references wrong. You should have seen me if I blew a quiz question those nights in 'The Ship Inn' when my Producer used to do those music quizzes a few years ago. An Emperor embarrassed is not a pretty sight, Steve, so it's probably best to humour me on this. Anyway, what I was thinking about was this ...

... on your show Steve, you used to have a character called 'Damien the Social Worker.' I don't know if you remember but Damien was always talking about the "comm - yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew - niteeeeeeee" - or 'community,' but I was just trying to get his intonation right. You may not know this, Steve, but it was you - through Damien - who inspired your Emperor to get out into the community and get a better idea of what was happening beyond my attic room. I had tended to get too absorbed in my records and 'virtual' broadcasts when what I really needed to do was connect more with the public. Luckily, my charity work - which I don't talk about that much - and my incognito 'Road Shows' give me a good interface with my listeners so that I'm pretty up to speed with the great issues of the day. So, Steve, what I'm leading up to here is a proposal which I've broadcasted via this little cassette I've sent you with this letter. As you can see, it's called 'Another True Story.'

What I'd like to propose here, Steve, is for a reintroduction of that 'Another True Story' slot on your show. You could use some of the ideas and stories The Emperor has already used on 'FM247' that I've selected for you from my very own afternoon show on Radio Retro. If you're happy with that, then my Producer would be pleased to hear from your producer, so that they can get it together. Even if you can't use these true stories here, I hope you enjoy this personal broadcast and I hope to meet you some day.

All the very best,

Shrimpero

(aka 'The Emperor')

"OK, Steve, I'll start off the show with 'Another True Story.' This one's from the mid-eighties when your Emperor was traipsing around the estates of Bestminster, the premier borough of The City. I'm gonna have to respect the code of confidentiality that we adopt in CommCare, so for want of a better psuedonym, I'll call the guy we're going to meet 'Irate Ian'...

...it was a hot Summer's day in '86, Steve. You were on the radio that afternoon and I'd been sent to see Ian by The Controller of Charity Work at Bestminster's Area 3 Office not far from that big station featured in the famous Kinks song. The Controller was concerned that Ian had isolated himself once again and wanted me to check on his 'mood and presentation,' I think she said. So off I went, transistor in hand and ear piece playing you loud and clear. I got to that imposing Victorian block where Ian lived and avoided eye contact with the youths on the stairwell, making my way past the loafing oafs without any problem thankfully. I could smell Ian's flat a few yards before I got there, Steve. Bit of a gut-churner if truth be told. Anyway, here's my 'case record' of what happened next when I gave a cheerful ratta-tat-tat on Ian's door...

A gruff voice enquired from the other side of the door, "Who is it?"

"It's Shrimpero, from Area 3 in the comm-yeeeeeeeeeeeew-niteeeeeeee. Just come to say hello, Ian, and see how you are. The Controller sent me."

Might as well have a bit of banter with the old boy, The Emperor thought, try to start off with a bit of a grin at the very least.

"Shrimpero, ah yes, I was expecting you. Now hold on, I'll be with you in a tick. Don't go away now...I just have to attend to these locks..."

"No sweat, Mr I, your locks are your security, I know that... take your time, I won't be going anywhere."

A waft of foul-smelling pungency assailed your Emperor as the door opened slowly inwards. Irate Ian looked tall and imposing in the doorway, although he was now slightly stooped. He looked me up and down and beckoned me into the flat before turning down the dark hallway, where he shuffled past the boxes stacked on boxes towards his dank sitting room. I duly followed him, observing a routine that had stayed constant for several months. Irate Ian sat in a dusty beaten-up old armchair in the near corner of the small square-shaped room and gestured towards a once-impressive black leather sofa, ninety degrees to his chair, for your Emperor to be seated. The room was full of piles of newspapers and magazines stacked on bare floorboards, with an old radiogram and television vying for the remaining space by the window, which I noted was thankfully open. I sat at the window end of the sofa and smiled meekly at my host, who looked less downbeat than usual, reflected by the impression given that his wavy grey hair had been washed through recently.

"You're looking well, Ian - how's things?" ventured The Emperor gamely. A flicker of surprise seemed to cross Ian's saturnine gaze, but it was gone in an instant, if it was ever there at all. He paused before answering with a weary sigh, "Shrimpero...you're well meaning, but please don't try to kid a kidder. I may look like an old fool, but I know how I look and I know it's not well. 'Things' are as they always are and as you know, 'things' have never been that brilliant for me since the death of one Robert F. Cannoodly. Your damned Controller keeps going on about me taking up bowls but that's a death sentence if ever there was one!"

"Ah well, I guess she's just trying to encourage you to get out and maybe meet people again. It's a long time since you stepped across that threshold of your front door, I'd guess..."

"Look, I know what she's trying to do dammit, but you know the saying - a gentleman's home is his castle and I don't have to endure fools here if I don't wish to."

Your Emperor nodded in a psuedo-sagely fashion and decided to try a different tack rather than antagonise my potentially more irate host.

"So tell me more about what you've been up to lately...I remember you used to like that old guy on Radio Bore."

"The 'old guy' to whom you refer is the great Alistair Book, one of the finest journalists of his or any generation. And the 'chat' was 'A Letter From Antlantica,' a charming discourse on contemporary events in the greatest country in the world. We've not heard broadcasting like that before or since. The man is a master of the trade and will never be superseded, do you understand, never! And he also made a broadcast about Bobby Cannoodly!"

Your Emperor noted that Irate Ian looked animated, hunched forward in his armchair. He recognised that pose, the one that usually meant he was ready to hold forth on one of his conspiracy theories. I tried to keep calm as Ian waved his arms furiously, then shouting at me, "Bobby Cannoodly! What do you know about the murder of Bobby Cannoodly?!"

"Ah, well, he was Jack Cannoodly's brother, and featured in that song, 'Abraham, Martin & John.' You remember that best-known version by Marvin Gaye. .."has anybody here seen my old friend Bobby, he freed a lot of people but you know the good die young..." ? He got shot during the '68 Presidential election, didn't he? By that Arabian guy with the same names, Duran Duran, wasn't it? Apparently Cannoodly was pro-Zionovia and Duran wasn't happy about that - that was more or less it, wasn't it?"

"Ha - well, Shrimpero, you're in good company in getting it wrong. The great Alistair Book was on the scene in the pantry of The Ambassador Hotel in Los Alamos that night and even he reported that Duran Duran shot Cannoodly. But it was more complicated than that... much, much more complicated."

"Er, I have a feeling that you're going to tell me it was a conspiracy?"

"Damn right, sunshine! It was the crime of the century. Incredibly well-executed, so to speak. Well, Duran was a hypno-programmed patsy and there's no way he could have killed Cannoodly. He was always a few feet in front of him when he pulled the trigger, but the fatal bullet was fired inches from behind Bobby's ear. The good money is on a security guard who pulled Cannoodly down and started shooting in the pantry. Turned out that the guard was an employee of Lockspeed, who coincidentally supplied the engines for the helicopters used in the Albanian War, which Cannoodly would have got Atlantica out of double-quick if he'd been elected in '68."

"Hmm - an interesting theory, but it does sound a trifle far-fetched, Ian, even in comparison with your other ones...the Mafia and renegade CIA being involved in Jack Cannoodly's killing...all that stuff about the Roswell incident...the Atlantican involvement in the Chile coup I can swallow, but this, I don't think so...and what is 'hypno-programming' anyway?"

"Good boy, you have been listening. Have you ever seen the film, 'The Manchurian Candidate' ? No? Well, you should... hypno-programming was a 'mind control' technique devised by CIA scientists in the '50s. Hold on, I should have something about it over here..."

