• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy_S

Member of the Barry Corr Fan Club
The words abject and woeful spring to mind today.  
sad.gif

Let's see if we agree to how certain individuals played then.

My ratings:

Flahavan 6: Made one smart stop near the end but didn't have to be called into action otherwise, apart obviously from the 2 goals. Showed why he doesn't normally come through crowds for the 1st goal.

Jupp 5: I'm sorry, but he has to go. Constantly whinging, while his distribution and decision making were terrible. We can do far better in the summer. Was the main reason why we were caught on the counter in the 1st half, and why didn't he pick up for the 2nd goal!?

Cort 7: Won everything in the air whilst throwing himself in front of goalbound efforts. Solid performance and looked totally gutted by the result when walking off at the end, so much so that Brush had to console him.

Stuart 6: In patches he did alright, but at other times looked a total mess.

Nicolau 7.5 & my M.O.M: Just beats Cort for my reckoning, some lovely skill followed by some probing runs when nobody else could be bothered in the 2nd half.

Hunt 5: Quite clearly not a right winger, so why on earth is he playing there? Why can't we ever seem to play players in their true positions? Looked totally lost the majority of the time.

Maher 6.5: In the 1st half he was probably our best player, but in the 2nd he seemed to go off the boil. Still a very important player to us though.

Bentley 6.5: Put himself about a lot, whilst making a few rampaging runs forward. I still maintain that he'll be a decent asset next season.

Corbett 5: A couple of decent touches but otherwise, completely out of sorts, which is understandable I suppose, as it was his first start since early December. If we can get his fitness back, he's most definitely worth a new deal though.

Dudfield 6: Lots of effort but no end product whatsoever. Didn't work well with Constantine at all.

Constantine 6: Another sloppy performance from him. Looked totally disinterested when switched to the wing in the 2nd half.

Subs:

Bramble 6.5: He made a difference when he came on because he put himself about no end, causing the 6ft 8in centre half problems. Shame that he didn't start the game as he could've rattled their physical defence.

Clark 5: Made very little impact. If he gets a contract then nothing's impossible.

I'd pretty much agree with those ratings. Except I'm having trouble rating Nicolau as a defender. He is quite clearly a left winger as you can see from his runs and trickery. So a back line of Jupp-Hunt-Cort-Stuart and a midfield of Clark-Bentley-Maher-Nicolau, would have been the tonic for me today. Although Jupp has the larger blame for the 2nd goal, I think Nicky made a poor defensive header, that led to their right-winger collecting the ball and crossing the ball.

I pretty much agree with you about Nicolau, although he is only young and I'm pretty certain with time he could get better defensively, as Ashley Cole has. He'd definitely be a big asset for us if we were to get him in the summer.

I don't doubt that he would be a brilliant coup over the summer, I just thought that with a weakened midfield, we could give Nicky a run on the left-wing. He terrorises opposing defenders with his pace and quick feet, and to some extent I fear he is being wasted at left-back, where his tricks sometimes lead to opponent's attacks.

FLAVS 6, JUPP 5, CORT 7, STURT 7,NICOLAU 6,HUNT 5,MAHER 7,BENTLEY 7,CORBETT 5,DUDFIELD 4,CONSTANTINE 5. SUBS CLARK 4, BRAMBLE 6. Why is Tilson playing Constantine on the wing he our top goal scorer,second half should put Connie and Bramble in the middle and left Corbett on and brought Jenks on ,as for Dudfield runs roundlike a headless chicken.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 25 2004,10:38)]Dudfield runs roundlike a headless chicken.
I do agree that Lawrie is a bit out of sorts at the moment but he has the cooliest head in front of goal IMO.  Furthermore, Lawrie has only just returned after a long lay off and is still not match fit. Connie does score some good goals but most come from around 18 yards whereas Lawrie takes gambles and dives in amongst defenders e.g. Headed goal at Orient. He also does a lot of chasing down and blocks clearances.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ April 25 2004,11:18)]Totally agree with those ratings, although I would've given Bentley less than a 6.5, he was awful.
Bentley had a poorer game than expected but I felt that was a lot down to the midfield we had. I was surprised that he only won about 50% of headers for a big fellow. Next season I feel Bentley will play an important part and I think we should try to develop his thunderbolt free kicks.

Back