• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Read The Goat...

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Just had a copy of Feed The Goat land on my desk. Naturally, I flicked ahead and read the chapter on Southend. Very interesting stuff.

He's very honest about the club and about certain limitations, but you can tell he loved it last season. I got a bit of a lump in my throat when he was talking about the Bristol City game.

Oh, and he admits that his odd goal against Col******r was a bit of a fluke as well. A Shaun Goater special, as he puts it!

Looks like a very decent read by a very decent chap.Read The Goat

He was amused that Boot'n'Laces is used by the general public in the afternoon!

A few observations about players as well. Maher, "plays within himself," which holds him back.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Sep. 20 2006,11:44)]Maher, "plays within himself,"
At first glance that looked very much like something else!!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Sep. 20 2006,11:44)]A few observations about players as well. Maher, "plays within himself," which holds him back.
What the hell does that mean?
suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Sep. 20 2006,12:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Sep. 20 2006,11:44)]A few observations about players as well. Maher, "plays within himself," which holds him back.
suspect.gif
I'd guess that it's he only performs as he needs to & has potential to play at a higher level if he wanted to.

A consistent appraisal from the anti-Maher brigade over the years!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Sep. 20 2006,11:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Sep. 20 2006,11:44)]Maher, "plays within himself,"
At first glance that looked very much like something else!!  
laugh.gif
That's what I thought!

No wonder he always looks sluggish in the second half!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Sep. 20 2006,12:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Sep. 20 2006,12:18)]
[b said:
suspect.gif
I'd guess that it's he only performs as he needs to & has potential to play at a higher level if he wanted to.

A consistent appraisal from the anti-Maher brigade over the years!
Indeed, it is notable that he, perhaps more than anyone, has taken like a duck to water with the step up in class, and has looked better this year than at almost any stage of his Southend career (other than that night at Layer Rd for the LDV Area Final - still the finest midfield performance from a Southend player that I've ever seen).

That would tend to corrorborate the Goat's view that, even last year, Cap'n Kev was playing within himself...

Matt

Back