• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rd 2 Heat 5 - Charles Babbage FRS v Isambard Kingdom Brunel, FRS

Isambard Kingdom Brunel FRS (Aberdeen Shrimper) v Charles Babbage FRS (Bob Cratchitt)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napster

No ⭐
Bob Cratchitt - Charles Babbage FRS

v

Aberdeen Shrimper - Isambard Kingdom Brunel, FRS

battle of the science/engineers!

Blimey, I am going to struggle to champion this amazing Englishman today due to work commitments and just hope that the good folk of the Zone realise what IKB has given to England. His legacies are everywhere you look and his engineering genius is second to none.

He did not come second in the BBC TV programme "Great Britain’s" for nothing.....yes that was Great Britain’s and not just English.

VOTE Isambard Kingdom Brunel

I guess I should point out that IKB is actually half French, and spent his educational years in France. (so how could any English hero be half French!!)

I will not deny that he was instrumental in bridge building and that his work for GWR helped ensure the South West was connected to London, however IKB was not the only one on the payroll of GWR. In fact Charles Babbage was also and during this time he invented the pilot (also called a cow-catcher), the metal frame attached to the front of locomotives that clears the tracks of obstacles. He also constructed a dynamometer car and performed several studies on the Great Western Railway to ensure the railway was performing correctly.

So Babbage is not just about the amazing invention that is the Computer but also is a solid engineer that could turn his hand to other fields.

Also a vote for Babbage would mean you are not in the same boat as Clarkson.

Last edited:
Team Babbage all the way (sorry Dave). If not for him, we'd be wondering how we log onto SZ from an abacus.

Team Babbage all the way (sorry Dave). If not for him, we'd be wondering how we log onto SZ from an abacus.

What with your links to the railways I am shocked Young Paul, but knowing your love of everything PC (can't beat a bit double entendre) I do understand your choice mate.

BC - Half French and aligning yourself with Clarkson????????

Please tell me you have not pined your campaign on those type of tactics.

:nope:

Hmm very tough call this one, will have to ponder some more. feel free to try to persuade me.

A few more reasons why to vote for IKB.............

The Thames Tunnel

ThamesTunnelFromWapping.jpg

The Royal Albert Bridge

Saltashrab.jpg

The Clifton Suspension Bridge

Clifton.bridge.arp.750pix.jpg

Maidenhead Railway Bridge

Maidenhead_Railway_Bridge_and_Guards_Club_Island_%28Nancy%29.JPG

Paddington Station

Paddington_Station.jpg

And of Course the Great Western Railway

GWR_coat_of_arms.jpg

The Great Eastern

great_eastern.jpg

The Great Eastern

ssgb.jpg

Last edited:
It's such a tough call, and the arguments for Babbage are strong. This battle would take forever to complete if it weren't for his invention as we'd all be sending our votes by post. But I have to go for IKB even if that **** Clarkson likes him.

I feel people have to ask themselves whose invention do we use more often?

I know that I do not use GWR, the Thames Tunnel, The Great Eastern, or any of the bridges, but I do use for business and pleasure the computer, that Babbage pioneered. So for that he must be down has having the most influence on the modern English society, in fact the world.

So please on this important polling day, realise the importance of this great man's vision to every day life and our futures.

IKB for me , yes i am a techy , yes people say the computer has changed teh world , but stripped to basics e could not live without IKB inventions engineering technigues and structures where as humanity actually did pretty well to get to teh point where woulc could use babbages (and he actually didnt invent the pc he conseptulised the methods for doing so , it was only recently the science musem created one from his plans (teh ancient greeks also had a similar computating device driven by water) it worked )

IKB for me.

I beg to differ, I feel that we could have lived without IKB inventions, example being the Broad Gauge railway that was disbanded for the original Stephenson Standard Gauge. So that is one example of his invention not being needed. I am sure that there were other bridge builder in other countries creating similar structures. So he is not so unique.

I beg to differ, I feel that we could have lived without IKB inventions, example being the Broad Gauge railway that was disbanded for the original Stephenson Standard Gauge. So that is one example of his invention not being needed. I am sure that there were other bridge builder in other countries creating similar structures. So he is not so unique.
Its the quality and precision , plus he was one of teh first to realsie about working at lower preasures while digging tunnels

Firstly commiseration to IKB and AS, when I saw the draw I thought I was going to be a second round victim. IKB is an incredible Engineer and someone who I would normally vote for.

Its the quality and precision , plus he was one of teh first to realsie about working at lower preasures while digging tunnels

But it is a competition and you have to try to justify your nomination and provide counter arguments to rival justification.

Osy - I appreciate what he brings to the party but was trying to ensure the voters head to CB nominated by BC.

Firstly commiseration to IKB and AS, when I saw the draw I thought I was going to be a second round victim. IKB is an incredible Engineer and someone who I would normally vote for.

But it is a competition and you have to try to justify your nomination and provide counter arguments to rival justification.

Osy - I appreciate what he brings to the party but was trying to ensure the voters head to CB nominated by BC.
I'll let you off (*in homer voice* grrr damn mathmatical genius's making the world a better place grrr)

Back