• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Push back is one thing, but complete speculation when people simply have no idea and jump to negative conclusions must be a pain in the arse to deal with.
Exactly. And maddening to read. That Stan probably should have reviewed the way he posts and responds on here when in an official club capacity is undeniable......but there are definitely people on here who are waiting for it to fail and are poised, ready to jump down his throat if it does. Any kind of debate is one thing but the constant stream of negative assertions without any evidence or information to back it up is alarming.

Last edited:
I also like to think the main reason he will not come here again is the fact that he has a job to do ,is now employed by the club and has been asked to keep it all in house for the time being .Just maybe people will then get off his back and allow him to do his job .
Well that was the point i was trying to make. Someone in an official capacity shouldnt be embroiled with bickering on a fans forum.

I did suggest he has a section of the forum for announcements, i know part of his remit is community which includes us, but
It didnt go down too well though...

Personally im looking forward to a time where we arent constantly focussing on the hierarchy and can just get back to winning some losing some and bickering with each other over whether a player deserved a 7 or 8 in the post match threads!

Last edited:
I wish I could say any of it is surprising. I said when we had the running commentary on bringing Stan on board that, actually, it is never possible to be completely transparent, and a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing with gaps filled by speculation that takes on an almost Orwellian tendency to become the "truth".

Too many really only want transparency to bring a rich source of ammunition to bring down whoever is their personal target, whether its a player, manager or whoever. So I would absolutely recommend what Stan has done. Do the Zoom and meeting updates they are great. But no running commentary. We find out who we are signing when they have signed.

FWIW its laughable how many people seem genuinely to believe that we should already have great signings through the door in the positions we need. KM was clear he wanted a good look at the squad to understand the priorities for strengthening. Recruitment is to the needs as identified by the coaching staff. It takes time to identify the right players, make the approaches and (and this is the bit where altered reality most seems prominent) we are a NL club just above the relegation zone. We have to persuade the club and/or player and/or agent that its a good move. Remember we are wanting good players in Nov!! not just any bodies onboard.

So it's great we are going back to reduced transparency. People will still make all sorts of things up to suit their anti-(insert as appropriate) argument, but at least the club wont be giving them ammunition that can be modified to suit before use.

We will have an update in January. Meantime hopefully the recruitment team will have been enhanced somewhat, and some signings that the coaching team have identified as a priority will have happened. Spoiler alert- don't assume the positions identified by the great football experts on the forum are necessarily the same as those identified by the real experts in whom we need to, for the near term at least, trust.

One footnote- when I look back to the months of patience shown to MM and team as we worked full the entire spectrum of Southend 0 formations, it's extraordinary that a couple of weeks seems now to be the extent of our patience...

I wish I could say any of it is surprising. I said when we had the running commentary on bringing Stan on board that, actually, it is never possible to be completely transparent, and a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing with gaps filled by speculation that takes on an almost Orwellian tendency to become the "truth".

Too many really only want transparency to bring a rich source of ammunition to bring down whoever is their personal target, whether its a player, manager or whoever. So I would absolutely recommend what Stan has done. Do the Zoom and meeting updates they are great. But no running commentary. We find out who we are signing when they have signed.

FWIW its laughable how many people seem genuinely to believe that we should already have great signings through the door in the positions we need. KM was clear he wanted a good look at the squad to understand the priorities for strengthening. Recruitment is to the needs as identified by the coaching staff. It takes time to identify the right players, make the approaches and (and this is the bit where altered reality most seems prominent) we are a NL club just above the relegation zone. We have to persuade the club and/or player and/or agent that its a good move. Remember we are wanting good players in Nov!! not just any bodies onboard.

So it's great we are going back to reduced transparency. People will still make all sorts of things up to suit their anti-(insert as appropriate) argument, but at least the club wont be giving them ammunition that can be modified to suit before use.

We will have an update in January. Meantime hopefully the recruitment team will have been enhanced somewhat, and some signings that the coaching team have identified as a priority will have happened. Spoiler alert- don't assume the positions identified by the great football experts on the forum are necessarily the same as those identified by the real experts in whom we need to, for the near term at least, trust.

One footnote- when I look back to the months of patience shown to MM and team as we worked full the entire spectrum of Southend 0 formations, it's extraordinary that a couple of weeks seems now to be the extent of our patience...
Agreed!

I think Stan has done the right thing by withdrawing from this public forum. Too much information and detail is a dangerous thing and provides ammunition for those ready to shoot him down. I'd much rather he focused on the job in hand and engaged only sporadically on pre-arranged meetings with fan group representatives (then uploaded for the masses to see).