Your Emperor watched as Irate Ian moved towards the piles of newspapers and magazines stacked on the floor and was amazed as he picked out the papers he wanted in one swipe. "Yes," declared Ian, reading from a yellowy parchment, "hypno-programming was developed during the 'MK Ultra' experiments and 'Project Artichoke.' Let me read this for you...'can an individual be made to perform an act of attempted assassination under the influence of artichoke? As a trigger mechanism for a bigger project, it was proposed that an individual be induced under artichoke to perform an act, involuntarily, of attempted assassination against a prominent politician or, if necessary, against an Atlantican official.' Pretty scary, hey my boy? Well listen to this, it gets worse ...
'approximately twenty-two per cent of the population can be described as highly hypnotiseable and can be programmed to do something against their nature. If we get a highly hypnotiseable person who is subject to the proper programming under controlled conditions and is subject to some degree of supervision, and exposed to the target within a reasonable range, it is quite possible and even probable that he will comply with the programme and end up not being fully aware of what he's doing...' So you see Shrimpero, this is what happened to Duran... he cannot remember anything leading up to what happened that night in the pantry. He was described by witnesses as being in a trance-like state during the shooting and has not been allowed to be de-programmed ever since. It is my understanding that he was the decoy for the real shooter in the pantry that night and the greatest country in the world was denied the greatest leader they never had, someone who was keen to eradicate the poverty that he had witnessed whilst he was a Senator and determined to take the country out of the Albanian War. The military-industrial complex could not allow that and the man had enemies, yes renegade CIA operatives who blamed the Cannoodlys for the humiliation of the Bay of Piglets, Mafia leaders who didn't want him busting their operations again and Hoaxer at the FBI, the list goes on. Anyway, I can see you're looking tired. What say I make us a nice cup of tea?"

"Whew, thanks Ian, but I tell ya, I've gotta be going. I promised The Controller I'd be back by now. But before I go, did you know that song was actually written Dion, the old do-woop artist? It's true, you know..."

So there you have it, Steve, another true story courtesy of Radio Binfield. I wonder whatever happened to Irate Ian...anyway, I'd be grateful if you could play Marvin's classic version of this song for him. Cheers, Steve. Stay tuned and I'll be back with another true story before you can say 'MK Ultra'!"

Last edited:
12. The Jam - 'A Town Called Malice'

"Hope you've got some good material to work with from that last track, Simes. Just staying in the playground a bit longer, my co-DJ and esteemed old pal The Captain has asked me to dedicate a song to the teacher who used to run Earls Hall's footy teams - Mr. Cricko. Just a word here about 'The Cap' - as he's affectionately known on FM247, Simes - and it's this. He's not one to cultivate a public image like your Emperor ... no, he likes to remain in the background ... but like Mr. Cricko did, he sees everything. Well, The Cap just wants to say sorry - he ran the whole length of the pitch and stuck two fingers up to Mr. Cricko after he scored the winning goal against our rivals, Darlinghurst. See, Simes - the Cap was upset that Mr C had left him out of the Hall side in favour of a clod called Ginge Dullboy. However, Scotch Thomas cried off as it was a freezing morning that Saturday in Westcliff but luckily The Cap and his grand-dad had come along to watch. Brought his boots in case anyone got injured and lo and behold, he only scores the winning goal! Fantastic stuff, Simes - from the days of real 'Boys Own' adventures!

It takes me back too, Simes, this record. We used to really enjoy our playground footy. All of Earls Hall's finest were there - Ginge Dullboy, Perv and Scotch Thomas, even Shorty Mendip too. You'll notice these nomenclatural anomalies in our broadcasts, Simes - we can't really give out these lads' real names or their dads will come 'round. You know how it is. In the playground, every boy had a nickname - for example, the Thomas twins - 'Perv' and 'Scotch.' Perv got caught out playing in his room one day by Scotchy and never lived it down. Scotchy got caught raiding his dad Handlebar's drinks cabinet. Then there was The Cap - or 'Wiz Winegum' as he was called at school. He loved those winegums and he was such a 'wiz' with the school-work. I'm sure it's a boy thing going on here, Simes - I can't remember us having nicknames about girls, well not in those days of innocence in 'the old schoolyard.' I mean just look at dear old Cat Stevens - who ever heard of a boy called 'Cat'? Great record though, Cat - and here's hoping that it helps Mr. Cricko to forgive The Captain after all these years. Might be a tough one to make melancholic or mawkish, Simes - but if anyone can do it, you can! Anyway, good luck and let me know how you get on..."

Simon - it's time the tale were told about our publicity man, Shorty Mendip. Don't call him that to his face whatever you do though 'cause as he once told your Emperor, 'I may be small but I can do a lot of damage' before he let out one of his eerie cackles. As I told you recently, Simes, none of us Southend boys operate under our real names here. You'll remember from your own schooldays that we all had nicknames. Right, now that's clear, I'd like you to dedicate this little 'Our Tune' to the wee man...

Far out on the northern end of Bridgewater Drive, Simon, there is an enmeshed enclave called Mendip. Now going back many a year, your Emperor used to run the gauntlet of a gang of ruffians called 'The Treecotters' - who were the Mendip boys' sworn enemies - en route to my cub scout group at St. Keddies Church. I used to deliver papers on Mendip, Simes, and it's a world within a world. Everyone knew each other there and though it was friendly most of the time, it could turn rough too. Anyway, Mendip was the first Southend Housing Corporation project to be built after the Second World War. That's when my dad Jack came down to Westcliff on a building prayer and met my mum Elsie. Dad did some of the work on those Corporation houses and when he got to run his own business, he often turned to those tough Mendip men he had a lot of time for. Anyway, Simes, please forgive my digression...I guess I was just keen to give you an idea of the geo-political landscape of that area of my home town.

Shorty Mendip, Simes, was a genuine lad. No frills, no nonsense. He had a terrible temper though so you had to be careful. He loved animals and he loved drawing. He had difficulty with some of the schoolwork at Earls Hall, but no-one from round our way held that against him. He was a very loyal friend too, Simes, and one night after a particularly good cub scout group where we had a fantastic free for all footy game on Mendip Green, Shorty said he'd come up Bridgewater Drive with me and get a bottle of pop up at the off-license. His mum had given him a couple of bottles to take back and he was able to keep most of the deposit money. The one snag, Simes, was that we had to go past Treecott and that could mean trouble. Not that night though - no, not with Shorty at my side. There he was swinging those bottles gaily in his walking stride and laughing about some of the fun we'd just had in that rough and tumble game on the green, when a group of Treecotters approached us. There were four of those loafing oafs, Simes - their usual trick was to say 'you got the time?' then punch you in the guts and run off with your sweets money. However, on this occasion, just as they got close, they seemed to get scared when they saw Shorty and just put their heads down and crossed the road. It was fantastic, Simon - I wish you'd been there to see it. I think that tells you all you need to know about his potential.

I lost touch with Shorty when I went to that posh grammar school and when mum moved us out to Eastwood. They were difficult times for me, Simes, and I often wondered what had happened to that tough little fella. Anyway, years later, I was involved in a DJ charity bash for Runwell Hospital Radio down on the seafront and I recognised this chunky chappie who came up and requested this song. Apparently, he'd had to do some time in Broadmoor Secure Hospital after putting a hammer to the head of some idiot who'd set off a firework in a Corporation wheelie-bin where he and some other 'Treecotters' had trapped a cat. Shorty loved cats most of all, Simes - sometimes he'd say they were his only true friends. After Broadmoor, he got transferred to Runwell, which though it still had its locked wards, was a relative sanctuary of calm in the Wickford hinterlands. So up he comes and says he wants 'A Town Called Mendip' and I say, 'Mendip ?' and he says 'yeah, Mendip' then quotes me all the words of this song but substitutes the word 'malice' for 'Mendip.' Tell you what, Simes - so glad I had that little seven-incher in my vinyl vault that night 'cause I hate to think what might have happened if Shorty hadn't been able to do his boisterous, windmill motion dance-mosh after reciting me the ly-rics!

