• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its true though. Every Club is the same. I’ve listened to Man United fans ring TalkSPORT and claim this is the worst squad they’ve ever seen. Every Club has fickle football fans, and the vast majority of us are, let’s be honest about that. I’ve been fickle about players in the past, and I probably will again in the future. Everyone will have that one player they thought was amazing and then said they were rubbish or the other way around.

You can read the posts yourself and see the posters. Don’t feel the need to name names when it’s pretty obvious if you look at the posts.
Which is why I always find it funny when people say it’s an SZ thing or ShrimperMoan. Try looking on most clubs forums they’re all the same.

It’s not an SZ thing it’s a football thing.

Take the match report threads, if we lose 4-0 the thread will have around possibly over 1000 replies. If we win 4-0 it will be lucky to have much over 250 replies.

Football is a fickle sport.

If any of them are any good at painting and decorating, I might be prepared to take them on loan for a week or two.

Sticking paper would involve to much concentration for them. Forget working from height as none are capable above one step.
You might even find yourself explaining that they need to be closer to the kettle in order to dip their brush in.

Which is why I always find it funny when people say it’s an SZ thing or ShrimperMoan. Try looking on most clubs forums they’re all the same.

Take the match report threads, if we lose 4-0 the thread will have around possibly over 1000 replies. If we win 4-0 it will be lucky to have much over 250 replies.

People who complain about Shrimperzone have clearly never been near THAT Facebook group.

Don't do it. It's horrendous.

Much reflective of society as a whole today, we seem to enjoy the doom and gloom that comes with bad news more than we enjoy the good news.

Probably explains why more people turn out to complain than those who turn out to celebrate. Suppose when we're used to 3 years of constant losing we don't quite know how to handle winning. Also might I say that 1 loss in 10 games and it's not often a big deal and players won't get slated as much. But 9 losses in 10 games however and it's certainly a bigger problem.

I must admit I am one of those people who has far more to say on a loss than on a win. Hopefully should we start winning more I'll pop up more in the positive threads. I'd hazard a guess that a lot of our supporter base remains glass half empty as self-preservation so it doesn't hurt quite as bad when things do go badly.

Well for a recruitment thread ive just read god knows how many pages and not one mention of any prospective player our club maybe could look at ,so i take it there s none in Essex worth looking at .

Clearly unless we recruit some capable players soon we'll be struggling to finish outside the bottom 3 this season.

The whole club including fans need to forget the ever growing circus off the filed and realise that the players we have now are more than capable of avoiding relegation.

We don't need mass clear outs, more scouting or more fancy backroom jobs. A fitter team with some professional pride will bring the main two things... confidence and belief. That is whats needed on match days on the pitch, the bench and in the stands.....Thats how you win games of football.

The whole club including fans need to forget the ever growing circus off the filed and realise that the players we have now are more than capable of avoiding relegation.

We don't need mass clear outs, more scouting or more fancy backroom jobs. A fitter team with some professional pride will bring the main two things... confidence and belief. That is whats needed on match days on the pitch, the bench and in the stands.....Thats how you win games of football.
I agree. Are we saying that the players we have are not up to this standard ? We've competed well in patches in a few games. Saying that, teh two Sheff Utd lads will be going back soon...that could hurt us badly.

I can't really argue with that, I've said a couple of times, our squad isn't that bad.

As for the off field circus, don't get me started on that.

Wasn’t that said last season? And the season before? Could’ve even been true seeing as the likes of Dieng, Oxley and Hackett-Fairchild are performing in higher leagues, who knows. Results count, more than talk.

Well we’ve got 3 allegedly very good coaches now, 2 with a history here and apparently the players are responding well in training. Guess the proof of the pudding will be tomorrow on the pitch or else the anxiety will increase ..

That sounds like something Phil Brown would come out with!
Instead of being resistant to change.....how about trying to embrace it?
Our scouting has been none existent for years and led to us signing old duffers like Ogogo and Dunne.
As for the structure....we are simply bringing the club into the 21st century by making the changes we have. They were much needed and at last give us the best opportunity to progress on and off the pitch.
Confidence and belief come from winning games......we'll have a much better chance of achieving this by having better players on the pitch sourced by a proper scouting network.

Last edited:
That sounds like something Phil Brown would come out with!
Instead of being resistant to change.....how about trying to embrace it?
Our scouting has been none existent for years and led to us signing old duffers like Ogogo and Dunne.
As for the structure....we are simply bringing the club into the 21st century by making the changes we have. They were much needed and at last give us the best opportunity to progress on and off the pitch.
Confidence and belief come from winning games......we'll have a much better chance of achieving this by having better players on the pitch sourced by a proper scouting network.