Its quite possible someone above him, i.e. Tom Lawrence, had a word and 'advised' Stan its probably best if he doesn't get involved on here. The fan base is close to mutiny and very sensitive as it is. Stan is a sensitive chap, full of enthusiasm and promises which I think he genuinly believes in (however as anyone in business knows, never over-promise..). He was never the sort of bloke who'd sit quietly in the corner if he feels he's under any sort of attack. Two very sensitive entities are going to clash on a regular basis so its best he keeps to his official role and communicates through official club channels and the Echo, plus the occasional 'official' session with the fan groups etc.

Exactly. And maddening to read. That Stan probably should have reviewed the way he posts and responds on here when in an pffocoal club capacity is undeniable......but there are definitely people on here who are waiting for it to fail and are poised, ready to jump down his throat when it does. Any kind of debate is one thing but the constant stream of negative assertions without any evidence or information to back it up is alarming.
Negative assertions may well be distressing to read but how should one respond when things are done that seem obviously wrong?
Only two to three months ago Barry and I (perhaps others as well but Barry is the only one I can now remember so apologies if I left you out) copped plenty because we criticised Phil Brown. Being 'negative' was a frequent comment made in response to my view that he was not the right man to lead us out of our present predicament.
Our opinions at that time have since become mainstream. Posters on here now routinely rail against Phil and such views are no longer regarded as 'negative'.
It may well be annoying to some to read people expressing opinions on here which they strongly disagree with especially if the post in question seems poorly written or illogical in content. However, if this to be a forum there can be no right or wrong viewpoint and people must be allowed to express their opinions as long as they can do so politely.
At the crux of this particular matter there is a clear divide. Some seem to think that any questioning of Stan's role and/or actions at the club amounts to negativity and cannot be countenanced. Others (myself included) believe that if Stan is going to assume a prominent role within the club any supporter has the right to question his actions, and/or query statements he has previously made.
Of course, some of the criticisms made of Stan on here have been absurd, in my opinion at least. I believe others have raised legitimate points, as they have every right to do.
Turning around the fortunes of a failing or badly run football club is an inexact science, and, if anyone possesses the secret formula for this fame and fortune await.
I do not think it is outrageous, or, negative to point out that Stan has no history (as far as I know and please correct me if I am wrong) of sorting out an ailing football club.
Having said that I fully support (and supported) many of Stan's initiatives. But do I believe he is an infallible guru? No.
Do I appreciate the efforts he is making on behalf of Southend United? Unequivocally yes.

It would be nice to have some discussion about potential players worth looking at if any of you out there know any? This was a thread about recruitment which has dramatically veered off course and finds every man and hes dog discussing s.c.

Lets focus on the club as a whole not just individuals.

Negative assertions may well be distressing to read but how should one respond when things are done that seem obviously wrong?
Only two to three months ago Barry and I (perhaps others as well but Barry is the only one I can now remember so apologies if I left you out) copped plenty because we criticised Phil Brown. Being 'negative' was a frequent comment made in response to my view that he was not the right man to lead us out of our present predicament.
Our opinions at that time have since become mainstream. Posters on here now routinely rail against Phil and such views are no longer regarded as 'negative'.
It may well be annoying to some to read people expressing opinions on here which they strongly disagree with especially if the post in question seems poorly written or illogical in content. However, if this to be a forum there can be no right or wrong viewpoint and people must be allowed to express their opinions as long as they can do so politely.
At the crux of this particular matter there is a clear divide. Some seem to think that any questioning of Stan's role and/or actions at the club amounts to negativity and cannot be countenanced. Others (myself included) believe that if Stan is going to assume a prominent role within the club any supporter has the right to question his actions, and/or query statements he has previously made.
Of course, some of the criticisms made of Stan on here have been absurd, in my opinion at least. I believe others have raised legitimate points, as they have every right to do.
Turning around the fortunes of a failing or badly run football club is an inexact science, and, if anyone possesses the secret formula for this fame and fortune await.
I do not think it is outrageous, or, negative to point out that Stan has no history (as far as I know and please correct me if I am wrong) of sorting out an ailing football club.
Having said that I fully support (and supported) many of Stan's initiatives. But do I believe he is an infallible guru? No.
Do I appreciate the efforts he is making on behalf of Southend United? Unequivocally yes.

I guess it depends on how it is said. I don't have an issue with people having a different opinion, but sometimes people are too quick and too negative.