So, just to cap it all off, Simes, there's a happy ending here too. When I told my Producer about Shorty and his capacities for drawing and ...um...security, he said that he'd look into 'some options' via our new found Lottery funding. And yes, you guessed it ...The Producer fixed it ... Shorty's our publicity man now and he's also the caretaker of 'The Southern Star' - our ship in Harbour Head - and he always looks after my dear little cat Oscar when I've got to go off on my Road Shows. So 'stop dreaming of the quiet life' Shorty because today and every day, you're our main man on Radio Retro ... getting our posters out there for the mighty public, well except to Treecott, of course! Hope you can say the right words for me here, Simes. Good luck and let me know how you get on..."

A Letter To Mike Lead, c/o 'Classic Old' Radio Station...

Dear Mike,

I hope this letter finds you well and I hope that the good people at 'Classic Old' redirected it to you without too much problem. I just wanted to say that I miss you not being on the radio these days, but I've got a little idea that I hope might bring you back into the limelight. Bear with me on this, Mike - it may sound a bit wacky, but I've been giving it a lot of thought. It's like this ... do you remember doing a show called 'Round Table' on the old Radio Fun on Friday evenings in the late seventies and early eighties ? Well, I remember and it was a great show. You used to have two guests on with you and you'd discuss the new releases and generally have a bit of a chat. You had a great way with you, Mike - humourous and decent. Yes, decent - I know that's a terribly old-fashioned word now, Mike, but it's still important you know, that idea of decency. It governs my every waking move and it's the credo of the radio station I broadcast from - solid gold Radio Retro.

OK Mike - what I'd like to propose is this. I wondered if you'd like to return to a Round Table compere slot on our station, FM247, with me in one of those chairs around that table and a special guest who we could discuss a song with ? It might make more sense if you had a listen to this cassette I've enclosed where I run through a few ideas. I'm looking to you for guidance, humour and decency here, Mike, and I'm hoping that this will remind the public of what we've lost on our airwaves in the intervening years. Please give it some thought, Mike, and whatever you decide, I'll respect your decision and won't bug you about it. No pressure, old chum, but I'd be delighted if you could consider this suggestion positively and here's hoping we can get around your famous Round Table one day soon! If it's a goer, then please get your people to have a word with my Producer - he's just itching to work with you, as am I! OK, Mike, I'll leave it there for now and hope for the best...

All good ones and may your vinyl never warp.

Yours sincerely,

Shrimpero

(aka 'The Emperor')

13. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - 'Night Rally'

Dear Mike,

I hope this letter finds you well and I hope that the good people at 'Classic Old' redirected it to you without too much problem. I just wanted to say that I miss you not being on the radio these days, but I've got a little idea that I hope might bring you back into the limelight. Bear with me on this, Mike - it may sound a bit wacky, but I've been giving it a lot of thought. It's like this ... do you remember doing a show called 'Round Table' on the old Radio Fun on Friday evenings in the late seventies and early eighties ? Well, I remember and it was a great show. You used to have two guests on with you and you'd discuss the new releases and generally have a bit of a chat. You had a great way with you, Mike - humourous and decent. Yes, decent - I know that's a terribly old-fashioned word now, Mike, but it's still important you know, that idea of decency. It governs my every waking move and it's the credo of the radio station I broadcast from - solid gold Radio Retro.

OK Mike - what I'd like to propose is this. I wondered if you'd like to return to a Round Table compere slot on our station, FM247, with me in one of those chairs around that table and a special guest who we could discuss a song with ? It might make more sense if you had a listen to this cassette I've enclosed where I run through a few ideas. I'm looking to you for guidance, humour and decency here, Mike, and I'm hoping that this will remind the public of what we've lost on our airwaves in the intervening years. Please give it some thought, Mike, and whatever you decide, I'll respect your decision and won't bug you about it. No pressure, old chum, but I'd be delighted if you could consider this suggestion positively and here's hoping we can get around your famous Round Table one day soon! If it's a goer, then please get your people to have a word with my Producer - he's just itching to work with you, as am I! OK, Mike, I'll leave it there for now and hope for the best...

All good ones and may your vinyl never warp.

Yours sincerely,

Shrimpero

(aka 'The Emperor')

"Welcome to the sound of 'almost live' radio, Mike - solid gold Radio Retro! You'll remember this record from 1978, a time of great tension on our fair island when Elvis played this one at a rally in Brockwell Park where the Anti-Nasty League had marched to. Amonst our number that day was a young man called Rupert Paintbrush. We nicknamed him 'Spart' because of his penchant for polemics of a left-wing kind. Well, young Rupert's changed a bit over the years and he's become a successful mental health magnate - he oversees a vast empire of residential care for ex-patients of Runwell Hospital, where I'm currently broadcasting from. Sir Rupert, as he now is, Mike, has done very well for himself. He always had a thrusting personality and he seems to have rode the waves of recession and boom with admirable equanimity. I'm a bit concerned though, Mike, as to just how ethical his business really is and if we were to sit him down at our Round Table and discuss this record with us, I wonder if we'd have any joy in teasing out any of these 'contradictions' which I feel might be lurking here ...

I'd like to share some of my concerns about these contradictions with you, Mike. Now just hear me out if you don't mind. I always liked the way you'd give your guests a bit of space to wax lyrical on various subjects. Well, it's like this, Mike...I've been involved in this mental health malarkey for many a year. Much of my charity work involves empathising with people who've experienced quite severe and enduring psychiatric problems, and even your Emperor himself has succumbed to an odd distressed moment or two. So, none of us are immune to the li'l trickeries of the mind, Mike. I dare say you've had a moment yourself. Anyway, Mike, what really concerns me here is the 'hand in hand' nature of the private and the public interests going on. See, Sir Rupert's empire is founded on a filter system operated by nursing staff who double up as workers in his care homes as well as on the wards of Runwell. They're his 'eyes and ears' who sniff out prospective long-term residents that our withering welfare state then funds at great expense in a Paintbrush Care Emporium. They know who'll carry a big bounty of a care fee once they've made the transition from public to private domains. This system really took off in the eighties, Mike, but mushroomed in the nineties with the new CommCare legislation. It is without doubt the neatest trademark of our times and a great illustration of how a once public service has now become a privatised practice. The big worry for public service broadcasters like myself, Mike, is this ... when you start bracketing cash and care, what will come first? These are the issues I'd like us to explore with Sir Rupert via this song, Mike. Don't underestimate him or his ilk, Mike - don't go thinking he's so dumb and he's so funny ... oh no, just wait until he gets you along to his night rally. You've been warned, Mike. It's not a road that I want to be frog-marched down, Mike, but unfortunately once you set a fox into the chicken coop, there's usually only one outcome. Yep, you got it - blood, feathers and entrails. And a fox with a big grin on his face and a bloated belly. Guess I better play the song then, huh?"

'The Late Show' - A Requiem For John Zeal

Dear reader,

For those of you who have read our 'pop novel,' you may have noticed that I have been re-treading its format in presenting The Emperor's new monologues to the original DJs featured, ie Tony Sideburns, Simon Mates, Johnnie Talker, Steve Trite and Mike Lead, and that these DJ's have names and shows that are very similar to those of ex-Radio One DJ's. There is one DJ featured in the original who The Emperor has not written anything to as yet - 'John Zeal.' The original DJ who the 'Zeal' character is based on was, of course, the legendary John Peel, who died a few years after we originally went to print. It has taken me a little while to think about how I am going to negotiate this potentially poorly received idea of a deranged DJ writing and broadcasting to a character based on a deceased and much-loved DJ. The following is my way of reconciling the world of Radio Retro with this reality...