One thing we have not been short of is change. We have had record amounts of new ideas in the last 3 years. We have gone full circle for the second time now and its cost us more than the current squad.

I'm not suggesting we turn down better players but we are now rehashing the classic wait until January, summer clear out posts.

Anyone new arriving will be better if the team aren't accepting defeat before they leave the dressing room.

We have conceded real poor goals early on in the last two league games and from then on not looked remotely likely to score......Thats not a problem than can be solved by individual signings......Not ones who are available mid season and will join a club in our position.`

I agree they are absolutely capable of staying up. And confidence is a huge thing. However, there is an area that worries me and remains such an archiles heel that it's (to me at least) amazing it continues unaddressed.

If we go back to the famed MM Southend 0 formations and 4231. Forgetting even we didn't really have the 1, even if we did and looked at the 5 in midfield and their career goals scored at then EFL level (incl, goals per game) it absolutely screamed no goals.

Roll on now. Say with 352. We have Murphy who is a goalscorer. Dalby who is maybe is a 10 -15 potential in a team playing well. But look at the midfield again. None have them probably have mustered even 3 goals in a season season regularly in adult football and maybe less than a rate of 1 in every 10 games played. Even Jack Bridge is at 15 in 130 odd appearnces and hasn't scored more than 3 in a season at this level or above.

When people say why do we need to play 2 up front, well if we don't we are playing a single player who has any goalscoring threat- if I'm the opposition manager I will stay stop Murphy scoring and you score you are guaranteed at least a point.

I can only assume when we sign midfielders or wingers a criteria isn't any history of contributing goals irrespective of how desperate our lack of goals is. There are plenty of midfielders and wingers out there who will expect to contribute 8-10 goals a season.
Josh Rees probably gives you more than that with 1 in every 3 as an example.

Even in our own system we have Kinali who clearly knows how to finish if he gets a chance. He has goals in him from midfield/wide. I'm not saying start him but he is not even on the bench. And so we bring on players when chasing the game who have no goalscoring threat at all. Egbri I like but he has 2 goals in over 40 senior appearances - all be it in 1 in L2 and 1in L1- how did the latter come? Kinali breaking down the left and putting it on a plate about two yards out.

Vent over.

Last edited:
I agree they are absolutely capable of staying up. And confidence is a huge thing. However, there is an area that worries me and remains such an archiles heel that it's (to me at least) amazing it continues unaddressed.

If we go back to the famed MM Southend 0 formations and 4231. Forgetting even we didn't really have the 1, even if we did and looked at the 5 in midfield and their career goals scored at then EFL level (incl, goals per game) it absolutely screamed no goals.

Roll on now. Say with 352. We have Murphy who is a goalscorer. Dalby who is maybe is a 10 -15 potential in a team playing well. But look at the midfield again. None have them probably have mustered even 3 goals in a season season regularly in adult football and maybe less than a rate of 1 in every 10 games played. Even Jack Bridge is at 15 in 130 odd appearnces and hasn't scored more than 3 in a season at this level or above.

When people say why do we need to play 2 up front, well if we don't we are playing a single player who has any goalscoring threat- if I'm the opposition manager I will stay stop Murphy scoring and you score you are guaranteed at least a point.

I can only assume when we sign midfielders or wingers a criteria isn't any history of contributing goals irrespective of how desperate our lack of goals is. There are plenty of midfielders and wingers out there who will expect to contribute 8-10 gaps a season.
Josh Rees probably gives you more than that with 1 in every 3 as an example.

Even in our own system we have Kinali who clearly knows how to finish if he gets a chance. He has goals in him from midfield/wide. I'm not saying start him but he is not even on the bench. And so we bring on players when chasing the game who have no goalscoring threat at all. Egbri I like but he has 2 goals in over 40 senior appearances - all be it in 1 in L2 and 1in L1- how did the latter come? Kinali breaking down the left and putting it on a plate about two yards out.

Vent over.
Agree with you 100% I have been saying all season where are the goals going to come from, when we signed the likes of Dunne, Ogogo, Atkinson etc they are all one goal a season merchant's. Brown really messed up with his signings. Any team looking to do well needs goals from all over the park. Midfielders who can score 6 to 8 a season and also centre backs who can score from free kicks and corners. It was obvious from the very start of the season that we would struggle to score with the squad that we have. I am sure Kevin Maher is well aware of this although Kev himself was another one goal a season man! Not a problem if you have others around him who could score which he did have in his playing days.

I almost agree but a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Sadly, our very near good squad, has a few weak links. The weakness is mainly down to lack of pace but also several players show a lack of strength on the ball. Those weak links are constantly picked, presumably due to lack of options, and we need to bring in better. It's not a mass clear out but as many as four players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back