• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rating our wingers

Zeuss

Manager
Hmmm,quite a bit of winger appraisal on other threads so having a bit of spare time,here goes....
I began my 55 years of playing men’s football as a right or left winger and that’s partly why I’ve taken particular interest in our wide-men,watching since 1955 (Roots Hall !).
I was quite quick.....A
had a few tricks.......B
wasn’t especially accurate with my crossing......C
nor that regular a goal-scorer .......D

A,B,C,D then—4 categories — they’re bound to overlap somewhat but think Leicester City for examples :
A Demari Gray
B. Riyad Mahrez
C. Harvey Barnes
D. Mark Albrighton

So I’ll throw my top 5 Blues’ wingers in each category open to debate,in descending order:

A : sheer speed,note 4 and 5 had very little end product!
1. Errol Crossan
2 Derek Woodley
3. Jermaine McGlashan
4. Myles Weston
5. Ryan Hall

B : trickery inc.going round FB from a standing start:
1. Johnny McKinven
2. Jamal Campbell-Ryce
3. Colin Morris
4. Bill Punton
5. Paul Byrne

C :crossing ability,picking out team-mates near goal:
1. Alec Stenhouse
2. Mark Gower
3. Martin Ling
4. Alan Rogers
5. Ken Foggo

D : goalscoring— goals per game records have been used here:

1.Peter Taylor
2. Ricky Otto
3. Terry Gray
4. Andy Ansah
5. Terry Johnson

Comments welcome ! (I think!)

Hmmm,quite a bit of winger appraisal on other threads so having a bit of spare time,here goes....
I began my 55 years of playing men’s football as a right or left winger and that’s partly why I’ve taken particular interest in our wide-men,watching since 1955 (Roots Hall !).
I was quite quick.....A
had a few tricks.......B

A,B,C,D then—4 categories — they’re bound to overlap somewhat but think Leicester City for examples :
A Demari Gray
B. Riyad Mahrez
C. Harvey Barnes
D. Mark Albrighton

So I’ll throw my top 5 Blues’ wingers in each category open to debate,in descending order:

1. Errol Crossan
2 Derek Woodley
3. Jermaine McGlashan
4. Myles Weston
5. Ryan Hall

B : trickery inc.going round FB from a standing start:
1. Johnny McKinven
2. Jamal Campbell-Ryce
3. Colin Morris
4. Bill Punton
5. Paul Byrne

C :crossing ability,picking out team-mates near goal:
1. Alec Stenhouse
2. Mark Gower
3. Martin Ling
4. Alan Rogers
5. Ken Foggo

D : goalscoring— goals per game records have been used here:

1.Peter Taylor
2. Ricky Otto
3. Terry Gray
4. Andy Ansah
5. Terry Johnson

Comments welcome ! (I think!)
Correction:speedy wingers 3 and 4 lacked end product

Mitchell Cole can probably go into the sheer speed category.

Ryan Hall should definitely move from 'sheer speed' to crossing ability (or maybe even scoring). In 103 games he scored 23 goals and 39 assists - truly remarkable.

Kevan Hurst could probably go into the goalscoring group, and I'd move Mark Gower from crossing to scoring as well, although he was excellent at both.

I was quite quick.....A
had a few tricks.......B

1. Errol Crossan
2 Derek Woodley
3. Jermaine McGlashan
4. Myles Weston
5. Ryan Hall

Had the "pleasure" of watching speedy winger 2 play his one and only game at number 9 as an out and out centre forward.

It didn't go well; we lost 9-1.

Ryan Hall should definitely move from 'sheer speed' to crossing ability (or maybe even scoring). In 103 games he scored 23 goals and 39 assists - truly remarkable.

I'd agree with this. If he was about pace it was more the pace of his delivery into the box.

For pace Jason Harris and Yemi Abiodun are a worth a shout. I saw both run the ball straight out of play because they forgot to turn and cross it. (Zeuss might be counting them as forwards - they didn't really have positions as they were athletes first and footballers thirty-second).

I'd agree with this. If he was about pace it was more the pace of his delivery into the box.

For pace Jason Harris and Yemi Abiodun are a worth a shout. I saw both run the ball straight out of play because they forgot to turn and cross it. (Zeuss might be counting them as forwards - they didn't really have positions as they were athletes first and footballers thirty-second).
Jason Harris had 20 for pace on CM

Category E - others that deserve a mention
Scott Houghton
Andy Rogers
Malcolm Slater
John Baber
Scott Forbes
Dave Chambers

Category F- Promised but failed
Gordon Connelly
Howard Moore
Ian Cowan