John Peel was a hugely influential and important figure for me and many of my generation. He also touched other generations too, before and since the times when I was listening avidly to him in my attic room in the late seventies, bored stiff with homework and wanting to be up in London and seeing some of the bands he was bringing to my attention via his 'Late Show.' My co-author loved him so much that he would tape his shows and then - joy of joys - send me excerpts of them years later when we resumed our friendship, banging down tracks that I needed to hear with John's droll remarks in their wake. It was one of those days of numb sadness when we heard the news of his death and, coming not long after the death of another of our heroes, Joe Strummer, it seemed to signify something of our own delicate mortality. We were now the generation whose friends were dying.

I hope never to forget John Peel's joy in bringing the music of relatively unknown bands and individuals to a wider audience. I have never forgotten the unintentional cruelty of people in not acknowledging the death of someone close either. These may seem two entirely unrelated points. This is just my way of saying that it would be wrong not to have a place for 'John Zeal' in any new writing about this Radio Retro malarkey. So, in keeping with the original format we had, I intend to to keep a slot for 'Zealy' in our schedules and just in case anyone ever gets upset about the idea of me writing anything to or about the late 'John Zeal' then this is my explanation. As The Emperor might say, "...you heard it here first, only on solid gold Radio Retro," so please stay tuned and as dear Joe once said, "don't touch that dial!"

Yours faithfully,

Shrimpero

14. Prince - 'Nothing Compares2u'

"It's been several years since you left our airwaves, John, and things have never really seemed right for your Emperor since. There have been times here at Runwell when I've wondered whether my broadcasting career was over too. But playing all these tapes The Captain left me of your 'Late Show' has convinced me that there's life in this old dog yet. When I think back to that halcyon period when you turned us on to all things spiky ragamuffin and saved us from the boredom of those prog rockin' po-faces, I could quite literally sit and weep at the thought of the passing of a young life. But guess what, John ? I think back and remember that you were in your late thirties when you became enthused by punk rock and then I realise again that it's not age that matters - it's attitude. And you had it in abundance. With these tapes, you're still with me. You continue to inspire me and The Captain every day. We are committed - some say we should be - to bringing some neglected records to the attention of the mighty listening public and imbuing them with our own notions of the meaning behind these wonderful treasures. It's a very personal journey that we're on, John, but your devotion to your craft - the hours you would spend preparing your shows and the absolute joy... in your own droll way of course... that you conveyed in bringing us these golden nuggets - well, that's all me and The Captain need to reflect on when we're having a bad day behind the mike. So, without any more pontification ... as I know you hated all that ... I'm going to play you and The Captain the original version of this song, by that little dude from out West. Sure he don't need no promotion from us, but when all's said and done, I reckon every now and then the public need to be reminded from where the originals came. You were an original, John. And like the song says, 'nothing compares to you' ... all the best, old buddy."

15. Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - 'I'm Straight'

"Moving out of the old schoolyard now, Simes, I'd like to take you on a little tour of my new home. My Occupational Therapist, Mrs S, has found me a lovely little care home just opposite Southend Pier. I've got a fantastic view from this old hotel room all the way along the longest pier in the world. And the dude who runs the show here, well he's some cool guy. We all call him 'Hippy Johnny' due to his penchant for his patched denim and pony-tail ... yeah, we all know it's retro, Simes, but retro is cool these days, man ! Anyway, Simes, I'm wondering if you could play this next 'Our Tune' for Hippy Johnny, as it's the song where I got his nick-name from. He kinda likes it, you know, and he's happy to indulge me in a bit of banter about music. As you can imagine, he's into Grateful Dead, Bob Boring and all that sixties stuff. I've been telling him about Jay-Z and all the great developments in music in the intervening years, but you can't learn him, Simes. He's even more retro than your Emperor and that is indeed saying something !

So, the story with Johnny, Simes, is that he's the warden of Pier View Court and he's here to check that me and the other guys in this rehab unit are managing okay before we're let loose in the world again. 'PVC' - as we call Pier View Court, Simes - is what they used to call a 'halfway house' between the asylum and the big wide world. Mrs S comes in to see how I'm doing too and complete my Care Programme Review and everyone's happy. Long as I keep quiet about all that conspiracy and hypno-programming stuff, there doesn't seem to be a problem. And if Johnny ever sees me getting uptight, he's over with his Nepalese rug and getting me to lay down and do some of his meditation-relaxation exercises. He's so chilled, Simes - every home should have a Hippy Johnny you know, then the world would be a much calmer place, that's for sure. So, I'd appreciate it if you could dedicate this little ditty to the man who makes it so serene, our one and only Mr. Johnny Green - that's his real name, Simes - and make sure you've got some joss-sticks going on in your studio when you play it, Simes, just so you've got the vibe too. Will you do it for me, man ? Hey, that's good of you, Simes. Good luck and let me know how you get on ..."

Last edited:
16. Alice Cooper - 'Big Apple Dreamin'

"Moving out of the old schoolyard now, Simes, I'd like to take you on a little tour of my new home. My Occupational Therapist, Mrs S, has found me a lovely little care home just opposite Southend Pier. I've got a fantastic view from this old hotel room all the way along the longest pier in the world. And the dude who runs the show here, well he's some cool guy. We all call him 'Hippy Johnny' due to his penchant for his patched denim and pony-tail ... yeah, we all know it's retro, Simes, but retro is cool these days, man ! Anyway, Simes, I'm wondering if you could play this next 'Our Tune' for Hippy Johnny, as it's the song where I got his nick-name from. He kinda likes it, you know, and he's happy to indulge me in a bit of banter about music. As you can imagine, he's into Grateful Dead, Bob Boring and all that sixties stuff. I've been telling him about Jay-Z and all the great developments in music in the intervening years, but you can't learn him, Simes. He's even more retro than your Emperor and that is indeed saying something !

So, the story with Johnny, Simes, is that he's the warden of Pier View Court and he's here to check that me and the other guys in this rehab unit are managing okay before we're let loose in the world again. 'PVC' - as we call Pier View Court, Simes - is what they used to call a 'halfway house' between the asylum and the big wide world. Mrs S comes in to see how I'm doing too and complete my Care Programme Review and everyone's happy. Long as I keep quiet about all that conspiracy and hypno-programming stuff, there doesn't seem to be a problem. And if Johnny ever sees me getting uptight, he's over with his Nepalese rug and getting me to lay down and do some of his meditation-relaxation exercises. He's so chilled, Simes - every home should have a Hippy Johnny you know, then the world would be a much calmer place, that's for sure. So, I'd appreciate it if you could dedicate this little ditty to the man who makes it so serene, our one and only Mr. Johnny Green - that's his real name, Simes - and make sure you've got some joss-sticks going on in your studio when you play it, Simes, just so you've got the vibe too. Will you do it for me, man ? Hey, that's good of you, Simes. Good luck and let me know how you get on ..."

