• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole club including fans need to forget the ever growing circus off the filed and realise that the players we have now are more than capable of avoiding relegation.

We don't need mass clear outs, more scouting or more fancy backroom jobs. A fitter team with some professional pride will bring the main two things... confidence and belief. That is whats needed on match days on the pitch, the bench and in the stands.....Thats how you win games of football.
Seriously? Our team largely contains players who were once decent but are now past their sell-by-dates. And this is the biggest problem because some might assume that these players are under-performing and this isn't true; they are trying their best but just don't have the energy to complete 90 minutes in the same way that Macca couldn't last season either. Coulson in particular moves like a Sunday League defender. I was a fan of Atkinson in his previous spell at the club but his ability to cover so much ground this season has gone and will never come back.

That's why the magic so-called managerial bounce hasn't happened. It's nothing to do with a losing mentality, or a lack of confidence or pride, especially given that a large chunk of the squad are PB signings; it's because these two, plus the likes of Ogogo and Dunne, can't cope at this level anymore.

We do have a sprinkling of good players - Bridge, Murphy, Lopata and Brunt, for example (and if we can keep the latter two for the rest of the season that would be a big boost) - but we can't keep carrying the others mentioned. We need at least two energetic midfielders, particular one who is prepared/not afraid to run beyond the front two, another striker, and a right-back, maybe two. The likes of Egbri, Walsh and Rush are decent impact subs.

That should hopefully be good enough to keep us up. We'll have a better perspective on the three amigos next summer.

The whole club including fans need to forget the ever growing circus off the filed and realise that the players we have now are more than capable of avoiding relegation.

We don't need mass clear outs
, more scouting or more fancy backroom jobs. A fitter team with some professional pride will bring the main two things... confidence and belief. That is whats needed on match days on the pitch, the bench and in the stands.....Thats how you win games of football.

I hope that's right but I have serious doubts.Let's face it the new management team have only got one win so far (against Dover,who already have one foot in the NL South grave).Frankly our chances of getting another before the NY (unless against pt Maidenhead) don't look too good ,IMO.

I’ve been fickle about players in the past, and I probably will again in the future. Everyone will have that one player they thought was amazing and then said they were rubbish or the other way around.

I was once sat in the South Upper before a match vs Swansea City. There was this kid strutting around like he owned the place in the warm up, I turned to my dad and said "I don't like him"

7 seconds after kick off I liked him, by the end of the match I was in love.

Change of subject slightly but why does every thread keep getting closed the second it turns into a debate or Stan's name is mentioned? As long as it's clean and not insulting etc I don't see the problem. As much as I respect and thank the owners of the site etc, I don't think it's right for them to play god and shut things down as and when they wish without due cause. Just something to think about I guess.

Change of subject slightly but why does every thread keep getting closed the second it turns into a debate or Stan's name is mentioned? As long as it's clean and not insulting etc I don't see the problem. As much as I respect and thank the owners of the site etc, I don't think it's right for them to play god and shut things down as and when they wish without due cause. Just something to think about I guess.
You mean until our defeat at Altrincham tomorrow? :Winking:

We don't need mass clear outs, more scouting or more fancy backroom jobs. A fitter team with some professional pride will bring the main two things... confidence and belief. That is whats needed on match days on the pitch, the bench and in the stands.....Thats how you win games of football.
I disagree. You need more than confidence and belief to win games of football. Our lack of pace defensively is exposed every game. No amount of confidence and belief will fix that problem.

The threads don’t stay clean and non-insulting is the problem! You might not see all the posts that were on a thread before it was closed. Constructive discussion is very much encouraged.

The threads don’t stay clean and non-insulting is the problem! You might not see all the posts that were on a thread before it was closed. Constructive discussion is very much encouraged.
I agree that there certainly has been some but the latest one I personally didn't see any reason for it to be closed. Just a thought as personally I thought it was strange to see so many closed in such a short space of time.

I agree that there certainly has been some but the latest one I personally didn't see any reason for it to be closed. Just a thought as personally I thought it was strange to see so many closed in such a short space of time.
And of course threads veering off course like this can lead to them being locked so we best return to the topic of recruitment:Winking2:

I disagree. You need more than confidence and belief to win games of football. Our lack of pace defensively is exposed every game. No amount of confidence and belief will fix that problem.
Hopefully this will be fixed soon. A Friday night announcement would be most welcome.

I know why, it's something you need to speak to the Mods about (if they want to tell you). I can see why the do it and thats coming from me who is normally outspoken....

Today is the day that, as a long shot, I was hoping we'd maybe announce a loanee to boost the squad, even if just for the month, ahead of the game at Altrincham....guess not.
Me too - my thoughts were that they would delay it so a month's loan would include the Boxing Day game.

As always with Southend, it's the hope that kills you!

I really don't know what the answer is. I find it hard to believe that in the last four seasons we have been unable to field a team that is able to compete at any level. In the dark days post Alvin Martin we could still compete in league 2. The new management team have got their work cut out to turn this around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back