• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Trust News Recognising and reflecting the history of SUFC

I know this isn't the museum thread but as a thought if it ever gets off the ground to keep it "fresh" different eras could be displayed during the season to encourage people to keep on coming back. Refreshing the items on display with items loaned / gifted to the club.

Could even get some SUEPA members to officially unveil the items from their era.

Something the size of the ticket office / club shop could work. Depends how much memorabilia there is to display
Why not use the club shop itself? There’s never anything in it to buy.

Totally agree, we are looking for income streams, not sure a museum or remembrance garden are effective uses of space.
There is still a bit of a balance to be had. We're also looking to become more of a community club and an asset of which the city can be proud. Heritage should and does play a big role in that.

Not forgetting of course that a "museum" doesn't have to be a single space taking up lots of room in order to be a heritage space, or to be eligible for National Lottery Heritage Funding. The entirety of Roots Hall could be an exhibition/heritage trail.

Museums can also apply for charity status, which leads to grants etc as well as tax relief

Can we have the lot please? Charity status and donations, grants, lottery funding, national heritage protection, and while we're at it, make Sammy the shrimp an endeavoured species.
it all helps !

I love the wall idea the most, as this will be a permanent reminder for the value of community, and could make a small contribution towards construction costs, if priced affordably and correctly.

I think a small memorial garden could be be installed, in a similar vein, and again, bricks, paving stones, seats (from the stadium) could be dedicated in memory of lost Shrimpers. It doesnt have to be very big but enough for those quiet complatative moments that everyone needs now and then. If done in the right way, this space could also be hired out and used by art groups, photography groups and even mental health professionals at set times to raise a bit more money!

And a museum / rolling exhibition of some sort would be good - could be done tastefully and affordably in a similar way to the murals in the ticket office, and big printed displays could be sited in every corridor, corporate area, bar and hospitality area throughout the ground,(Solopress would likely be able to do this sort of thing). Then when you have a comprehensive display of images, memorabilia, old kits, boots etc etc, figuring out what people might be interested in, you have an opportunity to be taken on a guided tour around them on non-match days - and you could then also make use of the hospitality space by making sure that there is a food outlet / bar and merchandising facility open for people to spend their money in. We went to Anfield a few years ago on a stadium tour (under massive sufferance), and they were even selling grass cuttings from their pitch!! More scary was people were buying them...

Anything that can become either a not for profit Community Interest Company or a charity will allow the doors to open to grants, tax relief and a lot of other benefits, so there is a lot of potential to utilise the space at RH in an effective way and gain the benefits of a variety of funding streams to be utilised.

I’d rather concentrate on the town (I don’t think I’ll ever get use to city) rather than the stadium.

Make it like one of those totalitarian states that have statues and posters on every corner so you can never escape it’s never far from the minds of the residents.

I’d rather concentrate on the town (I don’t think I’ll ever get use to city) rather than the stadium.

Make it like one of those totalitarian states that have statues and posters on every corner so you can never escape it’s never far from the minds of the residents.
It's started - their is a large blues banner in the luggage reclaim area at the airport

Good idea. 30 statues of Steve Tilson and 20 Dave Webb’s strategically positioned around the borough would be ideal. Huge posters of Mark Bentley celebrating and lifting up a child accompanied by text which reads “Save as you spend at Roots Hall market” in soviet style lettering. I would love to see this. Anna Firth if you are reading this…

Good idea. 30 statues of Steve Tilson and 20 Dave Webb’s strategically positioned around the borough would be ideal. Huge posters of Mark Bentley celebrating and lifting up a child accompanied by text which reads “Save as you spend at Roots Hall market” in soviet style lettering. I would love to see this. Anna Firth if you are reading this…
In all seriousness the city of Southend should be leveraging SUFCs cultural capital.

I don’t recall the pier making it to three LDV vans finals or The Kursaal giving Padova a good hiding in the Anglo Italian Cup.

Think They'd probally end up in the Memento park ,rather like the one just outside Budapest.
:Winking:

As very few Southend businesses would deal with the club owing to a certain person in charge, I am sure our Commercial Dept are making inroads locally to boost sponsorship.

I realise that we have gained some new people judging by the additional boards and signs around the ground --- long may that continue.

At the national football museum in Manchester they have a great machine that can show you all of the league standings/results/stadia of the 92.

An interactive almost batcave style computer type deal.

This would be great and on there you can have those that donated their season ticket refunds during Covid, those that are active sponsors. And then the main event being our league results, squads, grounds, and highlights from big games etc to give youngsters and the older crew alike a flavour of what’s to come and/or something to reminisce over.
You had me at batcave.
I would absolutely volunteer a day here and there to man a museum of sorts.

As very few Southend businesses would deal with the club owing to a certain person in charge, I am sure our Commercial Dept are making inroads locally to boost sponsorship.

I realise that we have gained some new people judging by the additional boards and signs around the ground --- long may that continue.

I’ve mentioned this before.

We’ve RM 98% of the way out of the door, a number of businesses, suppliers, contractors etc are prepared to deal with us once again, and once RM is no longer involved at all, that number will increase again.

Its going to be a lot easier to market our Club now than it has been for a long time.

Thanks to everyone that provided ideas for consideration on this subject. There was an online Shrimpers Trust surgery last night, and ideas from here were discussed as well as other contributions from Trust members.

The topics will be fed back and discussed by the Trust Board, and you'll likely see some subjects amongst the questions for future Trust surveys.

As @Medway Blue has mentioned, we're aware of what Exeter City have done as a similar-sized club to us, so there is a lot of inspiration and experience to potentially draw from them. Thanks also to those who have already offered to help in some way; once further discussions have taken place and a project plan is put in place, we'll be in touch.

Back