• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reclaiming Bank Charges.....

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
Has anyone read the articles in the tabloids, and thinking of reclaiming the charges placed on their accounts for unpaid direct debits, unauthorised overdrafts etc etc??..

I am currently in the process of claiming back a substantial amount from Barclays myself, and know of several people who have already claimed back ££££'s..

Get involved before it's too late people!..

Check out the link!.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1141050760,24632,http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=102

Time to fight back!

:finger:

yeah been hearing about this.. write a letter and they will inform you of any charges you have paid, and then you can right again to claim them back! something to do this weekend! ( although i think ive only paid 30quid in fines!)

Not, quite that simple mate, but not far off...

I urge all of you who have been charged these rip off fee's to get the ball rolling NOW and read the article on the above link..

As a backup I'd make sure you have another account just incase your bank decide to close your account or "get nasty" after they have paid out any unfair charges.

Finally got my 6 years worth of statements through at the weekend..39 days after the request..

Totted all the charges up and slapped on interest @ 8% giving me a total of £1785.25 to claim from Barclays.

Will wack it all in a pretty spreadsheet tomorrow and get a letter sent off to the *******s.

Time to fight back.

Anyone see that bloke who claimed something like £35,000 back from Natwest!!??..

Just shows you, it is more than possible, get involved if you havent done so already.

LATEST UPDATE

Counted my charges u last month aroung 2,100 pounds wrote a letter to natwest nd without any fuss offered me a settlement of 1,744 pound CHA CHNG!
Natwest just caved in

Smiffy and James can lend you them scores now!!!

Anyone see that bloke who claimed something like £35,000 back from Natwest!!??..

The most important thing about this one is that the guy had already moved banks so they paid out even though he was nolonger a customer.

LATEST UPDATE

Counted my charges u last month aroung 2,100 pounds wrote a letter to natwest nd without any fuss offered me a settlement of 1,744 pound CHA CHNG!
Natwest just caved in

I know theyve offered you nearly all of it, but they still owe you over £300

By offering the £1744, they are obivosuly addmitting they're at fault, so you should write back saying that you want at least 2 grand!

Anyone know if you can you claim back unfair charges from credit-card companies too?

I've been wondering the same. I don't think it's the same issue unfortunately. The credit card charges are either interest (which is part and parcel of owning a credit card) or a fee for late payment.

The banks' charges are for writing letters to you. The cost of these letters has been grossly over stated, and are therefore unfair. This is not the same as a late payment fee which doesn't have an admin charge attached to it...unfortunately.

Originally Posted by TrueBlue
LATEST UPDATE

Natwest just caved in

I know theyve offered you nearly all of it, but they still owe you over £300

By offering the £1744, they are obivosuly addmitting they're at fault, so you should write back saying that you want at least 2 grand!

Yep TB, Dave is spot on. Don't accept the first offer, that's part of the bank's strategy. They hope you will accept their first offer so they can still keep some of YOUR cash! Mr Mrs works for a bank and she said this is their defined policy with regards to the unfair charges claims!

I have recently applied to have my bank charges refunded so now waiting for a letter from Barclays they owe me £650.

Will they close my account if they settle?

Are people claiming for charges incurred due to the bank making a mistake (such as not paying a direct debit) or for charges incurred by the customer not having the cleared funds available resulting in bounced cheques and unpaid direct debits etc?

indeed, i agree that people should manage there accounts better and not go overdrawn... however, charging £36 for something that is costing them £1 or £2 in admin is far over zelous, and according to the law, unjustifyable and therefore, you have every right to claim back.

If you were in a restaurant, and they charged you £30 for a glass of water, you would complain... just becuase the banks are huge doesnt make them infalable to the same priniciples....

however, on the flip side, you know the terms you are signing up to when you open an account...

its a balanced arguement really, but if you go 46p overdrawn, and get charged £36... and you are a poor person, and the banks are making Billions of profit a year, its just a case of ethics and fairness really... hence this is all about claiming back 'Unfair' bank charges, rather than the customers ignorance.

Also there is the case of the banks raking in charges by forcing people into vicious circles.. Say you go that 46p over... therefore next month they will charge you £36... which make it even more likely that you will go overdrawn next month.... therefore surely its unfair that the very people you trust to look after your money are willing to treat you this way... in essence, the second month they are charging you for THEM taking your money... and so on...

Last edited:
If you were in a restaurant, and they charged you £30 for a glass of water, you would complain... just becuase the banks are huge doesnt make them infalable to the same priniciples....

I recently went into Manolys to pick up a take away and I could not believe that a woman was refusing to pay the bill because "£7.50 for a Thai curry is outrageous" despite the price being clearly displayed on the menu.

I thought that was pretty cheeky but not as cheeky as trying to get a bit of cashback action when it was your fault the bank sent the letter in the first place.

Back