• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Raheem Sterling called up to the England squad

Beefy

Life President
I know that he's a good player and that there's an issue in the background with him being eligible to play for Jamaica, but isn't this about three years too early?

Adam Lallana and Jake Livermore have been called up too. I like Lallana but not too sure about Livermore.

Surprised Lallana has been called up ahead of Ricky Lambert who IMO is a good 'big man up top'. V. early for Sterling but pleased that he's getting serious minutes for Liverpool.

Lambert should have been in the first squad, let alone now. Don't see what more he has to do.

I know that he's a good player and that there's an issue in the background with him being eligible to play for Jamaica, but isn't this about three years too early?

Adam Lallana and Jake Livermore have been called up too. I like Lallana but not too sure about Livermore.

Answered your own question. Great if he can get some experience of being around the set-up though. He's definitely one for the future.

Answered your own question. Great if he can get some experience of being around the set-up though. He's definitely one for the future.

But surely if he considers himself English then he'll play for England and if he considers himself Jamaican then he'll play for Jamaica?

Have we really reached the point where we have to lock our talented kids in early by giving them a 30 second cameo at the age of 17? Am I the only one who wants players to play for England because they want to play for England and not because they're forced to?

EDIT - I do agree it's good to give some experience of the set-up though.

Lambert should have been in the first squad, let alone now. Don't see what more he has to do.

Indeed, he's a natural finisher and a very smart player. Would have been a great foil for Defoe or Welbeck.

But surely if he considers himself English then he'll play for England and if he considers himself Jamaican then he'll play for Jamaica?

Have we really reached the point where we have to lock our talented kids in early by giving them a 30 second cameo at the age of 17? Am I the only one who wants players to play for England because they want to play for England and not because they're forced to?

We're not forcing them to play for England. They don't have to play if they don't want to (cf Scholes, Foster, Gerrard, Carrick - although the latter has now changed his mind).

But it does stop them playing for another country though, a country we may end up in the same World Cup group as.

Just think of all those Plastic Paddies.

If it denies the next Andy Townsend a launchboard for his media career, then this can only be a good thing.

All of those Plastic Paddies opted to play for Ireland because they were never going to be good enough to cement a place in the England side.

If Sterling isn't in England's thinking and he wants to play for Jamaica then we shouldn't be trying to prevent him from doing so. I don't think either of those things is the case though.

All of those Plastic Paddies opted to play for Ireland because they were never going to be good enough to cement a place in the England side.

If Sterling isn't in England's thinking and he wants to play for Jamaica then we shouldn't be trying to prevent him from doing so. I don't think either of those things is the case though.

His mum wants him to play for Jamaica. So if he goes against her wishes I would think he will be grounded in any case and won't be able to get to Wembley tomorrow night.

Surely if you want a chance of winning a major trophy you'd plump for Eng......... oh hang on... Jamaica it is then. Least the home games will be warm.

I hear you, but I'd rather not have a situation where Jamaica offer him the chance first while we're stilll coming to a conclusion and we miss out on the talent. For me, if he's showing signs of being a future international (which for me he most definitely is), then let's invite him to join the party early, lock out any other interested parties, build up his confidence and give him that experience.

The word is that Raheem doesn't consider much, if anything at all. He's not exactly the sharpest knife in the draw and borders on making Ashley Cole seem like a member of Mensa.

Back