• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We also have the added problem that RM stated clearly to the council with varying planning changes for FF that the project would only go ahead/was viable as and when there was an upturn in the economy as the retail park was dependent on it. When that upturn is going to happen is as certain to me as I am it is to all of you. So we may for the foreseeable future be reliant on the crowds and the commercial department of RH. Plus of course any rabbit that appears from RM's top hat.

Maybe, and I am shooting weak sperm in the dark here, it may be interesting if, god forbid, the club went belly up. What use is the ground to any would be purchaser with the existing covenant? Strange potential scenario.

I also would like to point out that I am unhappy with the council in all this. Despite the council knowing the project would potentially raise the area profile and increase jobs, all they do is spout support. Even in the Boots and laces sale from them to RM, the club had/has to pay all surveyor and solicitors fees of both parties. Some councils actively dip in their pocket for a town enhancing project, including football stadiums, instead of milking an already udder empty cow.

Any idea how much this has cost the club ?

I can't believe the pessimism on here, my God, are we not Southend supporters of long standing many of us? Have we not been here or hereabouts many, many times over the years and haven't we always pulled through somehow?

There will be no need to look to Southend Manor to provide a home for Southend United, things are far too far involved for Ron, the Council or Sainsbury's to allow our club to die. I am 100% confident that there WILL be a new home for the Blues and that we will still be a FL member within the next 5 years. There is far too much at stake for any of the interested parties to allow this venture to fail.

What has happened to Ron Martins blog that we used to be kept informed of FF progress, and any other newsflow?
I just hope that all is in order and we don`t get the dreaded SUFC Crest on the OS saying that HMRC are chasing us for unpaid fees?
The alleged non payment of some staff is a bit alarming, problems grow from this scenario, and if the club are putting their heads in the sand, it will come out and has been reported, not confirmed, in the Echo.
Before you say it will never happen to this club, you have only got to look at Rangers, what a mess, and god only knows how Portsmouth are still hanging on, the first time they went into administration it was reported that they owed £164 million.
I have supported Southend for 38 years, and have seen many games over the years, don`t get to many now as exiled in Southampton, but really hope that we can ride this current storm, get some of our players fit, and go on a run which packs out Roots Hall every home game.

I may be wrong and fully admit that I haven't really researched this , but I think that both our ticket prices and attendances are at the higher level of current teams in League 2.
IF that is correct , then our match day income must be higher than most of the teams in our Division ??
So a basic question if I may.
Does that mean that most other League 2 sides are in a similar or worse financial mess ????

I may be wrong and fully admit that I haven't really researched this , but I think that both our ticket prices and attendances are at the higher level of current teams in League 2.
IF that is correct , then our match day income must be higher than most of the teams in our Division ??
Does that mean that most other League 2 sides are in a similar or worse financial mess ??

I would presume that most clubs who don't have a backer with serious cash are in a similar boat to us. Don't forget, our current problems stem from us going straight through League 1 in 05/06

Does that mean that most other League 2 sides are in a similar or worse financial mess ????

90% of clubs are in a mess, not just those in league 2

So are you making assumptions the club has paid or do you know for sure ?

It was in the agreement between RM and the council that he foots the bills. I would also like to know how much B and L cost him as I have also read a comment from the council suggesting that B and L was ok to sell as it was worthless to them because of the covenant on it. Yes another covenant conveniently scrapped.

90% of clubs are in a mess, not just those in league 2

Id say most clubs run at a loss, but being in a mess depends on the owner whether its an issue or not.

Col U are running at ridiculous levels of expenditure vs turnover, but as Cowling bankrolls them they are fine.

Id say most clubs run at a loss, but being in a mess depends on the owner whether its an issue or not.

Col U are running at ridiculous levels of expenditure vs turnover, but as Cowling bankrolls them they are fine.

Its also about perceptions. Many supporters are criticising RM for not having enough money to run the club, allegedly, and saying that he should move on for someone who does have the wherewithal. The reality is though, those same fans have no right to a league 2 club that cant sustain itself. The fans that love the club seem to think they have a right for someone else to bankroll their dreams. people should stop criticising RM unless they are prepared to step up to the plate and do a better job. If the club had retained possession of Roots Hall we would still be broke with insufficient capacity and a ground that must cost bundles to maintain.

