• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Radio's banned in the workplace!

KrustyTheKray

President
Well i just couldn't believe it! Today we had an email come round our work that from now the playing of a radio is banned. Something to do with the performing rights society, and infringing copyright laws as more than 5 people can listen to it! Has anyone else had this bombshell dropped on them? I've never heard anything like it.

Let me tell you, it's a whole lot duller without a radio at work. You dont know how much you can miss music at work. Just hope my firm buys the license they require, or no music at work forever!

But this got me thinking, what about the music you hear at say a hairdressers, garage, or a shop. I dont think they have this license. And surely all the radio stations pay the perfoming rights society a tidy sum anyway?

See this link :-http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/blog/2007/10/08/you-cant-be-bitter-at-a-kwik-fit-fitter/

Utter bollocks. Sounds like they are using the copyright spiel as an excuse for wanting to "increase productivity amongst the workforce".

In other words, they're saying the radio stops you from working and they want to take it away to make you work harder. Absolute *******s. Go to the unions!

Exactly what i thought!

Is there really jobsworth informers that go from business to business checking up on who have radios in the workplace, and if they have the correct license from the PRS.

What is this country coming to?

I fully support the PRS as a muso. I'd hate my music to be played at will and not get a royalty.

I fully support the PRS as a muso. I'd hate my music to be played at will and not get a royalty.

Fair point - but to expect payment because a number of people in a workplace are hearing your music on the radio? Come on!

Musicians get PRS payments from the station, surely that is enough?

Are you in a job where you can listen through headphones? I'm in the office a lot, and that's how I manage it.

Are you in a job where you can listen through headphones? I'm in the office a lot, and that's how I manage it.
Call me old fashioned but shouldnt you go to work to work and save the Radio for your own leisure time?

Call me old fashioned but shouldnt you go to work to work and save the Radio for your own leisure time?

I agree, as I get distracted enough at work without suddenly leaping to my feet and headbanging to Status Quo.

I work far better with some quiet background music than in total silence.

One thing that annoys me is speaking to companies on the phone with music blaring in the background.

Last edited:
One thing that annoys me is speaking to companies on the phone with music blaring in the background.

Well I've got the radio on at the moment. Should anyone ring then I'll turn it off. Without a bit of music in the background, my mind wanders, I get easily bored and I end up on Shrimpe.... oh hang on.... :D

The girls in the office have the radio and I think it causes more harm that good.

We all argue over the channels Sandie the Cow likes Heart, Anna Capital, Ben likes Gaydar and I like Asian FM. We always argue over who has what on.

I also dont think its very professional but thats another story......

Gaydar haha! That station is brillaint. We have some fancy system at work and you can have whatever radio channel you could ever want. Back to gaydar. We turned it on one day and it took a while for this old git to work out what it was. As soon as he realised, the old **** went to the manager and got him to turn it off cos it offended him! What a ****.

Kev

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the pain with stupid rules at work....

Ive spent the last 3 months or so completely and utterly bored with no work and have covered every task possible including clearing our my desk drawers. I realised that I am here to complete work given to me and have decided no longer to look for work and short of offering my help to the department when I am not busy, there is not much else I can do. So I decided to enjoy my down time and surf the net a bit more.....

Well you can imagine my utter disgust when I was issued with a WRITTEN WARNING for being on the internet too much! So I said let me get this right, you are actually disciplining me for having no work?! I argued that people who smoke at work spend far more time than me doing nothing and that at least I am at my computer to respond to emails and pick up calls etc but this was to no avail. Warning issued. Not quite sure what this achieved...apart from the fact it spurred me on to look for another job, I in fact ended up witha great job and a far bigger salary so I assume they did me a favour!

Work rules bug me and it seems that as time goes on there may well be far more stupid rules imposed in the workplace!

So where I work, we have to people serving, there are 3 people in the queue, does that mean the radio has to go off??

Back