"This next track I'd like you to play in your 'Ones To Watch,' Johnnie, is about my Residential Support Worker - a guy me and the other fellas nick-named 'Hippy Johnny.' I told Simes all about him in an 'Our Tune' I recently sent him. Not heard back from Simes yet, so feel free to give him a nudge from your Emperor when you next run into him at one of your jocks' gatherings. Anyway, this one is all about a personal radio broadcast that Johnny received from my Radio Retro DJ buddy, The Captain. Cap gave him this the day he left Pier View Court to head out west to 'The Southern Star,' the home of Radio Retro out on Harbour Head in the Celtic enclave of this fair island. Johnny told me how after a shift at our little residential rehab unit for recovering recidivists, he likes to head out west himself, just beyond 'The Old Town' to some hills near the remains of Hadleigh Castle. When he's up there, he rolls out his Albanian rug on the dewy grass, rolls up a ciggy and contemplates life from that lofty vantage point above the railway line that connects Southend to 'the smoke.' Recently, he's been looking over the railway tracks to Canvey Island and listening in to The Cap's broadcast, which he's called 'Big Apple Dreaming' - after an early seventies album track by Alice Cooper. I think it would make a good tune for your 'Ones To Watch,' Johnnie, not only because it's from the time when you had this slot on your show, but also because it's a song of hope, about making our big city dreams come true. As Alice says, "Let's move from Ohio, sell this damn old store ..."

"Johnny's done me a copy of the tape, Johnnie, and if you don't mind, I'd just like to play a bit for you to give you an idea of the material that reverberates around the world of Radio Retro. The Cap reckons you've got the best voice on radio, so don't be surprised if a bit of his imitation of you is going on here. It is the 'sincerest form of flattery' and all that, so don't mind us, we just really dig you ! OK, here goes ... lights, action, roll 'em ..."

"Hello Johnny, this is your Captain public speaking. I think you already know this, but it's fair to say that I have lived a life of the imagination on the radio airwaves. This life has taken me beyond the stifling constraints of everyday mundanity. Whilst I've been at Pier View Court under your liberal but caring regime, I've been engaged in a little radio project which I'd like to share with you as a gift of thanks for allowing me to be myself. This cassette contains some golden nuggets which I've assembled over the years, and I'd like to kick off proceedings with the title track of this broadcast, a paean to the greatest city in the world…"

17. Louis Armstrong - 'We Have All The Time In The World'

"This next track I'd like you to play in your 'Ones To Watch,' Johnnie, is about my Residential Support Worker - a guy me and the other fellas nick-named 'Hippy Johnny.' I told Simes all about him in an 'Our Tune' I recently sent him. Not heard back from Simes yet, so feel free to give him a nudge from your Emperor when you next run into him at one of your jocks' gatherings. Anyway, this one is all about a personal radio broadcast that Johnny received from my Radio Retro DJ buddy, The Captain. Cap gave him this the day he left Pier View Court to head out west to 'The Southern Star,' the home of Radio Retro out on Harbour Head in the Celtic enclave of this fair island. Johnny told me how after a shift at our little residential rehab unit for recovering recidivists, he likes to head out west himself, just beyond 'The Old Town' to some hills near the remains of Hadleigh Castle. When he's up there, he rolls out his Albanian rug on the dewy grass, rolls up a ciggy and contemplates life from that lofty vantage point above the railway line that connects Southend to 'the smoke.' Recently, he's been looking over the railway tracks to Canvey Island and listening in to The Cap's broadcast, which he's called 'Big Apple Dreaming' - after an early seventies album track by Alice Cooper. I think it would make a good tune for your 'Ones To Watch,' Johnnie, not only because it's from the time when you had this slot on your show, but also because it's a song of hope, about making our big city dreams come true. As Alice says, "Let's move from Ohio, sell this damn old store ..."

"Johnny's done me a copy of the tape, Johnnie, and if you don't mind, I'd just like to play a bit for you to give you an idea of the material that reverberates around the world of Radio Retro. The Cap reckons you've got the best voice on radio, so don't be surprised if a bit of his imitation of you is going on here. It is the 'sincerest form of flattery' and all that, so don't mind us, we just really dig you ! OK, here goes ... lights, action, roll 'em ..."

"Hello Johnny, this is your Captain public speaking. I think you already know this, but it's fair to say that I have lived a life of the imagination on the radio airwaves. This life has taken me beyond the stifling constraints of everyday mundanity. Whilst I've been at Pier View Court under your liberal but caring regime, I've been engaged in a little radio project which I'd like to share with you as a gift of thanks for allowing me to be myself. This cassette contains some golden nuggets which I've assembled over the years, and I'd like to kick off proceedings with the title track of this broadcast, a paean to the greatest city in the world…"

"Hope you enjoyed that one, Johnny. My guess is that you probably saw Alice Cooper as a bit of a threat to all that peace and love stuff you were into back then. Anyway, it's not my intention to re-start any of those music wars of yesteryear ... the key issue here is that all of the records on this little show are designed to provide the back-drop to this strange but true story, which I would like to unfurl as you lay down on your famous Albanian rug in the contemplation and relaxation mode for which you are rightly revered in your residential rehabilitation role. It is a story of a family ripped asunder by war, intrigue and infidelity, though not necessarily in that order. Now sit back as I would like to tell you about the father that I have never known ... he was given his name 'Louis' because my grand-father loved Louis Armstrong. You remember my grand-father, don't you ? Ha, that's right … I bet you could never forget Sergeant Jack Woodgrange, the one-man task force who kept a mean beat on that sleazy Southend seafront when he was a humble Constable. He loved Louis Armstrong more than anyone or anything. I remember him sat in his favourite armchair chewing the squares off those huge bars of Dairy Milk on Sunday afternoons, as he tapped his infamous size thirteens to Louis bop-bop-bopping out one of his jaunty offerings. This one was used in a James Bond film if I remember and it always reminds me of my grand-father and - by association - Louis Woodgrange too. I try to picture my father out there in the States ... oh sorry, that's where he set sail to back in 1960, just a few months before I was born. They were times of hope, Jack Woodgrange said, for the younger generation. Louis wanted to be part of it apparently. He was still in his twenties when he left Southend for that Atlantic dream. Jack said that he couldn't handle being a father and that it was all part of his own complicated family history. I’ll tell you more about that once we hear some essential Satchmo, so stay tuned and don’t touch that dial …”

Last edited:
18. The Ronettes - 'Be My Baby'

"Hope you enjoyed that one, Johnny. My guess is that you probably saw Alice Cooper as a bit of a threat to all that peace and love stuff you were into back then. Anyway, it's not my intention to re-start any of those music wars of yesteryear ... the key issue here is that all of the records on this little show are designed to provide the back-drop to this strange but true story, which I would like to unfurl as you lay down on your famous Albanian rug in the contemplation and relaxation mode for which you are rightly revered in your residential rehabilitation role. It is a story of a family ripped asunder by war, intrigue and infidelity, though not necessarily in that order. Now sit back as I would like to tell you about the father that I have never known ... he was given his name 'Louis' because my grand-father loved Louis Armstrong. You remember my grand-father, don't you ? Ha, that's right … I bet you could never forget Sergeant Jack Woodgrange, the one-man task force who kept a mean beat on that sleazy Southend seafront when he was a humble Constable. He loved Louis Armstrong more than anyone or anything. I remember him sat in his favourite armchair chewing the squares off those huge bars of Dairy Milk on Sunday afternoons, as he tapped his infamous size thirteens to Louis bop-bop-bopping out one of his jaunty offerings. This one was used in a James Bond film if I remember and it always reminds me of my grand-father and - by association - Louis Woodgrange too. I try to picture my father out there in the States ... oh sorry, that's where he set sail to back in 1960, just a few months before I was born. They were times of hope, Jack Woodgrange said, for the younger generation. Louis wanted to be part of it apparently. He was still in his twenties when he left Southend for that Atlantic dream. Jack said that he couldn't handle being a father and that it was all part of his own complicated family history. I’ll tell you more about that once we hear some essential Satchmo, so stay tuned and don’t touch that dial …”

