• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mr Bees or something on Canvey, remember buying Pearl Jam Ten on LP there. Fives in Rayleigh, also HMV when it was in Keedies was tops.

Gumbis in the market used to be good for swapping. Adrians in Wickford (still there but very small)

Mr Bees or something on Canvey, remember buying Pearl Jam Ten on LP there. Fives in Rayleigh, also HMV when it was in Keedies was tops.

Gumbis in the market used to be good for swapping. Adrians in Wickford (still there but very small)

Yeah I used to venture over to Adrians quite a bit when younger, but not been there for years. Really good for rarer stuff and for vinyl

I remember that shop.

Wasnt there also another record shop (albeit briefly) at the other end of the high road nearly opposite the Benfleet Tavern, next to the butchers and fish mongers?

Once those closed you had to go to Woolworths in Hadliegh to buy your music!

Rings a vague bell. Hadleigh was a bind for me so I'd be more likely to venture to the record shop upstairs at the chemist at Tarpots than mosey on up to Hadleigh. Actually it was really just two revolving stands of 7" singles but I could still gander there for an hour or so.

Best record shop around at the moment is the Oxfam shop in Chelmsford High Street, the pricing system in there is a little "creative" but I've picked up some great finds in there, as long as you don't want a Beatles album (they see more mainstream bands and use their usual record pricing system and then multiply by 20) you'll pick up many a bargain.

Best record shop around at the moment is the Oxfam shop in Chelmsford High Street, the pricing system in there is a little "creative" but I've picked up some great finds in there, as long as you don't want a Beatles album (they see more mainstream bands and use their usual record pricing system and then multiply by 20) you'll pick up many a bargain.

we've got an Oxfam in sheffield opposite where i work that has a lot of vinyl in it. annoyingly they tend to mark up all the gooduns and the real gems go online... however you still find the odd bargain if you know what you're looking for. Need to find an oxfam run by some old Doris who doesn't have a clue what she's doing!

Yeah I used to venture over to Adrians quite a bit when younger, but not been there for years. Really good for rarer stuff and for vinyl

I remember they used to have an advert every week in the NME for there mail ordering service. It was vinyl heaven! Its now quite sad in there, they only have CD's and there not that cheap i'm really surprised there still going.

Aidrians in Wickford when it was still upstairs in the Barn at the market..

I worked at Adrians in 1985. They had the second hand shop upstairs in the market and the shop in the High Street. Adrians advertised in all the music mags and there was a postal area round the side for all their orders. Used to get to open the mail for them and there were masses of Postal orders, proper lucrative for all the rareties/deleted vinyls.

Think I've discussed this with Shrimpero, there used to be a record shop called Pauls on one of the levels in the Talza Arcade. There were always some fantastic vinyl bargains to be had in there. I remember Harlequins that Firestorm referred to and there was another vinyl heaven along Middlesex Street.

bassment records in southend, sid was a top fella and dama (used to call himself dj fader) is a friend of mine who now plays the guitar a lot.

vinyl rhythm and metro records were also ok, but didn't really build a relationship with the guys in there. used to go in fives a lot, knew the ones in rayleigh but not in leigh (although there always used to be jungle lp's hidden at the back of fives, which were fantastic value for old tunes)

Golden Disc when it used to be where HMV is now. They moved next door and shrunk.

MV5BMjA2NDQ4Nzc0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDUyOTI3._V1._SX500_SY333_.jpg

It's yesterday once more...

Some tasty record shops around town from back in the day...

Guy Norris (immortalised in 'The Saturday Boy' chapter in 'In A Broken Dream' thread :)) - which used to be in Vic Circus

Downtown Records - near 'The Plough,' London Road, Westcliff

And a personal favourite - Kelley's - in the High Street, where they had booths where you could listen to your potential purchase.

And yes I know - I am a boring old so & so...:cricko:
ps The Golden Disc when in Clarence Street, off Alexandra Road, lovely little shop they had there in the late '70s.

Back