• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally but it shouldn't be expected of him. The Echo have put him in a position where he is solely responsible for the sports desk with no backup. In any normal job, colleagues pick up the slack when people go off on leave. Newsquest as a company has long been immoral, and I should know, I worked for them for 8 years. When I left, there were four people doing the job that Chris is doing now, alone.
Not saying it is right but he will always let us know the big news if any. I think that is also because he is a big fan of the club too and also I know he does a lot of mental health so maybe tweeting this and engaging with fans helps him with this too (might be wrong)

Don't see why not - just makes training a bit difficult

Agreed.

Someone mentioned that a target we were looking at was a part time player with a full time job also. It just got me thinking, it's not an ideal situation but if a part time player has been identified to be a better player than one of our Pro's, why not pursue that avenue.

I know a player released by a championship club offered a part time contract by a club much higher up the NL league than us but expected to go in for training every day. Presumably this means every evening if they have jobs so how they keep that level of commitment up without burning out I don’t know. The money on offer part time with a variety of clubs (down to step 6 and7) is more than full time professional clubs at NL and EFL level are offering. The mysteries of football finances. I do know that a club with a large professional squad like us should not be floundering around in the basement of the NL. I also suspect the much vaunted living within our means won’t get us out of this god forsaken league. It’ll need money, commitment and L2/L1 standard players.

Does anyone know if we even tried to sign Josh Rees in the summer? Watching him on ITV now and he’s bloody brilliant. Would walk straight into our team.

Does anyone know if we even tried to sign Josh Rees in the summer? Watching him on ITV now and he’s bloody brilliant. Would walk straight into our team.
If we had our coaching teams in the summer, we would got him in, instead of Dunne & Atkinson etc

If what I recently read on SZ is true and the players cannot access hot showers after training then for me fixing that is a bigger priority than bringing in new players.
We might look down on some of our rivals in this league with their travelling support numbering fifty or so but the fact we are unable to provide even basic facilities for our playing and coaching staff may go so way to explain our constant underachievement.
Is it true there are no hot showers are the training ground?
If it is what is being done about it.
I would be happy to chip in a tenner or so if that is what is required.
Until little things like that are not fixed we do not look like a serious Football Club. Iif we do not look like a serious Football Club attracting the right kind of players (always assumeing we actually have the money to do that) will continue to be a problem.

I don't believe so. I shouted about him from the rooftops. Ex-Arsenal youth, grew up in Southend and went to SHSB, and most importantly - hit double figures in goals from CM in 2 out of the last 4 National League campaigns. He was available on a free and I believe he'd have come here. I sent emails to the club about him but seems Phil wasn't interested. Sod all the goals and assists, if he didn't meet Phil's expectations for kilometres sprinted per game, then he wasn't for him!

Can't believe we let him slip through our fingers.

I don't believe so. I shouted about him from the rooftops. Ex-Arsenal youth, grew up in Southend and went to SHSB, and most importantly - hit double figures in goals from CM in 2 out of the last 4 National League campaigns. He was available on a free and I believe he'd have come here. I sent emails to the club about him but seems Phil wasn't interested. Sod all the goals and assists, if he didn't meet Phil's expectations for kilometres sprinted per game, then he wasn't for him!

Can't believe we let him slip through our fingers.
How do you know that? Isn't it just as possible that the club did make contact and (because he's local) he knows better than most what a basket case of a club we are, and turned us down?

I wonder if the fact that we have spent so much for staff off the pitch whether that has meant that we have very little left to spend on staff on the pitch?
If we are looking to sign potential hidden gems who we could sell for substantial profit down the line then John still is our man...... you just have to have look at his previous record, quite impressive!

Attracting those players to sufc will be our biggest problem! Lot of players below national league level ie conference north/South have agents in todays game. Sufc are just not attractive proposition at this current present! Still see we haven't signed the concord defender, maybe his agent has advised him to hold on and wait for better opportunity. Hate to say it but clubs like boreham wood and dagenham will have more Pulling power when it comes to signing players than sufc.

Whilst under Ron ownership sufc will be considered a club to avoid.

Last edited:
If what I recently read on SZ is true and the players cannot access hot showers after training then for me fixing that is a bigger priority than bringing in new players.
We might look down on some of our rivals in this league with their travelling support numbering fifty or so but the fact we are unable to provide even basic facilities for our playing and coaching staff may go so way to explain our constant underachievement.
Is it true there are no hot showers are the training ground?
If it is what is being done about it.
I would be happy to chip in a tenner or so if that is what is required.
Until little things like that are not fixed we do not look like a serious Football Club. Iif we do not look like a serious Football Club attracting the right kind of players (always assumeing we actually have the money to do that) will continue to be a problem.

I should imagine that any heating or plumbing company would want payment up front rather than chance sending an invoice to Southend United and associated companies and wait forever for payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back