• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions are worth ****. Everyone has them. They are as cheap as chips. People are welcome to the “opinion” that Kev hadn’t turned things round quick enough and/or that Stan hasn’t done enough quick enough and they are entitled to say that, even if what they say is not argued on the back of any understanding of the situation. But opinionated people shouldn’t expect a round of applause every time they share whatever the **** contrarian nonsense has just come into their head.

That’s my opinion anyway.

Whilst I share the pain and frustration we all do about our present League position, I have to say I feel far happier about the club than I did six weeks or so ago. The change we require on the pitch is not going to be achieved overnight and will probably take a lot longer than a few of us on here apparently have the patience for, which is sad, even if their impatience is understandable. I don't want to say much, apart from the fact that I am very happy with the new management team in place. I believe they know exactly what requires to be done in order to strengthen the squad and I'm totally confident they will do what is necessary to turn things around. Please, just give them time!
I am sure you are right. I'm sure they will bring in the recruits we crave. It is an issue that can't be resolved overnight. I do though think that they could change things up a bit with the players they have. It's same old, same old. We know it doesn't work. If they are as good at coaching as we hope then they should start to show their difference. Give us a taster of what's to come when better players arrive.

Compared to Aldershot and Chesterfield at home there is visible progress if not yet to results. Plus the quick fire signing of a couple of capable young loanees. At the same time there has been a rotation of the resources available to see if there is a way to eek a bit more out of what we have and so far the answer is no. No doubt we will see Kinali, Gard or whoever get a chance too in the next few weeks. Not sure what else they can do.

There’s also people on here who are called out as trolls for simply questioning things and having a difference of opinion.
Well, fair enough. Different opinions can be expressed without abusing players or being disrespectful to backroom staff though. Morale is already rock bottom and what genuine supporter would wish to damage squad psychology further or alienate people who wish to help the club?

Really not sure why people are digging out Stan.

Our recruitment for years has been rushed and absolute ****, hence we are where we are. We’ve burned literally every bridge in football relationships and we are known as a club you probably wouldn’t want to send your young players out to as they’ll experience embargo’s, losing and just all round crap.

Now we are trying to repair and build relationships and actually do some due diligence people are moaning because it’s too slow.

Honestly I wonder sometimes if some of our fans are in the real world or not. This isn’t fifa or football manager, this is real life.

It will get better in time, but get a ****ing grip.

Oh and the next person to mention “New Manager Bounce” is getting blocked. There’s no scientific evidence that bringing in a new manager brings about a change in results instantly. This might happen if the players are good enough, but as most have alluded to our team last night was half made up of players not good enough. Therefore why should they now be good enough to win games just because we changed management…

We thought we could repair this summer but instead Brown came back and cocked it up beyond our wildest dreams. It’s going to take I’d say a year minimum to correct. Maybe even two when you remember Dunne signed a two year deal.
Great post. I get the lack of patience given the last 3-4 years, and I understand scepticism, but the toxicity on here and on social media is alarming. There's "giving an opinion".......and then there is deliberately trying to rile people up. I feel like a lot of the latter is going on.

Whilst I hate seeing us lose, I would be delighted with simply avoiding relegation this season right now. As has been said numerous times, the rot is deep and it is not going to be a quick fix to turn around. Anybody who thought otherwise has got a screw loose.

Can I also add that what SC said he would do is to bring brilliant contacts to the table and to present Kev with a basket of names. He is currently formulating that basket of names, along with 9 other people working on recruitment......the biggest recruitment operation this club has ever had. The right players won't appear overnight. Scouting is being done and discussions held with other clubs. It needs to be given time to bear fruit. Then there is January, which will always be more active despite the fact that we do not operate under transfer window restrictions.....a fully open transfer market has a huge knock-on effect across the game and just because we don't operate under one, doesn't mean we can freely sign our top targets whenever we want.

Alternatively, we could go back to the previous recruitment "model" (if you could call it that) and remain in a vicious cycle where we keep signing duffers, and then rotate back to all the weapons on here moaning again within a year.

Fundamental, root-and-branch change and restructuring is needed and it is just starting. The quick fixes need to stop.

Those who raise expectations sky high by exagerrated claims in the first place can hardly complain when inevitably a reaction follows when those expectations are not met. This is a forum after all and people should not be shouted down or their motives questioned just because they prefer to believe the evidence of their own eyes rather than meekly accepting what they are told.
How can you say expectations haven't been met this early on, and when the club is in such a state? What exactly were your expectations that haven't been met? If you expected immediate change then you've: a) read the wrong thing into SC's words, and b) grossly underestimated the rotten state of the club. I'm all for informed opinions, but every time you post something like this you come across as increasingly ridiculous.

I wasn't saying I had been shouted down, but certainly others have been for not sticking to the script which appears to be: have faith and everything will work out fine and in the meantime don't rock the boat for fear toys get thrown out of the pram again. The club suffered enough last year by giving MM the benefit of the doubt with his 'process' for too long. History repeats itself all too often and a third successive relegation would be terminal, so closing your eyes and hoping for the best is not a good idea.
Lovely twisting of words to suit your agenda. What I think most people are actually suggesting is to give it some time, try to suppress the toxicity a little bit and support the people who are working hard to turn things around rather than jumping to uninformed conclusions so early on in what is an absolutely mammoth, unenviable and unforgiving task. Nobody is "closing eyes and hoping for the best". They are supporting well-connected and qualified people in their attempts to turn things around. "Closing eyes and hoping for the best" is more akin to what you're essentially suggesting, which would be to panic sign players as quickly as possible without due diligence and proper scouting.