"Ah, I still find that incredibly moving even though I must have played it a thousand times. Don't know about you, Johnny, but I find the best records are the ones that take you through the good times as well as the bad times. I always try to imagine my Dad when I hear that. I wished I'd known him, you know. My grand-dad told me stuff about him, but he was still only a young man when he upped and left for the States. Apparently, he had a little black moustache curled upwards at the sides, just like the original King Zog had before he fled Albania back in '39. Grand-dad said that Dad was somehow related to the Albanian Royal Family and that he was packed aboard this tugboat that docked at Tilbury just before the outbreak of the Second World War. Dad was only four years old then and he was being looked after by one of the women in this crew of Albanian refugees. She was under strict instructions from their Royals that she was to hand young Perlat Hasani, as Dad was then known before grand-dad renamed him 'Louis Woodgrange,' over to the care of the British State. PC Jack Woodgrange was one of the first at the scene and he took an immediate shine to 'the little fella,' as he called him. His dear wife and my late grand-mother, Ruby, was delighted when he came home with 'Shorty Woodgrange' that night. There weren't so many questions asked back then you know, Johnny, and they brought little Louis up just like he was one of their own. Incredible to think that you could adopt a child in need without all that fuss you get these days. But there you go, they were different times then and like Jack always said, '...no point you troubling trouble till trouble troubles you.' Anyway, Johnny, this next one's for Jack, Ruby and Louis and it kind of sums up their need to become a family before too many people asked too many questions."

Last edited:
19. Nancy Sinatra - 'These Boots Were Made For Walkin'

"Ah, I still find that incredibly moving even though I must have played it a thousand times. Don't know about you, Johnny, but I find the best records are the ones that take you through the good times as well as the bad times. I always try to imagine my Dad when I hear that. I wished I'd known him, you know. My grand-dad told me stuff about him, but he was still only a young man when he upped and left for the States. Apparently, he had a little black moustache curled upwards at the sides, just like the original King Zog had before he fled Albania back in '39. Grand-dad said that Dad was somehow related to the Albanian Royal Family and that he was packed aboard this tugboat that docked at Tilbury just before the outbreak of the Second World War. Dad was only four years old then and he was being looked after by one of the women in this crew of Albanian refugees. She was under strict instructions from their Royals that she was to hand young Perlat Hasani, as Dad was then known before grand-dad renamed him 'Louis Woodgrange,' over to the care of the British State. PC Jack Woodgrange was one of the first at the scene and he took an immediate shine to 'the little fella,' as he called him. His dear wife and my late grand-mother, Ruby, was delighted when he came home with 'Shorty Woodgrange' that night. There weren't so many questions asked back then you know, Johnny, and they brought little Louis up just like he was one of their own. Incredible to think that you could adopt a child in need without all that fuss you get these days. But there you go, they were different times then and like Jack always said, '...no point you troubling trouble till trouble troubles you.' Anyway, Johnny, this next one's for Jack, Ruby and Louis and it kind of sums up their need to become a family before too many people asked too many questions."

"So there you have it, Johnny - my dad was the 'Baby Perlat' of his generation, long before Social Services were invented. Although I'm sure that his displacement from his real family did cause him some anguish, he did at least grow up in a loving family, though my grand-dad was known for his fierce discipline and his legendary threats to put the tenth hole of his size thirteens 'right up yer jacksie' if you disobeyed him. Grand-dad told me how his boy Louis was a fantastic tennis player and how he liked to play with the toffs at The White Hall tennis club down near the brook at the bottom of Wellstead Gardens. He came home late after a mixed doubles match one night and Ruby had got all worried about him.

'The boy were a little chancer sometimes, but just one point of me finger to me boot was enough to send him off to his room and he'd be quiet fer a couple of days and not give Rube no trouble. You'd have liked him, son, you really would...'

"That was what my grand-dad said to me a lot in his last days when the old days were clearer in his mind than the more recent times. I'll never forget your kindness, Johnny, when you were looking after him in the sheltered housing block that became his home after he had his stroke. You were a brilliant warden there ... sorry, Sheltered Housing Support Worker ... and I can see you're just so made for this work. I loved that 'Music and Memories' group you used to run for the old folks there. That gave me a few ideas for some of my shows on 'Radio Retro' and I recently heard that Sir Rupert Paintbrush, the patron of Runwell Radio's 'Rehabilitation via Reminiscence' Project, wants to export the idea to his own Care Homes Emporium pretty damn quick. You better get a patent on that, Johnny, or the wily old opportunist will claim that idea as his own as well ! OK, enough talk and more music. This next one's for my grand-dad and his famous footwear. You ready, boots ? "

Radio Radio - (1) 'Your Song'

Bear with me good people of ShrimperZone. I'm hoping to attend a 'Performing Radio Drama' (ok yah) course next week and the organisers are looking for short 5-15 min. scripts. As you know, I'm an unqualified writer and have never done one of these before, so here's my first go at it, adapted from (as ever) FM247: This Is Radio Binfield! ...

The opening scene - 'Five Years':

A wintry harbour. The wind is whistling, getting louder in its intensity. We hear the sound of a man coughing. We can just hear him saying " ...five lovely years. That's what she said, we've had five lovely years." His voice sounds strained and choked. The wind picks up again and we can hear the waves crashing against a (harbour) wall nearby. David Bowie's 'Five Years' starts playing, the refrain of 'five years, stuck on my eyes, five years what a surprise' (towards the end of the track). The music is interrupted by the sound of tyres screeching to a halt. A door slams shut and we hear the sound of heavy brogued heels coming closer.

Man with heels coming closer: Lugwin ..y'alright? You look terrible! Woss up mate?

Lugwin: Five years, that's what she said. We've had five lovely years. The last thing she wants to do is hurt me. Now that's it, what am I gonna do?
(sounds tearful)

Man: Whoa, steady mate. Look, why don't you come in the car, get outta this cold and wet. Come on, up you get.

We hear the wind again, the sound of a heavy man a bit breathless getting up and then the calm man saying, "It's okay, Lugwin, look just take my arm fella." Footsteps retreat as the waves crash in again. We can just hear the calm man saying, "Wouldn't wanna be at sea tonight."

Scene shifts to car door opening, then the calm man saying, "Just slip in there, Lug ...you all in?...good" as the door shuts again.

Lugwin is sniffling and coughing again as the calm man lets himself in on the other side of the car. He says, "Right, that's better. Just sit back, mate. Relax your shoulders. Good. Now what's happened?"

Lugwin (more composed): It's Donna. She says it's over. She says I won't be happy with her. We've been together for five lovely years. Now that's that - what am I gonna do, mate? (getting more anxious again)

Man: Well, first things first. Look, I'm really sorry Lugwin. I've got some space on the ship if you wanna come back with me. You look like you could do with some food inside ya too. I'll rustle up a fry-up and we'll have a bit of a chat. See, I've an idea I wanna run by you...

'Five Years' comes back in again (reprise of above lines) as the car starts up and pulls away.

Scene 2 - 'Your Song':

The sound of hoovering, the phone goes. A woman sighs and mutters and the hoover stops. We hear her stomp off into the distance as the phone rings.

Woman: (in irritated hard voice) Yes? (brief silence whilst listening, then adopts a softer tone) Oh, glad it's you. Jeez, can't believe how much blimmin' mess that idiot left. Been trying to sort the place out all day. Look, it's best I meet you up on the coastpath. Yes, that quiet spot - where the seat is. You know - near the memorial, just past the Wrestling Fields. Yeah, ok, I’ll bring it. See you there in an hour. Oh, don't forget. Don't stop in the village - go the back way, where the farm track leads onto the coastpath. (Pause) Yeah, good, see you then.

