• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy_S

Member of the Barry Corr Fan Club
After being a bit stupid and not booking tomorrow off work, I thought I'd post now despite the fact I'm shattered after a long tiring day. After leaving home at 8:10 and getting in about 21:50, add in the result and I feel pretty deflated.

No doubt FBM will be around tomorrow with his report and ratings, but lets see who thought what regarding the individuals:

Flahavan 7: Did all that he needed to pretty well. Some might say he should've held the first shot that led to the second goal but that'd be super critical. Was brave and showed that he has now decided to try and claim crosses, which he can actually do very well. I was pretty worried when he was left out on the pitch practicing kicking with only 10 minutes till kick off but it didn't seem to bother him during the game. For whatever reason though, that injury that he had is obviously still niggling him.

Jupp 6.5: Some flashes of pure laziness in distribution in a mainly steady performance.  

Prior 7.5: Pretty good and seemed determined to put in a good performance. Shame he doesn't concentrate as much during the meat and drink league games.

Barrett 9: I very rarely give a 9 to a performance, but Barrett deserves it. Absolutely superb. Immense describes him perfectly.

Wilson 7: He gets a 7 for a decent enough performance, but what in the hell was he doing for their 2nd goal!? I can't get my head round why he stopped. Inexcusable.

Pettefer 6.5: Did a decent job of shackling Edwards with Wilson once he switched to the left but he had 2 or 3 golden opportunities to pull the trigger from 20 yards out, but he hadn't got a clue what to do. We need a left footed winger IF we go up.

Maher 7: Never got the time to settle against the 3 Wrexham central midfielders and we suffered because of it. Atkins was exactly right in his programme notes, stifle Maher and we will suffer big time. At least he had the balls to shoot unlike others though.

Bentley 8: Non stop all action performance. Great strike from that free kick in the first half. Just a shame their keeper had the game of his life.

Gower 4: A 4 might be too harsh but that was pathetic from Gower. Since his injury he seems to have lost the ability to control a ball. Shocking, truly shocking. I'd never thought this would be said, but he has to be dropped.

Eastwood 7: Why oh why did we take him off!? I noticed he picked up a slight knock late on, so for Tilson's sake, I hope it was because of that. Despite the close attentions of the Wrexham defence who had clearly picked him out as the danger, he still managed to be involved in any good thing that we did in front of goal.

Gray 6.5: He was so frigging slow to get up on several occasions it was untrue. Even when the ball was near him he got up as if he'd just got out of bed. A shame, as he'd seemingly sorted that flaw out recently. Seemed to get caught up in the moment a bit too much and our tactic of 'hit over the top for Wayne to chase' didn't help at all.

Subs:

McCormack 7: Sign him up! He's such a terrier. Always influential in one touch passing movements as well.

Dudfield 6: Not great when he came on. Nothing seemed to come off and he seemingly had no understanding with Gray.

Guttridge 6: A couple of nice passes, but something tells me his workrate might just get shown up with Bentley and Maher around as he wasn't too keen to sprint back when Wrexham counter attacked late on.

Overall, we didn't take our chances, they did, simple as. Their young keeper will never play better, whilst they scored from a corner that never was, and from a defensive mistake that you wouldn't see in an under 10's game.

Lastly, a bit of a moan. Why in the hell did half our 'support' decide to up and leave after the 2nd goal!? It was embarrassing watching the players walk round after to a half empty end.

Gutted, absolutely gutted. I'm going to stare at the league table for a bit to cheer myself up.

I think I read somewhere that McCormack has just signed a 2 year contract at Preston so he must be in their future plans.

RE: People going at 2-0 I think a lot of people wanted to try and beat the M4 procession (myself included) - I don't think you can begrudge them that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ April 10 2005,22:41)]I think I read somewhere that McCormack has just signed a 2 year contract at Preston so he must be in their future plans.

RE: People going at 2-0 I think a lot of people wanted to try and  beat the  M4 procession (myself included) - I don't think you can begrudge them that?
Bugger.

and

Yes.
wink.gif

Oh and possibly best moment of the game, Alex Ferguson appearing on the big screen to a cacophony a boo's from our end.
laugh.gif

We stayed until the very end last year and even saw the trophy presentation, as most of the Southend fans did, but this year decided to leave. I think the killer for me was that Fergie's son scored the second goal! We didn't however leave immediately after the second goal, as about 12,000 people did but slipped away just as the final whistle was blown
sad.gif

Oh well, there's always the promotion to concentrate on now which we want to try and do without having to go back to Cardiff. If we do end up there, I may not come because I seem to jinx just about every huge game I turn up to
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ April 10 2005,22:33)]Gower 4: A 4 might be too harsh but that was pathetic from Gower. Since his injury he seems to have lost the ability to control a ball. Shocking, truly shocking. I'd never thought this would be said, but he has to be dropped.
couldnt agree more, where was nicky nic, he wasnt even a sub was he?

Very disappointed by Gower, should have been taken off far earlier, possibly after 30 minutes!

