• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Tshimanga has scored 17 goals for Chesterfield so far this season. Not bad is it? Could be 40 by the end of the season. Why can't we recruit someone like that? Or is Murphy actually as good as that but doesn't receive the same service from our guys as Tshimanga does from his?

I see Tshimanga has scored 17 goals for Chesterfield so far this season. Not bad is it? Could be 40 by the end of the season. Why can't we recruit someone like that? Or is Murphy actually as good as that but doesn't receive the same service from our guys as Tshimanga does from his?
He felt like a massive miss when he signed for Chesterfield didn’t he, especially having been so local. I’d still have wanted Murphy and Daley too as they both have qualities we needed and would still need IMO. But with Tshimanga too we would have many more points even allowing for the other serious weaknesses in the team

Chesterfield paid money for him, whilst it was an undisclosed amount I know Bolton were also very interested so it was probably a decent sum for this level, I'm not convinced we would have been able to afford him.

It's not as easy as that though, is it. He was reportedly destined for an EFL club or 2 before Chesterfield came in for him, so imagine what they must have offered to lure him. If it were so easy to sign a Tshimanga all clubs would be doing it,

He felt like a massive miss when he signed for Chesterfield didn’t he, especially having been so local. I’d still have wanted Murphy and Daley too as they both have qualities we needed and would still need IMO. But with Tshimanga too we would have many more points even allowing for the other serious weaknesses in the team
I think he may be a bit past it these days, could of possibly fitted PB's recruitment though.

daley 2.jpg

Chesterfield paid money for him, whilst it was an undisclosed amount I know Bolton were also very interested so it was probably a decent sum for this level, I'm not convinced we would have been able to afford him.
Thought to be around 200k I heard. Must be on very decent wages too. Chesterfield were flush this summer due to winning a court case re their business interruption insurance for COVID and have decided that's their big chance to buy their way out of the division.

OK. How about Tahvon Campbell who has scored 13 goals in 16 games for Woking....?

Last season he only scored 1 in 15 games for Halifax. Did someone find his ON switch?

OK. How about Tahvon Campbell who has scored 13 goals in 16 games for Woking....?
To be honest I think you’re looking at the wrong areas - as good as it would be to have extra goalscorers I think we need them (and especially creativity) in midfield. Even Mary Berry can’t bake a cake with no ingredients.

Last season he only scored 1 in 15 games for Halifax. Did someone find his ON switch?
That is a whole lot less explicable. I've seen him play quite a few times some years ago and never rated him at all in terms of end product. Not sure where he's suddenly found that.

To be honest I think you’re looking at the wrong areas - as good as it would be to have extra goalscorers I think we need them (and especially creativity) in midfield. Even Mary Berry can’t bake a cake with no ingredients.
What we really need IMO is a Lenny or a Yearwood, someone with decent pace, defensive ability and stamina who can carry the ball between the lines. Was hoping Ogogo might be that player but it doesn't seem so.

Yes, we should be looking for players like Tahvon Campbell to sign just before they hit 13 goals in 16 games.
Especially with no track record. Before this season he'd scored 11 goals in 144 appearances, although I assume a number of those would have been as sub.

Especially with no track record. Before this season he'd scored 11 goals in 144 appearances, although I assume a number of those would have been as sub.

A remarkable transformation isn't it? Have Woking got a quality midfielder supplying him with chances on a plate....? I remember Ted McDougall scored shedloads of goals, but only if Phil Boyer was playing. Yes, that's how old I am....?

A remarkable transformation isn't it? Have Woking got a quality midfielder supplying him with chances on a plate....? I remember Ted McDougall scored shedloads of goals, but only if Phil Boyer was playing. Yes, that's how old I am....?
It is. I wonder if he's playing in a slightly different position that suits him better. Or maybe he's applying himself and taking things a bit more seriously. Who knows. Either way Woking seem to have hit the jackpot.

It just goes to show that track record (either way) isn't the be-all and end-all.

I think fans have a right to feel sceptical right now (other threads), it's been a few weeks now and still nothing and it looks like another end of week and nothing.

I'm not one who believes we need this big clear out of players, just a couple to help us steer clear from the bottom and then start again next season.

The problem, we were (most) sold this dream which isn't happening right now.

We now have (another) week without a game, if we don't sign anyone next week, I can see a lot more people questioning things.

It's been very quiet on here the last couple of weeks, next week could be pivitol in keeping the fans on side.

I do wonder how long it will be before fans start to get frustrated with the lack of activity going on at the club, in terms of announcing new signings. I'm sure works going on in the background but, for me, its concerning that there's been quite a bit of time now and nothings happened. Times ticking on and we can't be fooled by a couple of wins against a pathetic Dover and a bit of a fortunate win at the weekend.

I think fans have a right to feel sceptical right now (other threads), it's been a few weeks now and still nothing and it looks like another end of week and nothing.

I'm not one who believes we need this big clear out of players, just a couple to help us steer clear from the bottom and then start again next season.

The problem, we were (most) sold this dream which isn't happening right now.

We now have (another) week without a game, if we don't sign anyone next week, I can see a lot more people questioning things.

It's been very quiet on here the last couple of weeks, next week could be pivitol in keeping the fans on side.

Only if they are as impatient as you!! There have been too many mistakes made with recruitment. I'd much prefer time was taken to ensure we get it right from now on....

Only if they are as impatient as you!! There have been too many mistakes made with recruitment. I'd much prefer time was taken to ensure we get it right from now on....

You mean as impatient that I'm suggesting another week?

How long would you like to get it right? It's like asking how long is a piece of string...

There is taking time and there is taking too much time. The managers will have known what needs to strengthen early on. I think the main problem might be that we are not an overly attractive prospect, regardless of what Saviour Stan might say. I really hope this comment dates badly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back