• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RD 1 Heat 13 - Ian Botham v Wat Tyler

Sir Ian Terence Botham OBE (Yorkshire Blue) v Wat Tyler (Mad Cyril)

• Total voters
Vote Wat - Leader of the peasants revolt.

Not some Shredded Wheat eating **** with a mullet.

Last edited:
Vote Botham

* 1988 Pipe smoker of the year
* The last man to play professionally both the national summer and winter sports
* England's greatest ever all-round cricketer
* The heroics of Headingley 1981
* For his contribution to diplomatic relations with Australia
* That mullet and 'tache combination
* Raised more than £10,000,000 for charity, not just by fronting a campaign like most celebrities would do, but by actually getting out there and walking the length of Britain - eleven times

Did Wat Tyler ever hit a ball into the confectionary stall....and out again? If not, I'm siding towards Beefy.....

Not quite true on your second point YB, as Chris Marples was after Botham and there's a very recent addition to the ranks of Joe Gatting.

That said Botham is one of my all time sporting heroes, I'd love to see the Botham of 1981 facing the convicts in the forthcoming Ashes series.

Not quite true on your second point YB, as Chris Marples was after Botham and there's a very recent addition to the ranks of Joe Gatting.

That said Botham is one of my all time sporting heroes, I'd love to see the Botham of 1981 facing the convicts in the forthcoming Ashes series.

Bah, Gatting never played both at the same time he retired from football because he wasn't very good and similarly Marples' first class career ended in 1986 because he wasn't very good.

In 1986 Botham was too busy winning the Ashes down under to have been playing football. Botham played the decisive role in both England wins: a first innings century at Brisbane and a 5-29 in the first innings in Melbourne. And that isn't even his most famous Ashes triumph.

I bet neither Gatting nor Marples have ever been the face of cutting down heart disease through eating a breakfast cereal containing only 100% whole grain wheat.

Shrimpers, ask yourself this: did Wat Tyler ever manage to eat three Shredded Wheat?

Bah, Gatting never played both at the same time he retired from football because he wasn't very good and similarly Marples' first class career ended in 1986 because he wasn't very good.

In 1986 Botham was too busy winning the Ashes down under to have been playing football. Botham played the decisive role in both England wins: a first innings century at Brisbane and a 5-29 in the first innings in Melbourne. And that isn't even his most famous Ashes triumph.

I bet neither Gatting nor Marples have ever been the face of cutting down heart disease through eating a breakfast cereal containing only 100% whole grain wheat.

Shrimpers, ask yourself this: did Wat Tyler ever manage to eat three Shredded Wheat?

:clap: Good riposte, I was only really being pedantic, and he's got my vote.

There's been a few Double Internationals over the years but I think that's probably a subject for another thread.

Did Wat Tyler ever hit a ball into the confectionary stall....and out again? If not, I'm siding towards Beefy.....

No, but he did round up a 'firm' of 50,000 peasants and invade London to protest about the Poll tax and peasant rights in the biggest insurrection ever to occur in England.

Hmmmm. Do I vote for one of the greatest English cricketers of all time, who's heroics won us the Ashes and got us to a world cup final, or do I vote for some **** called Tyler?

No, but he did round up a 'firm' of 50,000 peasants and invade London to protest about the Poll tax and peasant rights in the biggest insurrection ever to occur in England.

Yes, but think how even more insufferable the bar staff in London would have been if EnglandBotham hadn't won the Ashes in '81 and '86.

Definitely Both, another who liked his drink, but a bit of an idol to us girls when we were at school!

A poll tax is never a good idea, whether in the 20th century or the 14th.

If this is a search for English heroes, Wat Tyler's definitely worth the vote here. Here's to sticking it to feudal oppressors!!

Back