• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Glad to see a little bit of realism creeping in at last and the fair concern that we look like being in a similar position to our previous seasons start.. Phil hasnt pulled off his early seasons signings plan as he hoped especially as we have such a small squad , let alone older and more vulnerable to pace and injury at the back. As stated above we may also start without Wordsworth, Coker, Ranger and Turner. Uncertainty remains with Lenny and whether he stays or goes our midfield is short of numbers. Youngsters are great to see from Ba to Yearwood but need careful handling and are likely to be inconsistent. We dont look especially fitter compared to the past.
Neither am I negative and will be there as usual Saturday week, cheering us on. Much will depend on the next , urgently needed, late 3 or 4 signings, and the potential interest in the loan market. As it stands currently we might manage a top ten position, is that consolidating? or a genuine push for Promotion

I did mention on here in May/June time that the poor start we made last year, ultimatly cost us a play off place, and in reality, cost us a crack at automatic promotion. (although I think we would of missed out).

To be in the same situation again is in my view, not acceptable, and yes, 14 players fit, (if you include Yearwood), is extremely worrying at the start of the season.

You may be right but for me, it was the players we signed 'late' as you'd call it who powered our season. Were it possible to have signed them earlier, I'm sure we would have. It's not like the experienced people running our club don't understand the points being made and the need to have quality and sufficient fit bodies. Personally, i believe it's a strategy. It might leave us short in the early stages but if the late moves mean better quality over the whole season, I can understand the gamble and I'm prepared to back the judgement of those who count. It's a risk and, without money to burn, we sure as hell have to take some of those.

Has Ranger been banged up or been on an all inclusive Summer Holiday with food , drink and sweets on tap ?

Im just wondering as I am hoping that whilst he may not be match fit per se, Im assuming he's not piled on the pounds

(Got a sense of Deja Vu this coming season, and moreover that this time we'll start slowly but not recover.

I am really excited about Kightly, who I believe will be a huge asset once fit. However I still have reservations about our GK options, lack of pace in the CB position and also feel we need a bit of steel CM and front man who can compliment Cox.

Starting line up -v- Blackbin Liners;

I'd go for

Oxley
Demetriou
Coker (if fit)
Ferdinand
Turner (if fit)
Kightly
Leonard
Yearwood (unless Wordsworth is fit)
McLaughlin
Cox
MAF

Have a feeling that we'll see White in for Turner, Hendrie in for Coker and Timlin instead of Dru - and it will be a long afternoon

Concerns:
Oxley / Smith - neither command their area, and neither are vocal enough (Both need to take notes from Walton, who was more vocal, even during his first game for us, and oozed confidence in his area)

Coker / Hendrie - one of my favourite players, however injury seems to have blighted him recently. We really need him fit and on top of his game if we are going to push for top 6. / Hendrie hasn't impressed so far, even when he was here on loan he only had one really good games the rest were average.

Ferdinand / Turner - Really disappointed to lose Thompson, who really complemented AF. Would like to see a quick young CB in the mix with either of the 2 oldies. Hopefully they can stay fit and experience will compensate for their lack of speed. Both are likely to be injured or unfit at some stage so quick fix needed by Phil.

Lenny - He goes, he stays? He needs to make up his mind, and if he stays I expect 100% from him, 110% really as he always gives. Love the guy but he needs to make a choice ASAP.

Wordsworth / McLaughlin - Can they stay fit and get back to top form for the start of the season?

Strikers (in general) - I expect Cox to top his tally from last season, but who should he be paired with? Ideally Ranger, but when he will be physically or mentally fit is anyone's guess,. MAF I like, but he's another one like AF. Robinson - still not sure about him, and then what else? Triallist? Hmm...

Dru Yearwood though?! The new Dele Ali ? We live in hope.

So, apart from that I'm hopeful of a good season and top 2 finish :smile:

It's not Leonard's choice though is it. He has said he wants to go. We have not as of yet had a bid which matches our price tag

Has Ranger been banged up or been on an all inclusive Summer Holiday with food , drink and sweets on tap ?

Im just wondering as I am hoping that whilst he may not be match fit per se, Im assuming he's not piled on the pounds

PB said in the echo that he had access to a gym etc for the first couple of weeks and has been on 23 hour lockdown since then.

I am very worried about turner. He looked pretty shaky against conference South braintree a few weeks back. Already injured. 2 year deal on good money!

Makes you think will so few professionals at the club or capable of playing in league one if we have put to much in wages on the players we already have here, if that's the case we need these players fit ASAP or we could find ourselves playing catch up early on in the season, still think we need 3 good players.

True, when he signed his 3 year contract he made his choice !

He made a choice at that time and is living up to that choice. He's still entitled under that contract to ask for a transfer and he's entitled, as a person living in a free country, to wish to develop his career as he sees fit.

I think the strategy pursued will see us once more start slow (albeit not as slow as last year) and run out of puff at the end. Would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I think the quality we have splashed out on needs to be balanced with the industrious and I worry we lack the steady, consistent, durable workhorses to carry their water.

I think the strategy pursued will see us once more start slow (albeit not as slow as last year) and run out of puff at the end. Would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I think the quality we have splashed out on needs to be balanced with the industrious and I worry we lack the steady, consistent, durable workhorses to carry their water.

When do the seagulls follow the boat Eric?

I am very worried about turner. He looked pretty shaky against conference South braintree a few weeks back. Already injured. 2 year deal on good money!

Don't sweat it. We might not have a full squad yet but at least we've got the much needed scapegoat signed up early.

:winking:

Don't sweat it. We might not have a full squad yet but at least we've got the much needed scapegoat signed up early.

:winking:

Does he not worry you? 33 and not really played for 2 seasons. Already injured and more than likely on a big wage

I've no idea yet Tommy. Haven't seen him play yet, don't know the extent of his injury and don't know his wage. Time will tell for sure.

On a hiding to nothing if he doesn't knock in a hattrick in the first 15 mins vs Blackburn. Damn you Freddy Eastwood!

He has a tight hamstring- given the lack of cover at CB quite rightly they are making sure he is fine for Blackburn. If it were during the season he would be patched up and play if but for friendlies pre season- no.

He's passed all the fitness tests, has had a decent pre-season and is in good shape- he's he's 33 but we have plenty of players nearer 23 he get plenty of injuries too..

Back