We hear the woman walk back down the hall and then the sound of a cat maiowing. Her voice mellows as she says "Oh Oscar, don't worry sweetie. I'll look after you. You must have been scared of the hoover. Come and have some milk. Think I could do with a cuppa and a sit down myself. I think it's nearly time for 'Your Song.' We hear a radio being turned on and an enthusiastic male voice proclaiming " ...FM247 this is Radio Binfield and this is Your Song ..." as the lines from the Elton John song play, 'and you can tell everybody that this is your song...'

Scene 3 - 'My Ship Is Coming In':

The sound of frying, eggs being cracked on the side of the pan and the Walker Brothers song ('My Ship...') in the background. The voice of the calm man calls out: "Didn't take you long to sort out some music mate!"

Lugwin (from a distance): Ha no! If nothing else, at least I've got my music. You've got a fantastic record collection, you know.

Calm man: Yep, all part of my misspent youth. Hey, did I hear right that you've done some dee-jaying in your time?

Lugwin: (sadly) Yeah, I did before I came down here. Gone by the wayside a bit since I've been at Donna's.

Calm man: Oh well. Maybe you can get back doing it again now.

Lugwin: Doubt it. All my gear's back up the line, in my brother's loft. Got a few things to sort out before I can worry about that though.

Calm man: Well, no need to worry about that tonight. Like I say, you’re welcome to stay on board. Bit rough outside, but steady enough in here.

We hear the sound of plates being put on the table as the calm man says, "Lugwin, could you just move those records? Thanks. Right, sit yourself down and nosh up, old son."

Lugwin: "Thanks, mate. I really appreciate this. Hey, that's good. I've missed a good old greasy spoon. No more of Donna’s stuffed aubergines for me…

Calm man: Ha – you’re sounding a bit perkier. You enjoy it, old son! Hey, just a thought - you know I've got some turntables and all the gear that could get you dee-jaying again, don't you?

Lugwin: Really? What, don't you use them then?

Calm man: Oh, they get used all right, don't you worry. Hey, good choice of record, by the way. Reminds me of my mum. Whenever I wanted anything, she used to say, "Just wait until your ship comes in, son."

Lugwin (wistfully) Yeah, my mum said that too.

Music comes to the fore, the bit where Scott Walker goes into the 'My Ship...' chorus.

Calm man: You know that song by Madness, Lug – ‘Our House’?

Lugwin: (chewing) Mm, yeah – what about it?

Calm man: There’s a crackin’ line in there about mums – where it goes ‘she’s the one they’re going to miss in lots of ways.’

Lugwin: Oh yeah…song was all innocent, then took a twist at the end. Clever that. Amazing some of the things you can find in pop songs, eh?

Calm man: You’re not kidding. Anyway, talking of which, I got this idea…

... whoops, too many characters ... to be continued.

Last edited:
Radio Radio - (2) Your Song

The opening scene - 'Five Years':

A wintry harbour. The wind is whistling, getting louder in its intensity. We hear the sound of a man coughing. We can just hear him saying " ...five lovely years. That's what she said, we've had five lovely years." His voice sounds strained and choked. The wind picks up again and we can hear the waves crashing against a (harbour) wall nearby. David Bowie's 'Five Years' starts playing, the refrain of 'five years, stuck on my eyes, five years what a surprise' (towards the end of the track). The music is interrupted by the sound of tyres screeching to a halt. A door slams shut and we hear the sound of heavy brogued heels coming closer.

Man with heels coming closer: Lugwin ..y'alright? You look terrible! Woss up mate?

Lugwin: Five years, that's what she said. We've had five lovely years. The last thing she wants to do is hurt me. Now that's it, what am I gonna do?
(sounds tearful)

Man: Whoa, steady mate. Look, why don't you come in the car, get outta this cold and wet. Come on, up you get.

We hear the wind again, the sound of a heavy man a bit breathless getting up and then the calm man saying, "It's okay, Lugwin, look just take my arm fella." Footsteps retreat as the waves crash in again. We can just hear the calm man saying, "Wouldn't wanna be at sea tonight."

Scene shifts to car door opening, then the calm man saying, "Just slip in there, Lug ...you all in?...good" as the door shuts again.

Lugwin is sniffling and coughing again as the calm man lets himself in on the other side of the car. He says, "Right, that's better. Just sit back, mate. Relax your shoulders. Good. Now what's happened?"

Lugwin (more composed): It's Donna. She says it's over. She says I won't be happy with her. We've been together for five lovely years. Now that's that - what am I gonna do, mate? (getting more anxious again)

Man: Well, first things first. Look, I'm really sorry Lugwin. I've got some space on the ship if you wanna come back with me. You look like you could do with some food inside ya too. I'll rustle up a fry-up and we'll have a bit of a chat. See, I've an idea I wanna run by you...

'Five Years' comes back in again (reprise of above lines) as the car starts up and pulls away.

Scene 2 - 'Your Song':

The sound of hoovering, the phone goes. A woman sighs and mutters and the hoover stops. We hear her stomp off into the distance as the phone rings.

Woman: (in irritated hard voice) Yes? (brief silence whilst listening, then adopts a softer tone) Oh, glad it's you. Jeez, can't believe how much blimmin' mess that idiot left. Been trying to sort the place out all day. Look, it's best I meet you up on the coastpath. Yes, that quiet spot - where the seat is. You know - near the memorial, just past the Wrestling Fields. Yeah, ok, I’ll bring it. See you there in an hour. Oh, don't forget. Don't stop in the village - go the back way, where the farm track leads onto the coastpath. (Pause) Yeah, good, see you then.

We hear the woman walk back down the hall and then the sound of a cat maiowing. Her voice mellows as she says "Oh Oscar, don't worry sweetie. I'll look after you. You must have been scared of the hoover. Come and have some milk. Think I could do with a cuppa and a sit down myself. I think it's nearly time for 'Your Song.' We hear a radio being turned on and an enthusiastic male voice proclaiming " ...FM247 this is Radio Binfield and this is Your Song ..." as the lines from the Elton John song play, 'and you can tell everybody that this is your song...'

Scene 3 - 'My Ship Is Coming In':

The sound of frying, eggs being cracked on the side of the pan and the Walker Brothers song ('My Ship...') in the background. The voice of the calm man calls out: "Didn't take you long to sort out some music mate!"

Lugwin (from a distance): Ha no! If nothing else, at least I've got my music. You've got a fantastic record collection, you know.

Calm man: Yep, all part of my misspent youth. Hey, did I hear right that you've done some dee-jaying in your time?

Lugwin: (sadly) Yeah, I did before I came down here. Gone by the wayside a bit since I've been at Donna's.

Calm man: Oh well. Maybe you can get back doing it again now.

Lugwin: Doubt it. All my gear's back up the line, in my brother's loft. Got a few things to sort out before I can worry about that though.

Calm man: Well, no need to worry about that tonight. Like I say, you’re welcome to stay on board. Bit rough outside, but steady enough in here.

We hear the sound of plates being put on the table as the calm man says, "Lugwin, could you just move those records? Thanks. Right, sit yourself down and nosh up, old son."

Lugwin: "Thanks, mate. I really appreciate this. Hey, that's good. I've missed a good old greasy spoon. No more of Donna’s stuffed aubergines for me…

Calm man: Ha – you’re sounding a bit perkier. You enjoy it, old son! Hey, just a thought - you know I've got some turntables and all the gear that could get you dee-jaying again, don't you?

Lugwin: Really? What, don't you use them then?

