• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reading at a wedding

MK Shrimper

Striker
People,

I've been asked to do a reading at my mate's wedding. Has anyone done this? I've no idea what's involved, so any hints would be helpful.
It's a civil service, so nothing religious.

Ta in advance.

People,

I've no idea what's involved, so any hints would be helpful.

Ta in advance.

It involves reading words (chosen by the bride but presented as something 'we' wanted to do) from a sheet of paper or a book.

I have found that a few blue jokes and/or magic tricks up front help break the ice, put the punters at ease and create a better atmosphere.

War and Peace, Lawn care in the Suburbs, the Dictionary.. all of these are less boring.. oh sorry you have to do a 'reading''....

Personally I would suggest telling stories of your mate shagging birds in night clubs or any lewd sexual jokes about the bride to be. Both are sure to be a winner.

There's a fine selection of limericks in the 'todays dilemma' thread. Give them a try. If I hear good reviews of your efforts I might sign you up for my own wedding.

Personally I would suggest telling stories of your mate shagging birds in night clubs or any lewd sexual jokes about the bride to be. Both are sure to be a winner.

:D Yes an it maybe Unwise to mention the Ladies he still fancies.

If it's a reading at the ceremony you're looking for (ooh, all these jokers), then any of the following are quite good...

Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Louis de Bernieres

Love is a temporary madness,
it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides.
And when it subsides you have to make a decision.
You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together
that it is inconceivable that you should ever part.
Because this is what love is.
Love is not breathlessness,
it is not excitement,
it is not the promulgation of eternal passion.
That is just being "in love" which any fool can do.
Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away,
and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.
Those that truly love, have roots that grow towards each other underground,
and when all the pretty blossom have fallen from their branches,
they find that they are one tree and not two.

Apache Wedding Blessing

Now you will feel no rain,
For each of you will be shelter
to the other.

Now you will feel no cold,
For each of you will be warmth
to the other.

Now there is no more loneliness,
For each of you will be companion
to the other.

Now you are two bodies,
But there is only one life before you.

Go now to your dwelling place
To enter into the days of your
togetherness.

And may your days be
good and long upon the earth.

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibran

(had this one at my wedding, incidentally)

Then said Almitra, "Speak to us of Love."

And he raised his head and looked upon the people, and there fell a stillness upon them. And with a great voice he said:

Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.

Love possesses not nor would it be possessed; For love is sufficient unto love. When you love you should not say, "God is in my heart," but rather, I am in the heart of God."

And think not you can direct the course of love - for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.

Love has no other desire but to fulfil itself.

But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:

To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.

You could see if there are any Wendy Cope poems out there too - she writes wittily but touchingly on things like love (the famous "Bloody men are like bloody buses" comes to mind... albeit that it's not really a wedding poem!)

Bloody men are like bloody buses
You wait for about a year
And as soon as one approaches your stop
Two or three others appear.

You look at them flashing their indicators,
Offering you a ride.
You're trying to read the destinations,
You haven't much time to decide.

If you make a mistake, there is no turning back.
Jump off, and you'll stand there and gaze
While the cars and the taxis and lorries go by
And the minutes, the hours, the days.

Good luck with finding something you like!

:)

Fcukin Ell Matt I need a Hanky now .Wise words I must say.

Just to add One to The Fire....

Marriage is a sacrement. But not because of its sacred Obligations. Rather because of its unequalled opportunity.

Last edited:
I did a reading at my old mans wedding a few years ago. They chose the words, I just got up and read them out. Nothing dificult, just got up, said my piece, added a few lines about how my stepmum was evil, and would lock me in a cupboard for days and feed me stale bread, and sat down again.

Back