• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reasons to be cheerful?

The idea that we have 24 players under contract is somewhat misleading. We certainly may have 24 bodies, but whether they are cut out for a season in Lg2, is still to be seen.

My opinion is that we will lose our best players before the close of the transfer window. I can tell you now, Hump, Kelman & Elvis are very close to leaving.

There’s also the possibility that there will be further senior departures.

Our squad is dangerously light, and inexperienced in professional football at this level.

How well do you think this team holds itself against the average Lg2 team of ****houses?

—————-——- Seaden ——————-

White —- Dieng ——MMN/Kyps——Ralph

—————- Gard ———- Phillips—————-

Egbri- ————— Hutch ———— Goodship

————————- Rush ————————

Personally, I feel that’s the most nailed on relegation team we’ve ever had. Especially when you factor in that they are already well behind other teams in terms of fitness & training.

You've missed out Harry Lennon. Is that just because you don't rate him or because he's off?

He's exactly the type of player we need against L2 ****houses.

This is a risky hill to die on here but I actually do not think we lose Charlie or Elvis. Where is the rumours?

Rather than the rumours, where is the money? I can't see Elvis walking straight into a team at a level higher than L1 and L1 teams won't have the money. Will Championship teams pay for depth in the current climate? It's possible but less likely than it was in the last two transfer windows when, for all the interest in him GBJ cites, no move took place.

Charlie I could see attracting attention from big clubs with deep pockets. It's only a matter of time before he moves onto bigger and better things. His transfer should fund the HMRC tax bill.

I don't think we have enough quality/experience in midfield or attack.

RM has taken far too long to appoint a new manager. Leaving insufficient time to sign new players and integrate them into the current squad.

Freddy joined in October/November the last but one season we were promoted from this division.

I actually think there's a lot of technical ability in our squad but we're lacking physically and in experience. I also think they are two of the easier things to add in the current transfer market if we're able to get the embargo lifted. Three or four signings could transform this team entirely.

It may be we need to let 2/3 of the younger players who can command a fee for less than we hoped just to get the embargo lifted so we are able to add what we need to the squad.....

Freddy joined in October/November the last but one season we were promoted from this division.

I think the chances of finding another Freddy Eastwood are slim to non-existent, but I would love to be proved wrong!

I actually think there's a lot of technical ability in our squad but we're lacking physically and in experience. I also think they are two of the easier things to add in the current transfer market if we're able to get the embargo lifted. Three or four signings could transform this team entirely.
Pretty much what I said but signing quality and experience even at League 2 level would not be easy, especially at this late stage.

The idea that we have 24 players under contract is somewhat misleading. We certainly may have 24 bodies, but whether they are cut out for a season in Lg2, is still to be seen.

My opinion is that we will lose our best players before the close of the transfer window. I can tell you now, Hump, Kelman & Elvis are very close to leaving.

There’s also the possibility that there will be further senior departures.

Our squad is dangerously light, and inexperienced in professional football at this level.

How well do you think this team holds itself against the average Lg2 team of ****houses?

—————-——- Seaden ——————-

White —- Dieng ——MMN/Kyps——Ralph

—————- Gard ———- Phillips—————-

Egbri- ————— Hutch ———— Goodship

————————- Rush ————————

Personally, I feel that’s the most nailed on relegation team we’ve ever had. Especially when you factor in that they are already well behind other teams in terms of fitness & training.

If those three leave that willl be disappointimg

Reactions: GBJ
Rather than commenting on the strength of the squad I was more surprised to see some posters’ choice of first 11. I thought Clifford looked class at the end of last season and has been left out but Egbri who I thought looked out of his depth gets the nod.

I think that is a comment on the strength of the squad: we are much stronger at full-back than winger.

Yes perhaps your right. You cant honestly tell me you look at that team sheet and are excited tho?

Its not a team sheet, its just a list of players we still have. Im sure the new manager will sign more players.

Haven't been bothered in the slightest about who has left since before Blackman. But it would be a huge blow if Kelman went.

ok, its not a team sheet, its a list of players. but my point still stands, quite a few of those names just feel like a bad hangover.

Agree about Kelman, and yes with a bit of luck, 4 or 5 hardened league 2 signings and we might just survive.

One bid has already came in for Kelman, a couple of days ago. Nothing’s final yet, but the initial signs don’t look good.

Elvis has wanted out for the past three transfer windows. His representatives have been speaking with Ron for several weeks now. He has interest from a couple of different clubs.

How sure am I they will leave? Put it this way, anything can happen with this football club, and as it stands nothing has been finalised, however, I wouldn’t be getting their names printed on the back of this season’s shirt.
Would the choice of manager influence any of their decisions do you know?

Would the choice of manager influence any of their decisions do you know?

Hopefully.

But the fact that wages haven’t been paid on time, relegation, in-fighting, awful management, reduction in wages, lack of communication, lack of direction etc etc are all important factors too. Maybe more important than who the manager is ??‍♂️

Hopefully.

But the fact that wages haven’t been paid on time, relegation, in-fighting, awful management, reduction in wages, lack of communication, lack of direction etc etc are all important factors too. Maybe more important than who the manager is ??‍♂️

cheers

Surely with the right manager all those points ( except wages) should/could have been dealt with ?

ok, its not a team sheet, its a list of players. but my point still stands, quite a few of those names just feel like a bad hangover.

Agree about Kelman, and yes with a bit of luck, 4 or 5 hardened league 2 signings and we might just survive.

When Kiernan, Cox and Ridgewell went my hangover got a lot better.

The one thing a new manger has is the chance to add a few of his own choices. We could be stuck with 5 of Sols picks, with 18/24months left on L1 contracts.

Im sure thats why Ron has left the two that did but didn't sign in limbo. To see if the new man actually wants them.

I’m definitely feeling more cheerful since Molesley came in. We’ve finally got a long term manager on the up who will put his heart and soul into the club. Makes such a huge difference and suddenly feeling much more optimistic.

If we can keep the squad together I also think it’s not as doom and gloom as some think. Oxley is a decent enough keeper for League 2, Elvis is probably one of the best right backs in the league and in Humphrys I genuinely think we’ve got a striker capable of hitting 20 odd goals.

Clifford and Ralph are both strong at left back and I’m expecting strong seasons from Hutchinson and Kelman. Gard, Phillips and Mitchell-Nelson will all get a lot of game time this season and are definitely promising. I think we need a good, solid centre back and a decent, experienced central midfielder as a priority.

Jake McCarthy at Weymouth is out of contract and is a really decent player by all accounts. Central mid, 25 and will likely be tempted by the opportunity to link up with Molesley again. I actually think we’re 2 or 3 good signings away from having a really decent squad at this level. Hopefully we can also get some good quality loan signings from Bournemouth.

Not under pressure to sell Elvis, Hutchinson or Kelman with their contracts and age, so can imagine Ron wanting to keep all three unless we seriously get an offer we can’t refuse. Just hope off field problems don’t continue throwing spanners in the works.

The good side of not being able to sign players is we will, as a result, be keeping some of the ones we have got that we would otherwise have been looking to let go. So I predict far fewer outgoings than expected.

Back