• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RAS BOL! The Yellow Vest Brigade

The trouble is that a very small minority seem to believe in going even further than '68. I think these 'casseurs' are going to be properly confronted this weekend and for me there is a need to differentiate between those with genuine grievences, peacefully protesting and those whom are on the streets for far more sinister reasons.
Reversing the decision on tax cuts for the super rich may be a necessary action but the problem in this situation is that the people will want more and more. An increase in the SMIG, OK ........ but that will need to be paid for and is it going to help cut the high unemployment rates? I'm totally in agreement with you about the bankers who caused the crash (many IIUC are back in the same positions)...............put the bloody lot in jail, as I think they did in Iceland.
I'm not sure whether austerity has been as tough here as in the UK. For example teachers in the UK went without a pay rise for a number of years (6?). One wonders what reaction that would have brought about in France?
I've been 'emmerdé' by not being able to work in Toulouse this weekend, because of the threat from les gilets jaunes. Since the reconciliaton with my ex-wife, it no longer hurts me that much. Other brocanteurs are less fortunate and count on their fair in Toulouse to earn money before the holidays. Brocanteurs, I can assure you, are not amongst the super rich!

Having seen the French TV news earlier I'd agree that the "casseurs" will find life more difficult this Saturday than last. Also agree with your point about those peacefully protesting.

Thought it was interesting that on TF1 they estimated that about 40% of the protesters had voted FN in the last Presidential elections with 20% for Mélenchon and not suprisingly only 5% for Macron.

Having seen the French TV news earlier I'd agree that the "casseurs" will find life more difficult this Saturday than last. Also agree with your point about those peacefully protesting.

Thought it was interesting that on TF1 they estimated that about 40% of the protesters had voted FN in the last Presidential elections with 20% for Mélenchon and not suprisingly only 5% for Macron.

Illuminating.................but hardly surprising. :Smile: It seems to me that most gilet jaune hide behind what they claim to be political anonymity.

Got to love or hate the French, they do love a riot. Normally bully until they get what they want as well. So some of Paris will be in lock down, mostly tourist spots, and there will be armoured vehicles for the first time since 2005. This is a nightmare for France, and hard to stop.

Placate them with some decent bottles of wine and cheese, I'd sit down to that rather than tipping over cars.

Sounds as though it was sat on pretty quickly this morning with hundreds of arrests. The people (extremists) who are agitating behind the scenes are many things..............but one assumes they are not stupid. If I were them, seeing the forces of order ranged against them, I'd be thinking, let's step back this weekend and reserve our fire. With the thought that they won't maintain that level of presence next weekend...............or the weekends after that. In the end this action will not serve to aid the less privileged (rather like Brexit). It risks doing serious damage to the country, which will help no one..........apart from those dreaming of bringing the Rebulique down.

Sounds as though it was sat on pretty quickly this morning with hundreds of arrests. The people (extremists) who are agitating behind the scenes are many things..............but one assumes they are not stupid. If I were them, seeing the forces of order ranged against them, I'd be thinking, let's step back this weekend and reserve our fire. With the thought that they won't maintain that level of presence next weekend...............or the weekends after that. In the end this action will not serve to aid the less privileged (rather like Brexit). It risks doing serious damage to the country, which will help no one..........apart from those dreaming of bringing the Rebulique down.

Just got back to SC from Cebazan.The border (going north) was completely blocked.It resembled a masssive lorry park. (Since as we both know but many Zoners won't) lorries aren't allowed on French roads on Sundays there'll be massive delays in goods reaching shops etc next week.Talking of which J.noticed that a lot of people (presumably both the general public as well as protesters) had been stockpiling foodstuffs.Reckon the protests will go on longer than I first anticpated, judging by the determined groups of jilet jaunes we saw at a couple of roundabouts on the approach to the motorway going south..Another free ride for us to the border for us BTW.Surely that can't be allowed to go on for much longer?

It will be interesting to hear what Macron has to say to the French nation on Monday.

Last edited:
According to France 24 news channel, there have been 600 arrests so far in Paris and rising.

So now spread into Belgium and Holland. Macron has said he will delay the taxes for 6 months. Our politicians think the same about Brexit, if we ignore you for a while you will go away. The French wont give up that easily.

Some French people were talking about 1968. They claim their lives were greatly improved after. Proves a good show of strength definitely works.

So now spread into Belgium and Holland. Macron has said he will delay the taxes for 6 months. Our politicians think the same about Brexit, if we ignore you for a while you will go away. The French wont give up that easily.

Some French people were talking about 1968. They claim their lives were greatly improved after. Proves a good show of strength definitely works.

And why not? Totally agree with you on that point.

Final head count was 900 or so I think.

According to the BBC, the final count last weekend was 118 wounded and 1,220 in custody.

Protest timeline
  • 17 November: 282,000 protesters - one dead, 409 wounded - 73 in custody
  • 24 November: 166,000 protesters - 84 wounded - 307 in custody
  • 1 December: 136,000 protesters - 263 wounded - 630 in custody
  • 8 December : 136,000 protesters - 118 wounded - 1,220 in custody
A total of 1 dead, 874 wounded and 2,230 in custody!!.... All credit to the French police, they don't **** around, haven't seen this much of a crack down since the Catalan independence marches.

Do you know if there is another planned this weekend?...If there is one?... I would imagine the numbers of protesters would be less than half, on the back of Macron's new promises.

Last edited:
According to the BBC, the final count last weekend was 118 wounded and 1,220 in custody.

Protest timeline
A total of 1 dead, 874 wounded and 2,230 in custody!!.... All credit to the French police, they don't **** around, haven't seen this much of a crack down since the Catalan independence marches.

Do you know if there is another planned this weekend?...If there is one?... I would imagine the numbers of protesters would be less than half, on the back of Macron's new promises.

Yes that's right.The final figures came out sometime after I posted the latest estimate.

While I'm here,I think it's worth pointing out that there is a huge difference between the protesters all around the country who are protesting peacefully ( some of whom I saw last weekend around Beziers) and those "casseurs" (hooligans) who get arrested in Paris.

Protest timeline

Is that a good thing?

[QUOTE

Protest timeline
A total of 1 dead, 874 wounded and 2,230 in custody!!.... .[/QUOTE]

Have no idea if the French Courts are as lenient as our ones, so would be interesting to see how many get custodial sentences, or just a fine.

Back