• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Random question about exams....

Cheltenham Shrimper

I have a geography exam tommoz afternoon :( and for it I have to remember some latin terms and some references.

What my question is, is that can you get away with writing (sic) after a word/name that you think youve spelt wrong, but need to put in anyway? Dont know if you can get away with that because they always analyse your spelling and grammar.

Ta :)

I dont think you can, I'd ask your teacher.

I had my geography exam yesterday but by the sounds of things it's NOT the same one you had....

Last edited:
I have a geography exam tommoz afternoon :( and for it I have to remember some latin terms and some references.

What my question is, is that can you get away with writing (sic) after a word/name that you think youve spelt wrong, but need to put in anyway? Dont know if you can get away with that because they always analyse your spelling and grammar.

Ta :)

Not really.

Sic indicates a known spelling error that has been transcribed from another piece of text.

I dont think you can, I'd ask your teacher.

I had my geography exam yesterday but by the sounds of things it's the same one you had....

I dont think so, mate! I'm in my last year of Uni and i'm 8 years older than you!!

I have to remember names such as Coccolithophore Emiliania Huxleyi. Good luck to me doing that!!

Not really.

Sic indicates a known spelling error that has been transcribed from another piece of text.

Oh :(

Going to have to start learning how to spell it off by heart then!

Well, I'd think of Aldous Huxley with Emily from Friends, doing something rude and with litho plates.

The key to memory is making an image so absurd it's impossible to forget

Who on earth is Aldous Huxley?!

That is a good way of remembering things. I'll try that one out :D

damn it...sorry I can't live up to your high expectations :D

Oh and good luck tomorrow Hils, hope it goes well!

Cheers mate. So do I!!

Revision has gone really well. Just hope I remember the levels of CH4 and Co2 over the past 5000 years :D

You'll be fine. If the whole of Shrimperzone place their hands on their pencil and think positive thoughts (Uri Geller stylie) when your in the exam you'll fly through it.

As long as the word is recognisable then I wouldnt worry too much and would focus more on learning your facts, case studies and principles then spelling. When I was doing my Degree level exams there was never much emphasis on spelling, unless, I presume if you were to do a journalism / english type course!

If your content is good you will do well regardless of spelling.

Im sure it's changed but when I did my A-Levels (including Georgraphy) there was minimal marks towards SPAG (Spelling and Grammar). I think it was something like 4 out of 100. As long as the word is recognisable then I wouldnt worry too much and would focus more on learning your facts, case studies and principles then spelling. Even at Degree level there was never much emphasis on spelling, unless, I presume if you were to do a journalism / english type course!

Though if you are learning latin phrases you are obvioulsy doing a very different course then me!

There is quite a bit of latin involved in Geography - That name is a type of fossil, but where I retrieved that name, it didnt have the English to go with it. My geography teacher had never heard of it, so might have to search the English tonight.

All my question is on is is the use of the term 'Anthropocene' Justifiable. Basically, Anthropogenic is humans affecting the climate, so Anthropocene is a name given for a period in time where humans have altered the climate of that period, i.e. now.

Back