• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would be great gesture by the club to name a suite after him
Just as much a legend at the club as some of the players who left to seek further fame and fortune

Topman and pleasure to have met him over the years

UTS

Very sad to hear of Ray's passing

I hope the club will do something to commemorate his life and contribution to the club.

Anyone know if there are plans for a minutes applause for him on Saturday?

Sad news indeed,Last time I saw Ray was in the fish house proudly wearing his club blazer and tie enjoying his fish and chips.
Always had time for all supporters and a part of S.U.F.C history for me.
R.I.P Ray sleep well my friend.

Go back a long way with Ray. As i get older, and im 72, but have lived a very long time away from Southend. These guys who i used to know, seem like all my yesterdays. Travel well Ray.

R.I.P Ray, remember him in a suit and walking talkie in the early 90's walking around the touchline, always with a smile on his face. A very recognisable figure, was he not head of security at one point?

I remember Ray well from match days and saturday night discos in the Shrimpers Club with 'Big Norm' on the door (lads,lads,lads. I've told you twice.....). Great days. Also the infamous england away game in Luxemburg when he got bashed by the riot police "We were giving it a bit of england, england which is fair enough".

I've been in Holland now for 25 years so I haven't seen Ray for a good while. He is very much part of my memories of happy times. He really has been Mr Southend and a very nice man.

Sleep well Ray. Blue Army !

I remember Ray well from match days and saturday night discos in the Shrimpers Club with 'Big Norm' on the door (lads,lads,lads. I've told you twice.....). Great days. Also the infamous england away game in Luxemburg when he got bashed by the riot police "We were giving it a bit of england, england which is fair enough".

The Shrimpers Disco and 'Big Norm' .. He was exactly like that! :smile:

I remember the disco very well. Used to always go down there, especially after coming back from away games.

I'd like to say a big pat on the back to the club, as well.

It's very easy, in this modern world of "commercial opportunities" to ditch the old fellas and go for something different, but they never suggested to Ray that he should retire, keeping him on and giving him a place on the staff, despite his advancing years and indifferent health.

You can laud your modern soulless stadia all you like, but sometimes it's just good to stick with a bit of tradition.

I'd like to say a big pat on the back to the club, as well.

It's very easy, in this modern world of "commercial opportunities" to ditch the old fellas and go for something different, but they never suggested to Ray that he should retire, keeping him on and giving him a place on the staff, despite his advancing years and indifferent health.

You can laud your modern soulless stadia all you like, but sometimes it's just good to stick with a bit of tradition.

Spot on Andy
Very sad news,realy like the gentleman.
My first ever "party"i went to was round his house,his son Ray jnr was having it.Must have been 71??
When i came over 2 years ago,he popped into the Shrimpers club to say hallo to me.That was so nice of him.
We then had a photo taken,Mr Davy,Nobbler,Stevie Waller(rip mate),Joe and myself.
Oh so sad another "great one" has been taken from us.sadly the last 6 months it has not stopped.
RIP Mr Davy,a true gent
you will be having now a beer or two with those other 2 SUFC gents..Mr Shepherd and Rowley

I've been in Holland now for 25 years so I haven't seen Ray for a good while. He is very much part of my memories of happy times. He really has been Mr Southend and a very nice man.

Sleep well Ray. Blue Army !
Like most supporters on here seem to have known Ray since I was a lad, pretty certain that Ray spent more time at Roots Hall than any other person I know. Always very helpful & nothing was too much trouble. Once travelled with Ray and a group of Shrimpers fans to see England play in Norway in 1981 lost 2-1, trust me a never to be forgotten experience. My special condolences to Ray Jnr., as well as all Family & Friends. "Sleep tight Ray", "Nobbler"x

An immense loss to everything that is Southend United.
Like everyone I have known Ray for many years and he summed up what makes a football club such an integral part of the community.
Unrivalled!

Just want to add my condolences on the passing of Ray and pass on my thoughts to his family.
Although Ray was obviously around the club for many years my most memorable times of him were back in the early eighties on away days when Ray would travel on the coach and usually do the 'BUS STOP' card to raise a few quid.

IMG-20180126-WA0001.jpg
last time in Southend
The Bash St Kids
me,Joe,Nobbler,Stevie
and our "leader" Mr Davy snr

Never noticed!!:stunned:
Do hope today,went well and the club done him proud.....like he done our club

Back