• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Today, more than ever, we need to understand the importance of recycling. We live in a world of diminishing resources, held together by the discredited remains of unbridled capitalism. Only through use and re-use of our assets, can we live greener, happier lives. All the more reason, therefore, for Rafa Benitez to stop eyeing the inflated transfer market and get on with re-signing Michael Owen.

I know, I know. There are a lot of very good reasons for leaving Owen strewn at the bottom of the bargain bucket. He's had so many injuries that some of his limbs are held together with sellotape and wallpaper paste, he's lost that crucial burst of pace that made him such a phenomenal striker and you get the feeling that his passion for the game may have waned after four years in the madhouse of St James Park. Benitez has already indicated that he has no interest in Owen, but before he consigns him to a gloomy end at Hull or Wigan, he should give it another thought. Liverpool and Owen are made for each other.

Liverpool's greatest blessing is also their most terrible curse. The 4-2-3-1 formation has been so successful that they can no longer play in 4-4-2 . The axis of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres is so effective that it's impossible to ignore. Move Gerrard out of the free role to allow a second striker and you waste his talents while alienating him at the same time. So who covers for Fernando Torres? A big-name striker? Not likely after what happened with Robbie Keane. You can't pay all that money for a footballer and then leave him on the bench without making him feel worthless. So how about a youngster? Well, that's not much of an option either, especially as Liverpool tend not to give their academy players much of a chance. Gerrard was the last youth player to win a regular starting place at Anfield. As for David N'Gog, no-one knows if he is capable of playing as a lone striker, and as Benitez is unlikely to give him a run in the team, we're unlikely to learn through a series of five or ten minute cameos.

Owen offers that proven class. His pace may have dropped, but only to the level of most mortals. He still has that incredible eye for goal, the cold-blooded composure in the six yard box. Even with all of those injuries and all of that upheaval, he still racked up goals for Newcastle when he played. And his fitness problems? Hardly a surprise given that Newcastle insisted on throwing him back into action as soon as he could walk. With patience and understanding, Owen might finally get the chance to recover from all of these knocks.

Liverpool could use him as a back-up for Torres in the less important games, allowing him to rebuild his shattered confidence, while simultaneously working on the tensile strength of his hamstrings. And how much would it cost? Nothing, apart from wages that will presumably be tied into a pay-as-you-play deal whether he signs for Real Madrid or Accrington Stanley.

It's quite clear that Benitez is dealing with a reduced transfer kitty this summer and he's already spent most of that on Glen Johnson. If he is willing to go green and recycle, there's a bargain waiting for him. He alone can save one of England's best ever strikers from entering the twilight of his career at an unfashionable bottom-half side and grant him a glorious renaissance at a title challenging side.

It's always a mixed blessing going back...perhaps to see how much you or your original home has changed...but a move to the other side of Stanley Park, now that would be inspired! I'd heard that Moyes was interested in Michael earlier this year and that made eminent sense considering the problems Everton had with strikers. I suspect Owen could even be attracted on a 'pay as you play' fitness-related deal as it's actually the club he supported as a boy and it's much nearer to home in Cheshire, the horses, etc. It would also put him back in the European frame as he would still harbour hopes of breaking back into the England squad in time for next summer. Don't know what the current financial situation is at EFC, but this would be emotionally and practically congruent. And you don't see much of that in the beautiful game, these days!

If you can get him to sign a pay-as-you-play deal, he'd be an asset for any side the division, and I include Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal in that. Proven goal-scorers don't grow on trees, and if he stays fit he'll bag shedloads. If he has another injury-prone season, he hasn't cost fortunes, bit of a no-brainer to me really.

I still think the best place for Michael Owen to play next season is Aston Villa.

He will be partnered up top with his old strike partner from England and Liverpool in the form of Heskey. They also have the likes of Ashley Young and James Milner on the wings to provide the chances. Plus Gabby A to compete with for a place and with another European adventure next season both will get a fair crack of the whip.

Also having the likes of Nick Shorey, Luke Young, Zat Knight, Nigel Reo-Coker added to the English element there, Fabio will be spending a lot of time at Villa Park next season so it would be an ideal chance to get himself back into the England set up.

hasn't he got a 1 in 2 record when starting for Newcastle? a proven goalscorer even after his injuries... he'd be an asset for anyone in the Prem.

The old michael owen debate, I cannot believe that clubs are not busting a gut to get one of the worlds best goalscorers, I still believe (when fit) he is the best striker in the country, although his injuries while at newcastle will of course put anone off. Let me just say though everyone seems to get injured at newcastle. Honestly if michael owen gets a good season under his belt and proves the doubters wrong(again) he will be in the world cup squad and I for one would love it

I think no matter what club he is at next season as long as they give him a bit of time to regain his fitness, i have very little doubt he will be one of the top scorers in any division.. Liverpool are my favorite club in the premier league and i would love him back at anfield however benitez seems like a bit of a stubborn james blunt and therefore unless he leaves the club from now untill the start of the season (very unlikely lol) Owen won't be at Anfield next year.

I think no matter what club he is at next season as long as they give him a bit of time to regain his fitness, i have very little doubt he will be one of the top scorers in any division.. Liverpool are my favorite club in the premier league and i would love him back at anfield however benitez seems like a bit of a stubborn james blunt and therefore unless he leaves the club from now untill the start of the season (very unlikely lol) Owen won't be at Anfield next year.

What about Sceptre Div 3? Daisy would argue that!

Benitez would be wrong not to consider it. If he does sign him on a pay as you play deal then wages won't be too bad, higher than at Wigan or Hull, he'll be cheap to sign, there will be takers if it doesn't work out, Owen would probably be more interested in the footballing side of his life again and it would please the fans. Why not?

Have you seen that Owens agents have put together a 32 page presentation of their "product" to remind any potential employers what great signing he will make!

Have you seen that Owens agents have put together a 32 page presentation of their "product" to remind any potential employers what great signing he will make!

Yes, seemed a bit pointless i'm sure all the premiership clubs are aware of Owen's talents and his problems aswell.

probably just his x-ray and MRI images.

The old michael owen debate, I cannot believe that clubs are not busting a gut to get one of the worlds best goalscorers, I still believe (when fit) he is the best striker in the country, although his injuries while at newcastle will of course put anone off. Let me just say though everyone seems to get injured at newcastle. Honestly if michael owen gets a good season under his belt and proves the doubters wrong(again) he will be in the world cup squad and I for one would love it

Me too! I would still prefer a fit and firing Owen ahead of Jermain Defoe. If you'd told me 3 years ago that David Beckham would still be in the squad and that Owen hadn't had a look-in over the last year, I'd have been amazed. Perhaps Beckham's determination to force his way back into the reckoning is the best example Michael could follow. Despite doubts about his 'hunger,' I am certain that he still has the determination to re-establish himself as England's top goal-scorer. The question is will he get the platform to prove it? I really hope Everton come in for him (cf earlier post), for his and England's sake. I'm sure he doesn't need a mega-dosh deal and if he were to accept the 'pay as you play' fitness-related option, this might open the door to rescue his career and give England a better chance next Summer.

Back