It. Will. Not. Happen. Overnight.

Last edited:
Great post. I get the lack of patience given the last 3-4 years, and I understand scepticism, but the toxicity on here and on social media is alarming. There's "giving an opinion".......and then there is deliberately trying to rile people up. I feel like a lot of the latter is going on.

Whilst I hate seeing us lose, I would be delighted with simply avoiding relegation this season right now. As has been said numerous times, the rot is deep and its not going to be a quick fix to turn around. Anybody who thought otherwise has got a screw loose.

Can I also add that what SC said he would do is to bring brilliant contacts to the table and to present Kev with a basket of names. He is currently formulating that basket of names, along with 9 other people working on recruitment......the biggest recruitment operation this club has ever had. The right players won't appear overnight. Scouting is being done and discussions held with other clubs. It will take some time but it should be given some time to bear fruit. Then there is January, which will always be more active despite the fact that we do not operate under transfer window restrictions.....a fully open transfer market has a huge knock-on effect across the game and just because we don't operate under one, doesn't mean we can freely sign our top targets whenever we want.

Alternatively, we could go back to the previous recruitment "model" (if you could call it that) and remain in a vicious cycle where we keep signing duffers, and then rotate back to all the weapons on here moaning again within a year.

Fundamental, root-and-branch change and restructuring is needed and it is just starting.

How can you day expectations haven't been met this early on, and when the club is in such a state? What exactly were your expectations that haven't been met? If you expected immediate change then you've: a) read the wrong thing into SC's words, and b) grossly underestimated the rotten state of the club. I'm all for informed opinions, but every time you post something like this you come across as increasingly ridiculous.

Lovely twisting of words to suit your agenda. What I think most people are actually suggesting is to give it some time, try to suppress the toxicity a little bit and support the people who are working hard to turn things around rather than jumping to uninformed conclusions so early on in what is an absolutely mammoth task. Nobody is closing their eyes and "hoping for the best". They are supporting well-connected and qualified people in their attempts to turn things around. "Closing your eyes and hoping for the best" is more akin to what you're essentially suggesting, which would be to panic sign players as quickly as possible without due diligence and proper scouting.

Top post

I think too many people expected we would have a gargantuan turnaround once we fell through the EFL trap door and would bounce straight back. This season has to be about securing our safety in it for next year when Kev and co will have had the chance to actually build their own squad.
I am not one of those but I would have loved to see some tactical improvement from the management guys even if we are still losing and not just wait for news players. We will turn it around, we will get new players but think some difference should be shown by now and it really hasn't

I am not one of those but I would have loved to see some tactical improvement from the management guys even if we are still losing and not just wait for news players. We will turn it around, we will get new players but think some difference should be shown by now and it really hasn't
Too many turds to polish.

End of the day, I think everyone is just a bit fed up and angry, we all love this club and us sitting at the bottom of the National League isn't helping anyone.

Then try out some youth
It won’t work. The only thing that’ll work is to get players in at the level we need, ready to go. Not easy. We can’t allow any more of our young players’ confidence to be wrecked by the usual suspects if they don’t immediately turn in amazing performances.

Whilst I hate seeing us lose, I would be delighted with simply avoiding relegation this season right now. As has been said numerous times, the rot is deep and its not going to be a quick fix to turn around. Anybody who thought otherwise has got a screw loose.

Can I also add that what SC said he would do is to bring brilliant contacts to the table and to present Kev with a basket of names. He is currently formulating that basket of names, along with 9 other people working on recruitment......the biggest recruitment operation this club has ever had. The right players won't appear overnight. Scouting is being done and discussions held with other clubs. It will take some time but it should be given some time to bear fruit. Then there is January, which will always be more active despite the fact that we do not operate under transfer window restrictions.....a fully open transfer market has a huge knock-on effect across the game and just because we don't operate under one, doesn't mean we can freely sign our top targets whenever we want.

Fundamental, root-and-branch change and restructuring is needed and it is just starting.

How can you day expectations haven't been met this early on, and when the club is in such a state? What exactly were your expectations that haven't been met? If you expected immediate change then you've: a) read the wrong thing into SC's words, and b) grossly underestimated the rotten state of the club. I'm all for informed opinions, but every time you post something like this you come across as increasingly ridiculous.

Lovely twisting of words to suit your agenda. What I think most people are actually suggesting is to give it some time, try to suppress the toxicity a little bit and support the people who are working hard to turn things around rather than jumping to uninformed conclusions so early on in what is an absolutely mammoth task. Nobody is closing their eyes and "hoping for the best". They are supporting well-connected and qualified people in their attempts to turn things around. "Closing your eyes and hoping for the best" is more akin to what you're essentially suggesting, which would be to panic sign players as quickly as possible without due diligence and proper scouting.

A well thought out, contextual and reasoned argument. It'll never catch on. ?

It won’t work. The only thing that’ll work is to get players in at the level we need, ready to go. Not easy. We can’t allow any more of our young players’ confidence to be wrecked by the usual suspects if they don’t immediately turn in amazing performances.
I understand and agree to an extent but at present it's the whole "do the same thing and expect different results" type fomula. For what it's worth I do back the management team but think a fresh approach until we get new players, regardless of results as they can't get worse, is needed.

Understandably fans are angry and distraught over the teams performances and league position but to blame the new coaching team is completely unjust. Be angry but don't direct it at those who are trying their hardest to move us up the table. Direct your anger at those who have failed us this season, namely the previous management team. They completely misjudged the National League and the type of players who flourish in it. They are the ones at fault for investing extremely scarce resources in signing the wrong players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back