Che obviously didn't get a call to tell him that there was someone coming for the 2nd goal and had a blinder apart from that defensive lapse.

McCormack looked great at tackling.

I am so dissapointed about a couple of things today:
1) Gower - WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIM? He needs to be dropped
2) Why change Eastwood for Dudfield when we're losing?
3) Maher - I have never been a "fan" of his and normally keep my mouth shut about him but to me all he seems to do is complain, make mistakes and then complain again to other players - for me McCormack seems a better option

Apart from that, on a brighter note - Barrett - one word BRILLIANT - also, Bentley and Eastwood were good today.

can a statto confirm if Eastwood has played a full 90 minutes, he nearly always gets subbed it seems.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 10 2005,22:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ April 10 2005,22:33)]Gower 4: A 4 might be too harsh but that was pathetic from Gower. Since his injury he seems to have lost the ability to control a ball. Shocking, truly shocking. I'd never thought this would be said, but he has to be dropped.
couldnt agree more, where was nicky nic, he wasnt even a sub was he?
He was sitting just behind me and looking pretty ****ed off for most of the game. Watching Gower's display I can't blame him. Perhaps he, like Dudfield before him, has run over Tilly's cat?

Barrett was immense. I thought Bentley was the pick of the rest and Flavs, Prior, Gray & Eastwood all had games to be reasonably proud of.

I don't think Tilson has a cat, so I don't see how it would damage Nickys chances if he had run over a moggy...
biggrin.gif

I thought Barrett and Maher were our best players.

Gower could leave tomorrow and i wouldn't give a f**k. In fact, i would even pack his bags for him. He has no b******s, more interested on standing out in white boots and being on sky than trying to win a trophy for our club. Don't know if anybody else noticed him jog right up to the sky camera and stop right in front of it as the team came out for the second half  
mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

People like Petts, Jupp and Wilson get slated more than Gower ever will but at least they put in the f**king effort!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ April 10 2005,22:33)]Lastly, a bit of a moan. Why in the hell did half our 'support' decide to up and leave after the 2nd goal!? It was embarrassing watching the players walk round after to a half empty end.
Personally, I was completely gutted at the full time whistle (unlikle last year). I couldn't bear watching Wrexham's celebrations when, with a bit of luck etc, it could so easily have been us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ April 10 2005,22:52)]Che obviously didn't get a call to tell him that there was someone coming for the 2nd goal and had a blinder apart from that defensive lapse.
Did you watch the game.

He should not have needed a call. Hoof the ball out. He is not a sunday league player he is a professional.

Che played the same as last year 20 yards of the player he should have been marking.

Agree with everyone praising Barrett. He has been a revelation for us this season, a big reason why we have one the meanest defences around. His performance today was collosall, what can I say, man of the match. But the thing with Barrett is that he gives us that every game. I don;t know about anyone else, but I'm going to be voting him player of the season. Thanks Adam.

Also very impressed today with Freddy, Bentley, Daryl, Che (except of course for the last few mins). Also, I agree that I think McCormack is excellent. Real shame if we don;t have a chance to sign him.

Finally, I was one of the hordes that left after the second goal. Here's why. I stayed last season to cheer the team, and took the pain of watching the other fans celebrate. It was diffcult then, but when we were so close, I just couldn't watch it this time. The fact that it was Darren Ferguson scoring didn't help of course. Also, because of the extra time, I was pushed for time to get home, as my friend had to get to work. Don't get me wrong, If we had won, we would have stayed the whole time, and hang work, but why give yourself that greif on top of the loss. I was also very annoyed to hear the 'fan' on 606 insulting everyone for not staying the whole time. If someone who attends every home game, and as many away games as work commitments allow, is part of the 'prawn sandwich' brigade, then what chance does anyone have?

Anyway, well done to the boys (most of them) and heres to being promoted as champions
smile.gif

OK, back to the ratings (so we can all disagree):-

FLAVS Good game, don't fault him for the 2nd goal as he had a pretty tough save to make. Coped magnificently with the 2nd half scramble when we nearly scored for them. 8/10

JUPP Defensively average, crossing truly abysmal. 6/10

BARRETT Just bloody fantastic. What a performance! 10/10

SPINNER One or two dodgy moments but did a lot more right than wrong and showed his experience. 8/10

CHEESE Hopelessly exposed before Gower and Petts were switched yet coped adequately. I think he was mentally and physically knackered for the largely irrelevant 2nd goal. I'd say the ghost of last season was totally laid. 7.5/10

GOWER Less said the better 4/10

MAHER Quiet in Wrexham's good opening spell but grew in influence as the game progressed and made the 120 mins comfortably 7.5/10

BENTLEY Without Barrett he'd have been MOTM. A fine game in the centre and even better when he switched to the right. 9/10

PETTS Ran himself into the ground for the cause and did so much to turn Wrexham's early domination into a good 2nd half for us. His critics should hang their heads in shame.... 8.5/10

GRAY 120 mins of non-stop effort without a hint of doing anything that might have resulted in a goal. Shouldn't fault a man who tries so hard but he left his talent at home. 5.5/10

FREDY Failed to rise to the big occasion and looked lost at times. He might now realise that he's still got a lot to learn despite scoring so many goals until now. 5/10

McCORMACK Did well without being able to do anything to really turn things our way. 6.5/10

DUDDERS Tried hard but looked out of sorts. 5.5/10

GUTTERIDGE Not marking him as I hardly noticed he was on the pitch in the short time he had.