Someone has already said that Maher is out of his depth. Would you argue he's right, or would you say it's a bit early to say?

Well that was the point i was trying to make. Someone in an official capacity shouldnt be embroiled with bickering on a fans forum.

I did suggest he has a section of the forum for announcements, i know part of his remit is community which includes us, but
It didnt go down too well though...

Personally im looking forward to a time where we arent constantly focussing on the hierarchy and can just get back to winning some losing some and bickering with each other over whether a player deserved a 7 or 8 in the post match threads!
7 or 8? You're optimistic ?

So Stan can’t handle a bit of push back from fans on here who have been through so much **** in recent years but he is capable of ignoring a few idiots online who regularly pester him about things that happen years ago. The problem is I feel he has over promised us all. Saying he has an a class team ready to go with a list of players yet 2/3 weeks after he officially joined we have only had 2 players join (most likely from the Currie connection) and we are in desperate need of more and still don’t look great. Yeah things can take time but when you say there is a list ready to go why is it taking so long when our problems are so easy to see!

None of what has happened in the two weeks since he’s been here disproves what he claims though. Stan wanted Anton Robinson out and he’s still here. That alone demonstrates that Stan doesn’t have a free hand.

The coaching staff need to evaluate the player, their club then needs to accept our offer, their agent and TL need to come to agreement on wages, there needs to be room in the budget for them, the player has to agree to move - which can mean upping sticks to a different part of the country. Would you move to Altrincham on half an hour’s notice? What if the player’s girlfriend is pregnant and wants some time to think about it? What if they say yes but want housing sorted first and you’ve then got to wait for landlords to come back to you? The player needs to pass a medical - what if you have everything lined up and then the player breaks his ankle in training/catches covid?

It all takes time. If target one at the end of it says no, you then have to start the process all over again with target two.

The alternative is cutting corners but cutting corners is what got us into this mess in the first place. Being thorough is more important here than being quick. We’re not up against a transfer deadline whereby we can’t sign after Friday. If it doesn’t get completed this week it can be completed next week. If we get the signing wrong though that eats into our wage bill and limits our future room for manoeuvre.
I don't think you can go reporting every post that you don't agree with as 'sprouting' trash and I don't think posters with opinions that differ from yours should be labelled 'idiots'.

@* ORM * has been a member of this parish since 2003, so isn't a johnny-come-lately on a wind up.

For the record, I don't agree with his post.
Absolutely ORM isn’t a Johnny-come-lately wind-upper. He is one of the board’s longest standing wind up merchants who has posted more X signs posts than you’ve had hot dinners.

Jus
None of what has happened in the two weeks since he’s been here disproves what he claims though. Stan wanted Anton Robinson out and he’s still here. That alone demonstrates that Stan doesn’t have a free hand.

The coaching staff need to evaluate the player, their club then needs to accept our offer, their agent and TL need to come to agreement on wages, there needs to be room in the budget for them, the player has to agree to move - which can mean upping sticks to a different part of the country. Would you move to Altrincham on half an hour’s notice? What if the player’s girlfriend is pregnant and wants some time to think about it? What if they say yes but want housing sorted first and you’ve then got to wait for landlords to come back to you? The player needs to pass a medical - what if you have everything lined up and then the player breaks his ankle in training/catches covid?

It all takes time. If target one at the end of it says no, you then have to start the process all over again with target two.

The alternative is cutting corners but cutting corners is what got us into this mess in the first place. Being thorough is more important here than being quick. We’re not up against a transfer deadline whereby we can’t sign after Friday. If it doesn’t get completed this week it can be completed next week. If we get the signing wrong though that eats into our wage bill and limits our future room for manoeuvre.

Absolutely ORM isn’t a Johnny-come-lately wind-upper. He is one of the board’s longest standing wind up merchants who has posted more X signs posts than you’ve had hot dinners.
Just to point out we are around an hour from London and probably have a catchment area of around 10 million living within 2 hours of us which we could prioritise.

Is that because of the rules about the number of clubs a play can play for in one year? Are players going to go on loan and then possible not play much go back to their parent club and not be able to move again this season or wait until January and get a half season loan.

If you think our transfer business is taking a while now, wait until you find out what happened last season

Reactions: Jai
Go ahead and report me. For what? Expressing an opinion that is different. Geographically I am close to China. You’re closer to it with that kind of response.
With that reply I wonder if you are Stan in disguise.

Has anyone seen ORM and Stan in the same room at the same time ? :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back