Its also about perceptions. Many supporters are criticising RM for not having enough money to run the club, allegedly, and saying that he should move on for someone who does have the wherewithal. The reality is though, those same fans have no right to a league 2 club that cant sustain itself. The fans that love the club seem to think they have a right for someone else to bankroll their dreams. people should stop criticising RM unless they are prepared to step up to the plate and do a better job. If the club had retained possession of Roots Hall we would still be broke with insufficient capacity and a ground that must cost bundles to maintain.

So you are saying unless you have many millions to bankroll the club, then you are not allowed to express concerns or indeed criticism?

it's a forum and people can express themselves in whatever they deem fit. Within forum guidelines of course.

So you are saying unless you have many millions to bankroll the club, then you are not allowed to express concerns or indeed criticism?

it's a forum and people can express themselves in whatever they deem fit. Within forum guidelines of course.

You and everyone on here can express whatever opinion they want. The question is how productive are many of the comments? Many are ill informed or merely personal attacks. Too many posters like to hitch their horse to the fastest rolling bandwagon regardless of facts. I am guilty too of running off at the keyboard when I should have stopped for a moment and counted to ten.
Simply though, if all the effort put in to negativity on this site was directed to constructive criticism we as a fan base might be able to do a lot more to support our club and help it move in the direction we all want to see it go. Failing that we may at least be able to engender a feel good factor among the supporters with a sense of unity in spite of the problems.

There are two shades of feelings, optimism regarding the team performances and possible promotion ----- we have had no posts saying the word relegation and pessimism about the future and off-field goings-on.

We positively encourage posters to give their opinions and any constructive criticism such as get someone in with loads of dosh is always met by members posting that no-one is likely to invest alongside Martin, especially as he wants 100% of the profit from FF (if it is ever built).

It is to be expected at the current time with embargoes and un-paid staff and other issues yet to surface that a considerable number of posts will be of a concerning nature due to the love we all have for Southend United Football Club.

onceknownasrab,
how refreshing for me to think i was alone in supporting ron martin. i know he is no angel but i agree that unless some of the doom-mongers are prepared to fund the club, which i am sure they are not then get behind the club and support it. there is not a lot the fan base can do about the current situation just be thankful that we seem to have a good squad and manager at present which does bode well for the future. do the fans really want another vic jobson to take over because you can bet your life that anyone with any sense would steer well away from a football club and all the grief that goes with it.
UTB

onceknownasrab,
how refreshing for me to think i was alone in supporting ron martin. i know he is no angel but i agree that unless some of the doom-mongers are prepared to fund the club, which i am sure they are not then get behind the club and support it. there is not a lot the fan base can do about the current situation just be thankful that we seem to have a good squad and manager at present which does bode well for the future. do the fans really want another vic jobson to take over because you can bet your life that anyone with any sense would steer well away from a football club and all the grief that goes with it.
UTB

You do realise SU BLUE that we are now going to known as Mr and Mrs RM:smile:

onceknownasrab,
UTB

Why do we need another Vic Jobson when we have one already ?

yeh probably, but the reason i dont post on here much is instead of supporting our club so many just want to slate it and the board off. look at the rubbish ps has had to deal with there is no need for it.
again UTB

yeh probably, but the reason i dont post on here much is instead of supporting our club so many just want to slate it and the board off. look at the rubbish ps has had to deal with there is no need for it.
again UTB

The fans of SUFC are, as with most clubs, a fickle lot who will have a right moan when things go wrong and are full of happiness when things are good.

Most people will accept PS has done well even if they don't like his style of play but a bad run would have people baying for blood and the reaction to our on-field position can change pretty much overnight if we fail to win a game or two.

The off-field problems are not so straight-forward, we have been promised a stadium for years but snag after snag has held us up, some beyond Martin's control some not. It is this long-term delay and the current lack of finances that make a vast number of members totally dis-illusioned about the future and create many threads of concern. Unfortunately none of us are in a position to help as it will require the Knight in shining armour to ride down Victoria Avenue with pots of cash and that is unlikely to happen and until something happens we must just wait and see what transpires and until that time the Zone is likely to continue with an element of doom and gloom.

Back