• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recommended alcohol limit cut to 14 units per week for men

Doesn't affect me as I barely drink these days anyhow, and for those who do, it won't make shred of difference.

I'm lucky I don't swear smoke or drink

Feck it I've left my fags in the pub:hilarious:

As i do not like alcohol i really care not if the limits drops to 0 but could have a problem if it drops to -1.

Well 21 units per week seemed a potentially achievable target to cut back to (occasionally), but 14 is almost completely unreachable surely? For that reason, I'm out...

You not planning on paying for any yourself then?

Depends how many the birthday boy buys. Actually I'll save my free-loading for Swindon tomorrow, glad I won't be in that open end:winking:.

Just listening to Jeremy Vine whilst driving and one of the topics was the new 14 units limit. They had some stuffy, we know what's best for you, doctor on the show.

She said a study has shown that if you drink within the limits you have a 1% chance of dying of something alcohol related. The same risk as driving a car. That's just one in a hundred for each activity. I have decided in future I will walk to the pub which means I'll be able to drink twice as much.

Depends how many the birthday boy buys. Actually I'll save my free-loading for Swindon tomorrow, glad I won't be in that open end:winking:.

Just listening to Jeremy Vine whilst driving and one of the topics was the new 14 units limit. They had some stuffy, we know what's best for you, doctor on the show.

She said a study has shown that if you drink within the limits you have a 1% chance of dying of something alcohol related. The same risk as driving a car. That's just one in a hundred for each activity. I have decided in future I will walk to the pub which means I'll be able to drink twice as much.

Good idea. Just think, if you drive to work you'd be able to drink a whole load more too!

Good idea. Just think, if you drive to work you'd be able to drink a whole load more too!

Luckily for me I'm retired now. The LFB have a strict rules on alcohol for all staff which is about half the drink-drive limit. They did try to have the limit at zero but were advised by the medical profession that even those that are teetotal have a certain amount of alcohol in their system.

Luckily for me I'm retired now. The LFB have a strict rules on alcohol for all staff which is about half the drink-drive limit. They did try to have the limit at zero but were advised by the medical profession that even those that are teetotal have a certain amount of alcohol in their system.

Yes, the metabolism of sugars produces alcohols as we know (yeast does as well!). Plus, the of the repeatability of has to be the test accounted for (we called it "experimental error" at school) as well as limits of detection.

Boring bit alert!

Repeatability - same sample, same equipment, same operator. Example - if you measure a piece of string ten times, you will get a spread of readings.

Limit of detection - the lowest reading that can accurately be measured. e.g. there is gold in seawater. Let's say the limit of detection of the test is one part per million ( 1ppm). If the equipment measures 0, we have to report a result of less than one ( <1 ) because we know gold is there but in lower amounts than the test can measure.

So, going back to a zero limit for alcohol in blood, if the limit of detection is 1 (units irrelevant) and the repeatability is also 1, then a result of <2 is valid if the reading is 0 or 1. Using the repeatability again, a sample of pure distilled water could give a reading of 1. That's why a limit of zero is not viable. So, in this example, a lower limit of 3 would be acceptable.

Boring bit over!

Back