So, to summarise, a real mixed bag of performances. Plenty of unrewarded effort and I really felt for some of the players as quite a few had decent games. But the reason we lost in my view was nothing to do with extra time goals - it was the failure to score in normal time. And that was due to the unfortunate fact that the 3 players who had the poorest games were the 2 strikers and the guy who's supposed to make things happen when we attack....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ April 10 2005,22:33)]After being a bit stupid and not booking tomorrow off work, I thought I'd post now despite the fact I'm shattered after a long tiring day. After leaving home at 8:10 and getting in about 21:50, add in the result and I feel pretty deflated.

No doubt FBM will be around tomorrow with his report and ratings, but lets see who thought what regarding the individuals:

Flahavan 7: Did all that he needed to pretty well. Some might say he should've held the first shot that led to the second goal but that'd be super critical. Was brave and showed that he has now decided to try and claim crosses, which he can actually do very well. I was pretty worried when he was left out on the pitch practicing kicking with only 10 minutes till kick off but it didn't seem to bother him during the game. For whatever reason though, that injury that he had is obviously still niggling him.

Jupp 6.5: Some flashes of pure laziness in distribution in a mainly steady performance.  

Prior 7.5: Pretty good and seemed determined to put in a good performance. Shame he doesn't concentrate as much during the meat and drink league games.

Barrett 9: I very rarely give a 9 to a performance, but Barrett deserves it. Absolutely superb. Immense describes him perfectly.

Wilson 7: He gets a 7 for a decent enough performance, but what in the hell was he doing for their 2nd goal!? I can't get my head round why he stopped. Inexcusable.

Pettefer 6.5: Did a decent job of shackling Edwards with Wilson once he switched to the left but he had 2 or 3 golden opportunities to pull the trigger from 20 yards out, but he hadn't got a clue what to do. We need a left footed winger IF we go up.

Maher 7: Never got the time to settle against the 3 Wrexham central midfielders and we suffered because of it. Atkins was exactly right in his programme notes, stifle Maher and we will suffer big time. At least he had the balls to shoot unlike others though.

Bentley 8: Non stop all action performance. Great strike from that free kick in the first half. Just a shame their keeper had the game of his life.

Gower 4: A 4 might be too harsh but that was pathetic from Gower. Since his injury he seems to have lost the ability to control a ball. Shocking, truly shocking. I'd never thought this would be said, but he has to be dropped.

Eastwood 7: Why oh why did we take him off!? I noticed he picked up a slight knock late on, so for Tilson's sake, I hope it was because of that. Despite the close attentions of the Wrexham defence who had clearly picked him out as the danger, he still managed to be involved in any good thing that we did in front of goal.

Gray 6.5: He was so frigging slow to get up on several occasions it was untrue. Even when the ball was near him he got up as if he'd just got out of bed. A shame, as he'd seemingly sorted that flaw out recently. Seemed to get caught up in the moment a bit too much and our tactic of 'hit over the top for Wayne to chase' didn't help at all.

Subs:

McCormack 7: Sign him up! He's such a terrier. Always influential in one touch passing movements as well.

Dudfield 6: Not great when he came on. Nothing seemed to come off and he seemingly had no understanding with Gray.

Guttridge 6: A couple of nice passes, but something tells me his workrate might just get shown up with Bentley and Maher around as he wasn't too keen to sprint back when Wrexham counter attacked late on.

Overall, we didn't take our chances, they did, simple as. Their young keeper will never play better, whilst they scored from a corner that never was, and from a defensive mistake that you wouldn't see in an under 10's game.

Lastly, a bit of a moan. Why in the hell did half our 'support' decide to up and leave after the 2nd goal!? It was embarrassing watching the players walk round after to a half empty end.

Gutted, absolutely gutted. I'm going to stare at the league table for a bit to cheer myself up.
Flahavan 5 - another game where he didn't do much but pick the ball out of the back of his net twice
Jupp 6 - steady
Wilson 4 - not good enough
Prior 8 - committed
Barrett 9.5 - you all saw the match
Maher 5 - ineffective
Bentley 8 - impressive
Pettefer 6 - did a good defensive job but nothing going forward
Gower 4 - does anyone think those boots have been a good idea?
Eastwood 6.5 - looked as if he might create something if he was ever given any service and hit the post
Gray 6 - quiet, but wasn't given much to work with

I'm surprised how low you've (stid) rated Eastwood & Gray, neither of whom I'd have criticised. Gray didn't stop running, but it was the service into and over him which was to blame for him not causing more problems. And Eastwood always looked far-and-away our best chance of getting a goal. Dropped deep to find the ball, beat players at ease and tested the keeper several times.

Back