• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

steveh1510

Life President
How come whenever you apply for a specific job through a recruitment agency, that position is always filled 'but we can keep your details in case anything else comes up' inevitably on a lot less money and not anything even remotely similar to what you are looking for?

And (apologies to anyone who is a recruitment consultant) why do recruitment consultants always come across as so arrogant?

rock.gif
mad.gif

Are you agreeing with me, or saying you know the answer to my questions?
rock.gif

BTW, does anyone know of a good accountancy agency in London?

Bit of both, Steve.

Although illegal, many many agencies advertise jobs which patently aren't available and never were. The idea is to attract a better class of candidate which they can then sell to the client.

Oh and yes, most consultants are arrogant, thats because theyre all salespeople at the end of the day...

Oh, Accountancy Additions is OK.

Really? Why doesn't that surprise me too much?

I kind of figured it had something to do with being salespeople, also.

Cheers - I'll try Accountancy Additions
biggrin.gif

I often get *offered* software develoment roles in areas where I have no experience or desire to work. When I politely turn them down they ask if I know anyone who would be interested.

Example true life converstaion:

Consultant : ' I know you said you did not want to work in the defence industry but would you be interested in working on embedded systems for Nuclear submarines?'

Me: 'No.'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 04 2004,17:15)]Oh and yes, most consultants are arrogant, thats because theyre all salespeople at the end of the day...
Bit harsh Naps, im a Sales Person and im not arrogant, just the dogs bollox
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Surrey Blue @ Feb. 05 2004,08:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 04 2004,17:15)]Oh and yes, most consultants are arrogant, thats because theyre all salespeople at the end of the day...
Bit harsh Naps, im a Sales Person and im not arrogant, just the dogs bollox  
wink.gif
Case rested, m'lud.

wink.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Feb. 04 2004,17:10)]BTW, does anyone know of a good accountancy agency in London?
Accountacy recruitment agencies I've had success with:-

Hays
Accountancy Additions
Nigel Lynn Associates

Steve do you receive any of the professions publications (eg Accountancy Age, Accoutancy etc) because there's always loads of agencies in the back.

What sort of thing are you looking for, Practice or Industry?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 04 2004,17:15)]Bit of both, Steve.

Although illegal, many many agencies advertise jobs which patently aren't available and never were. The idea is to attract a better class of candidate which they can then sell to the client.

Oh and yes, most consultants are arrogant, thats because theyre all salespeople at the end of the day...

Oh, Accountancy Additions is OK.
I am a recruitment consultant in the city and too be honest we have got a bad name with both clients and candidates , but we are in a high pressered sales environment snd i personally take about 30 calls a day and most of them from absolute f**kwits who are a waste of time so it works both ways.

Agencies will always be there because and it hurts me to say it we are a necessary evil.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Surrey Shrimper @ Feb. 06 2004,13:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Feb. 04 2004,17:10)]BTW, does anyone know of a good accountancy agency in London?
Accountacy recruitment agencies I've had success with:-

Hays
Accountancy Additions
Nigel Lynn Associates

Steve do you receive any of the professions publications (eg Accountancy Age, Accoutancy etc) because there's always loads of agencies in the back.

What sort of thing are you looking for, Practice or Industry?
Thanks - I'll try them.

I used to get a student accountant magazine that the ACCA used to send me - but since I moved and changed my address with them they have stopped sending me them.

At the moment I am not fussy whether its a job in practice/industry - I want something thats going to provide study support to get me through my ACCA, as well as teaching me the job-related skills that go with it (I'm in an AP position now, and would preferrably like to move into an accoutns assistant role....), and I shall then decide where to go once qualified....

Good luck with the job hunting.

Are you an ACCA level 3 studier? Because I think that there are more Audit senior type positions out there than anything else at the moment(if you can cope with day in day out accounts prep and auditing).

I've heard that on the Industry side of things recruitments has really slowed down, especially in the larger PLC type organisations.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Surrey Shrimper @ Feb. 06 2004,13:31)]Good luck with the job hunting.

Are you an ACCA level 3 studier? Because I think that there are more Audit senior type positions out there than anything else at the moment(if you can cope with day in day out accounts prep and auditing).

I've heard that on the Industry side of things recruitments has really slowed down, especially in the larger PLC type organisations.
Cheers - unfortunately, I am nowhere near level 3! I am just awaiting results of 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 2.1 in a couple of weeks, I was just trying to get a feel of whats about for when I do decide to move in the near future....

I got a call the other day from an agency saying their new client was looking for young, bright insurance professionals. I promptly advised them they clearly had the wrong number and hung up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrB @ Feb. 06 2004,15:48)]I got a call the other day from an agency saying their new client was looking for young, bright insurance professionals.  I promptly advised them they clearly had the wrong number and hung up.
laugh.gif

Back