• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Em, we may want to work a little harder on bringing in players sooner rather than later. There may be something down the road that may take things out of our hands and as a result we don't want to find ourselves still in the bottom 3 if this season is curtailed..... (#Newvariant)

Blues boss Maher 'actively pursuing' new signings​

20 mins ago

Southend United boss Kevin Maher 'actively pursuing' new signings​

By Chris Phillips @cjphillips1982Chief sports reporter
On the look-out - Southend United boss Kevin Maher

0 comment

SOUTHEND United head coach Kevin Maher insists the club’s revamped scouting network remains in pursuit of new players.
Blues will not be adding to their squad before Saturday’s trip to Altrincham.
But Maher is still actively pursuing new signings.
“We’ve covered loads of games in the last three weeks,” said the Shrimpers boss.
“Players are being lined up but it’s not always easy to get them over the line.
“It takes a few things that need doing for that to happen.

“We are actively looking but it’s got to be the right ones.”

Ha,ha.

26 mins ago

0 comment

SOUTHEND United head coach Kevin Maher insists the club’s revamped scouting network remains in pursuit of new players.
“We’ve covered loads of games in the last three weeks,” said the Shrimpers boss.

Ha,ha.Seeing is believing.So much for Friday's "good news" story!

Last edited:
Think we've already proved that's highly unlikely.Not expecting the great leap forward myself until we get some new players in .

I think we were all expecting a Tilson effect (new manager), come in and turn things around........... These next few weeks will show us if the management team are up for the task. I don't think we need a big clear out, just a couple of players who can add a bit more quality.

We need to test our youngsters for sure, if not, why are they at the club. It doesn't send out a good picture to the younger lads, we're getting beaten each week, yet they still can't get a game.

I'm really not expecting a mass flood of players coming through the door for what ever reason that may be.

I was once sat in the South Upper before a match vs Swansea City. There was this kid strutting around like he owned the place in the warm up, I turned to my dad and said "I don't like him"

7 seconds after kick off I liked him, by the end of the match I was in love.
yes i was there and i got to know him and lost a 50 squid bet to his uncle and freddy was in on it when he turned up at my house ...drove up my drive with his wife and hundreds kids in his new range rover before a sat home match ! signed a few things -had a few pics..

26 mins ago

0 comment

Ha,ha.Seeing is believing.So much for Friday's "good news" story!
Kinda get used to disappointment. Not looking forward to listening to the game tomorrow. It’s like pulling teeth ?

I think we were all expecting a Tilson effect (new manager), come in and turn things around........... These next few weeks will show us if the management team are up for the task. I don't think we need a big clear out, just a couple of players who can add a bit more quality.

We need to test our youngsters for sure, if not, why are they at the club. It doesn't send out a good picture to the younger lads, we're getting beaten each week, yet they still can't get a game.

I'm really not expecting a mass flood of players coming through the door for what ever reason that may be.
I wasn't. It's all about context. Tilly inherited a half-decent squad assembled by Steve Wignall that was underperforming, with the likes of Mark Gower, Kevin Maher, Jay Smith, Tes Bramble, Leon Cort, Duncan Jupp, Leon Constantine, etc. Maher inherited a woeful squad assembled by Phil Brown, with er...

I wasn't. It's all about context. Tilly inherited a half-decent squad assembled by Steve Wignall that was underperforming, with the likes of Mark Gower, Kevin Maher, Jay Smith, Tes Bramble, Leon Cort, Duncan Jupp, Leon Constantine, etc. Maher inherited a woeful squad assembled by Phil Brown, with er...
Leon Constantine 1 of my favourite strikers. Guy was goalscoring machine.

The whole club including fans need to forget the ever growing circus off the filed and realise that the players we have now are more than capable of avoiding relegation.

We don't need mass clear outs, more scouting or more fancy backroom jobs. A fitter team with some professional pride will bring the main two things... confidence and belief. That is whats needed on match days on the pitch, the bench and in the stands.....Thats how you win games of football.
Nope, no, nnnooooo, not a chance. Squad players or fillers in a team that stays up, maybe. 30 game a season players, not having it. In particular the midfield. We have a squad of squad players and absolutely no stars, not a single one.

