• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Raheem Sterling

Good news all round. Sterling gets a move to a team that might actually win something, Man City get an English talent with lots of potential and Liverpool get their extremely high evaluation for him, which they will most likely waste on bang average players.

Typical Liverpool reaction over this. It is fine when they pinch the likes of Sterling from QPR or try to knick every talented player Southampton get but as soon as the boot is on the other foot it is poor Liverpool being taken for a ride.

He's blatantly the best young English player by a country mile and probably the best English prospect since Rooney. He's already a key figure in the national team.

If he was joining Liverpool we'd all be hearing he good he was. Liverpool fans talk up their signings and talk down their sales. What I don't get it why the non-Liverpool fans fall for their propoganda.

It's a shame he's not moving to a big club abroad where he can develop more, but a move to Man City, where he'll actually be competing for trophies is a huge step up for him.

Agree with this. I don't like him as a person, but that means squat. He's a genuinely exciting English player, how many of those have we seen in recent years. He needs to further his progress and that isn't struggling to the group stages of the Champions League under a manager that isn't used to managing (well) big name players. Whether Man City is the right move, who knows, like YB I wish he'd gone abroad to further enhance his learning, and also to take his development away from the temptation's he has here.

As for Liverpool, the club continues to give off an odious vibe - the hyprocrosy of their actions, time and again is just urgh. If ever a big club needed a cleansing dose of humility and a stark reality check, it's them.

Agree with this. I don't like him as a person, but that means squat. He's a genuinely exciting English player, how many of those have we seen in recent years. He needs to further his progress and that isn't struggling to the group stages of the Champions League under a manager that isn't used to managing (well) big name players. Whether Man City is the right move, who knows, like YB I wish he'd gone abroad to further enhance his learning, and also to take his development away from the temptation's he has here.

As for Liverpool, the club continues to give off an odious vibe - the hyprocrosy of their actions, time and again is just urgh. If ever a big club needed a cleansing dose of humility and a stark reality check, it's them.

Absolutely this.

I also think a move abroad for Sterling would have been really good to see.

Ryan Gauld is someone to watch over at Sporting Lisbon. He's only 19 and this season it could be a breakthrough after some appearances in the first team last season. Shame he's Scottish, he's a great prospect.

He only kicked on when he played the Southend youth team, and the quicker he recognises this the better for all concerned.

ps I think it's a great move all round.

At the end of the day he's a very talented player, arguably he's England's main man already and he's moving on to a bigger and better club. This isn't a Jack Rodwell or Scott Sinclair - he will play at City. Yes the money is silly and Sterling's team have handled the whole situation very badly, but that's modern football.

Typical Liverpool reaction over this. It is fine when they pinch the likes of Sterling from QPR or try to knick every talented player Southampton get but as soon as the boot is on the other foot it is poor Liverpool being taken for a ride.

Always the victims....... :winking:

Worth contrasting the reaction in the media and the public when Ashley Cole and Raheem Sterling demand more money/transfers compared to when Wayne Rooney or Steven Gerrard do....

Personally whatever underlying reason there is for this OTT reaction to a bog-standard transfer story (player leaves upper-midtable side to play in Champions League, for a club competing for trophies on five times the wage - would this be a story if he was leaving Southampton?) I'm glad it is over. Sterling, Silva & Aguero is going to be a ridiculously exciting front-three next season.

At the end of the day he's a very talented player, arguably he's England's main man already and he's moving on to a bigger and better club. This isn't a Jack Rodwell or Scott Sinclair - he will play at City. Yes the money is silly and Sterling's team have handled the whole situation very badly, but that's modern football.

Yes, I would argue that!

Worth contrasting the reaction in the media and the public when Ashley Cole and Raheem Sterling demand more money/transfers compared to when Wayne Rooney or Steven Gerrard do.....

Indeed, and the circumstances surrounding Sterling and Gerrard's requests are very different too. Sterling's apparent concerns are legitimate, Liverpool massively underwhelmed last season and their squad is looking very light in certain positions. I don't think anybody can realistically see them challenging next season. Gerrard handed in his transfer request six weeks after the club won the Champions League and was so desperate to leave he released personal statements. Suarez too gave interviews to national newspapers to try and force a move to Arsenal through the summer before last. Yet it's the likes of Sterling and Cole that catch the ire.

But no, racism is definitely dead in British football.

Suarez too gave interviews to national newspapers to try and force a move to Arsenal through the summer before last. Yet it's the likes of Sterling and Cole that catch the ire.

But no, racism is definitely dead in British football.

I detest Suarez and Sterling in equal measures, nothing to do with racism! And don't reserve the same feeling for Cole!

I detest Suarez and Sterling in equal measures, nothing to do with racism! And don't reserve the same feeling for Cole!

I'm not saying your feelings stem from racism, but there is an undoubted double standard that's applied to certain footballers when it comes to media reaction over certain acts and angling for a better contract/move away is definitely one of them. I'd say it was classist too, but Rooney's about as working class as they come but he was still forgiven for his acts by the media within within weeks of signing a new deal.

But I've no idea how Sterling could convey the same feelings as Suarez given their respective histories. Suarez is a proven racist, liar and a cheat with a penchant for biting opponents. Sterling doesn't like Brendan Rodgers.

I'm not saying your feelings stem from racism, but there is an undoubted double standard that's applied to certain footballers when it comes to media reaction over certain acts and angling for a better contract/move away is definitely one of them. I'd say it was classist too, but Rooney's about as working class as they come but he was still forgiven for his acts by the media within within weeks of signing a new deal.

But I've no idea how Sterling could convey the same feelings as Suarez given their respective histories. Suarez is a proven racist, liar and a cheat with a penchant for biting opponents. Sterling doesn't like Brendan Rodgers.

I don't much like Stevie Gerrard either, I'd say it was a Liverpool thing myself!!!

He's certainly not been forgiven by a bunch of Everton supporters I know here.:smile:

Back