• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Sad to report the news of the passing of "Mr Southend", Ray Davy, snr. Ray will be known to many on the Zone, he was a stalwart at the club, and, most recently, has been the regular tour guide for the many groups who want to come and look around our club. He has been the official "receiver" of guests at the tunnel entrance for many years, and often represented the club at charity events and supporters' funerals.

He always greeted our Junior Blues with a twinkle in his eye when we took them through the tunnel on match days.

He had been ill recently but, in the words of bar manager Sharon, he "fought to the end". He will be greatly missed by everyone connected with the club and I am sure you many of you would like to share in sending condolences to his friends and family.

RIP Ray Davy

2396795.jpg

Sad news, I remember Ray from at least 35 years ago. Noticed he has been missing for a couple of months from his job of checking fans in for the Captains lounge..... How old was he ?

That’s very sad to hear. From my earliest memories of Roots Hall in the 70’s through to recent times his cheerful demeanour was an ever present. Condolences to his family. RIP

sorry to hear that sad news we have known ray ( mr southend united ) for many years

Sad news, I remember Ray from at least 35 years ago. Noticed he has been missing for a couple of months from his job of checking fans in for the Captains lounge..... How old was he ?

I believe he was 88 years old, or at least turning 88 in a few months.

He was one of the first people you would see when you came to Roots Hall. Always happy to stop and chat, a genuinely nice man and a great servant to the Club. He will be sadly missed. RIP Ray.

I do hope Chris Phillips finds the time to produce a nice article on him regarding his life and times at the club (nearly 63 years!) in the Echo next week.

I'm sure there won't be a shortage of volunteers to share their memories of him.

Very Sad news. I have known Ray near on all my SUFC life and his son Ray junior in the old days. Was a stalwalt for the club over so many years and will be greatly missed R.I.P

Ray was always there AND always approachable and ready to chat; be it matchday or market day.

A stand or suite at FF named after him would be fitting memorial.

Whot a lovely person Southend through and though.Part off the furniture.
Southend must name a stand Ray Davey Stand in the new Ground
Ray RIP.

Lovely man, will miss seeing him, proper fan, and gentleman who always had a word of wisdom.
R.I.P. Ray

Sorry to hear this.

Ray was very prevalent when I attended regularly back in the late 70's and early 80's and I hadn't seen him for a while, until I did a few Directors Box matches and there he was on the door.

As people said above, just seemed part of the furniture.

:sad:

Sorry to hear this, Ray was a lovely man and was always happy to have a chat. Many condolences to his family and friends. Sleep well Ray xx

Back