Calm man: Oh, they get used all right, don't you worry. Hey, good choice of record, by the way. Reminds me of my mum. Whenever I wanted anything, she used to say, "Just wait until your ship comes in, son."

Lugwin (wistfully) Yeah, my mum said that too.

Music comes to the fore, the bit where Scott Walker goes into the 'My Ship...' chorus.

Calm man: You know that song by Madness, Lug – ‘Our House’?

Lugwin: (chewing) Mm, yeah – what about it?

Calm man: There’s a crackin’ line in there about mums – where it goes ‘she’s the one they’re going to miss in lots of ways.’

Lugwin: Oh yeah…song was all innocent, then took a twist at the end. Clever that. Amazing some of the things you can find in pop songs, eh?

Calm man: You’re not kidding. Anyway, talking of which, I got this idea…

Scene 4 – ‘The Cat’s In The Cradle’: we hear the whistling wind again, waves in the distance (not as violent as previously) … then footsteps, slightly muffled.

Woman: Sorry I’m late, sat down listening to the radio and was in a world of my own for a bit.

Calm man: No worries. I’ve been in my own world too. I love it up here, overlooking the sea. Makes me think of the old days.

Woman: Ha! You old sea dog! You’ve never really got over giving up the ocean waves, have you?

Man: No, they say it stays with you, long after you’ve left the mob. Still, I’m never far from the water, as you know.

Woman: Yes, indeed. Your ship looks majestic in the harbour. All the villagers are talking about it … saying ‘what’s that ‘Southern Star’ doing there?’ You’ve certainly got their tongues rattling up at The Atlantic. You’ve caused a stir, Mr. Producer, you really have.

Man: Well, I certainly hope to. (Getting slightly more animated now). Donna, you know when we get the Lottery funding, this could be big news for Harbour Head and the towns nearby.

Woman: Oh yes, it sounds great for everyone.

Man: I reckon. Anyway, you’ve brought our little friend, I see.

Woman: Yes. He hates being moved. Had to give him a sedative that the vet prescribed. Otherwise he’d be wailing his head off, driving me poxy mad.

Man: Oh, Lugwin will be pleased. He’s not stopped talking about his little Oscar.

Woman: Hmmph! Swore he loved that cat more than me. Anyway, how’s he doing?

Man: Very well, as it happens. Put him behind a mike and he’s a different man.

Harry Chapin’s chorus of ‘…and the cat’s in the cradle …’ comes in as scene ends with the wind whistling in the background.

Scene 5 – ‘Stranger In The House’: waves splashing gently on a hard surface. Sound of men talking, getting excited, difficult to make out the words, then comes into focus with the voice of the calm man again…

Calm man: No, just put him there, Lugwin. Good. Ready now?

Lugwin: (animated) You betcha by golly wow, Mr P. This show’s ready to roll and your Emperor’s kickin’ ! Can you turn up the sound level a bit, I wanna crank this up man!

Calm man (laughing): You silly so and so! Ok, let’s away! Roll ‘em …

The sound of a jingle ‘247 national’ comes in and we hear Lugwin’s voice, confident and enthusiastic, talking over the jingle’s music.

Lugwin: Good morning everyone. This is your Emperor and this is a great day for solid gold Radio Binfield FM247. We’re not only able to broadcast live from The Southern Star officially now here in Harbour Head, but I’ve got my dear little cat Oscar to help me with my shows too. And here he is!

We hear the sound of a contented purr into the mike.

Lugwin: What a dear little fella Oscar is! Well, Tony Sideburns had his dog Arnold and your Emperor needs his little Oscar. Ok, let’s kick off with one of your songs. Here’s one for a woman I know who brought Oscar into my life. It’s actually her record, but I’m sure she won’t mind me borrowing it for a little while longer. This is Radio Binfield, I’m your Emperor and this is ‘Stranger In The House’…

The record starts and we hear the opening lines of 'Stranger In The House' (the Elvis Costello version) …’this never was one of the great romances…’

The End (ish)

Last edited:
20. Barry McGuire - 'Eve Of Destruction'

"So there you have it, Johnny - my dad was the 'Baby Perlat' of his generation, long before Social Services were invented. Although I'm sure that his displacement from his real family did cause him some anguish, he did at least grow up in a loving family, though my grand-dad was known for his fierce discipline and his legendary threats to put the tenth hole of his size thirteens 'right up yer jacksie' if you disobeyed him. Grand-dad told me how his boy Louis was a fantastic tennis player and how he liked to play with the toffs at The White Hall tennis club down near the brook at the bottom of Wellstead Gardens. He came home late after a mixed doubles match one night and Ruby had got all worried about him.

'The boy were a little chancer sometimes, but just one point of me finger to me boot was enough to send him off to his room and he'd be quiet fer a couple of days and not give Rube no trouble. You'd have liked him, son, you really would...'

"That was what my grand-dad said to me a lot in his last days when the old days were clearer in his mind than the more recent times. I'll never forget your kindness, Johnny, when you were looking after him in the sheltered housing block that became his home after he had his stroke. You were a brilliant warden there ... sorry, Sheltered Housing Support Worker ... and I can see you're just so made for this work. I loved that 'Music and Memories' group you used to run for the old folks there. That gave me a few ideas for some of my shows on 'Radio Retro' and I recently heard that Sir Rupert Paintbrush, the patron of Runwell Radio's 'Rehabilitation via Reminiscence' Project, wants to export the idea to his own Care Homes Emporium pretty damn quick. You better get a patent on that, Johnny, or the wily old opportunist will claim that idea as his own as well ! OK, enough talk and more music. This next one's for my grand-dad and his famous footwear. You ready, boots ? "

"Grand-dad told me how his boy Louis was a fantastic tennis player and how he liked to play with the toffs at The White Hall tennis club down near the brook at the bottom of Wellstead Gardens."

"Just thought I'd replay that bit from earlier Johnny as I was musing on my grand-dad's reminiscences of how Louis or 'Shorty,' as he called himself when he went to the States, would send him postcards each year from the tournaments at Flushing Meadows. He lived down in neigbouring Brooklyn apparently, right out in Coney Island as far as the F train would go. Stilwell Avenue, I think it was called. My grand-dad said he embraced the dream fervently and even signed up to go out to Vietnam in the sixties. No draft-dodging for Shorty Woodgrange, no sir! He came back in a bit of a bad way though. Physically he was fine, very fit, no problem. But mentally he was prone to wild mood swings, they said, and he needed to get help. Grand-dad didn't hear from him in nearly a couple of years and when he did write again in the late sixties, his writing style had changed. It was repetitive and it seemed like he was quoting mantras. It sounded really weird, Johnny, and I don't think my grand-dad ever really understood what was going on for Shorty. Well, to cut a long story short, I decided to see if I could get some answers and that's where my old mate Pete Thomas came in. You remember Pete, don't you? We used to call him 'Perv' at school because of the time when his brother Scott caught him in an onanistic mood swing all his own back at their place at the bottom of Wellstead Gardens. Poor old Pete - never lived it down. I mean he was only thirteen at the time - what's a boy to do, eh? Well, Pete's band, Snide, they got a bit of a following in NYC and he would spend a few months there each tour. He checked out some of the places that Shorty was last seen in and sent me some tapes of his findings. I'm not going to play them all for you, but I've compiled some selections from them and spliced them with a bit of music to break up the narrative. I think they probably tell more about Pete than they do my dad, but it makes you wonder about the situations people can get into if they're not careful. Right, just got to do a tape-to-tape jobby here. Back in a mo ... in the meantime, this one's for Shorty and it kind of sums up those days pretty well. No need to introduce it for you, you old hippies know every protest song going ..."

Last edited:
Back