Nope, no, nnnooooo, not a chance. Squad players or fillers in a team that stays up, maybe. 30 game a season players, not having it. In particular the midfield. We have a squad of squad players and absolutely no stars, not a single one.
What's the definition of stars? I'd say Ralph is easily a L2 player, probably L1. To me that puts him down as a star player at this level. Murphy is a top striker for this division too. Both Lopata and Brunt should be playing L2 or higher.

I'm not disagreeing we need additions, we clearly do, but there are some very decent players in the squad, just not enough of them.

I think we were all expecting a Tilson effect (new manager), come in and turn things around...........
Lost me by the fifth word. I certainly wasn't. This squad needs too much work for an immediate impact to be even remotely realistic. At the risk of playing the same stuck record again - players coming in or existing squad - whatever your preference, that simply doesn't happen overnight. Any new manager bounce only arrives when there's a clearly under-performing squad or when shackles are unleashed. For me, that just doesn't apply to our current squad which is unbalanced, lacking in creativity, and devoid of talent in (not all, but) too many positions.

I'm not disagreeing we need additions, we clearly do, but there are some very decent players in the squad, just not enough of them.
Exactly. We have a few decent players but they're the exception. Viewed under a different lens, we have sub-par players just about everywhere else - leaving weaknesses in our attack, transition, control of the midfield and defence that are exploited every single game. These gaping holes are giving the opposition a potential goal or two advantage every time we take the field.

Last edited:
What's the definition of stars? I'd say Ralph is easily a L2 player, probably L1. To me that puts him down as a star player at this level. Murphy is a top striker for this division too. Both Lopata and Brunt should be playing L2 or higher.

So if as an opposition manager or fan you would look at those names and think you would have to have a plan to deal with those players? Guaranteed 8 out of 10 every week. Gets the fans on their feet singing their name? Don’t think any of those would fall into that category. And that is how I would define a star player.

Agreed. Looking at the list of players, they turned good, apart from Bramble, he was better in goal. (Are you sure these were the players Tilson took over)? If so, that is shocking how bad they were and should have been better and were.

My point is, they really wasn't good players at the time, when we were near the bottom of L3 (I think it was then). We moaned about them at the time, Maher passing back and sideways all the time eg

Yet a manager came in and turned some of them into Championship players, even one played in the Prem.

It's all about the manager for me and getting the best out of what they have.

Lost me by the fifth word. I certainly wasn't. This squad needs too much work for an immediate impact to be even remotely realistic. At the risk of playing the same stuck record again - players coming in or existing squad - whatever your preference, that simply doesn't happen overnight. Any new manager bounce only arrives when there's a clearly under-performing squad or when shackles are unleashed. For me, that just doesn't apply to our current squad which is unbalanced, lacking in creativity, and devoid of talent in (not all, but) too many positions.

Exactly. We have a few decent players but they're the exception. Viewed under a different lens, we have sub-par players just about everywhere else - leaving weaknesses in our attack, transition, control of the midfield and defence that are exploited every single game
. These gaping holes are giving the opposition a potential goal or two advantage every time we take the field.
Just a reminder that tomorrow will be the new management team's 7th game in charge.Any chance of a quick fix has long gone.Roll on a few new faces in January?

Agreed. Looking at the list of players, they turned good, apart from Bramble, he was better in goal. (Are you sure these were the players Tilson took over)? If so, that is shocking how bad they were and should have been better and were.

My point is, they really wasn't good players at the time, when we were near the bottom of L3 (I think it was then). We moaned about them at the time, Maher passing back and sideways all the time eg

Yet a manager came in and turned some of them into Championship players, even one played in the Prem.

It's all about the manager for me and getting the best out of what they have.
This was the final team Steve Wignall fielded before Ron decided he couldn’t “see the passion in his eyes” following a 1-0 home defeat to Northampton Town in November 2003:

Flahavan; Jupp (McSweeney, 45), Cort, Hunt, Jenkins; Corbett, Maher, Smith, Gower; Bramble, Constantine (Husbands, 66). Unused subs: Emberson, Wilson, Broughton.

This was the final team Steve Wignall fielded before Ron decided he couldn’t “see the passion in his eyes” following a 1-0 home defeat to Northampton Town in November 2003:

Flahavan; Jupp (McSweeney, 45), Cort, Hunt, Jenkins; Corbett, Maher, Smith, Gower; Bramble, Constantine (Husbands, 66). Unused subs: Emberson, Wilson, Broughton.
Blimey, imagine if that team played our current shambles - it would be a rout!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back