• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Red Cards in League One

Lost Mackem

Striker
Is it the norm in this league for so many red cards to be handed out (and so many of said red cards to be rescinded)?

Since the start of last season we've had five (yes, five) red cards rescinded. The most recent was a red card last Saturday at Peterborough (a promotion rival). This could have been six red cards rescinded as we had a red card given at Portsmouth away (an extremely important game) last season, but the player who was given it was injured anyway so it was pointless going through the costs of rescinding when he couldn't play said games due to injury.

Six different times we've had players falsely sent off in 49 games. That's absolutely ridiculous. It's costing us points in vital games. Two of the red cards that have been rescinded have been given by the same referee.

So, back to my original question, is that normal? Do Southend suffer with red cards being given wrongly? Do you know of any other teams with said fortunes (or bias) toward them?

Last edited:
They could send off the entire opposition. We'd still find somehow to lose the match at the moment.

However I think that we've only had one red so far (?) and that was last night so I think we're on par for this season as a whole.

They could send off the entire opposition. We'd still find somehow to lose the match at the moment.

However I think that we've only had one red so far (?) and that was last night so I think we're on par for this season as a whole.

We had two just the other day.:Hilarious:

Charlie Wyke's was a clear sending off, but here's the one that was rescinded:
O'Nein Red Card Recinded

Is it the norm in this league for so many red cards to be handed out (and so many of said red cards to be rescinded)?

Since the start of last season we've had five (yes, five) red cards rescinded. The most recent was a red card last Saturday at Peterborough (a promotion rival). This could have been six as we had a red card given at Portsmouth away (an extremely important game) last season, but the player who was given it was injured anyway so it was pointless going through the costs of rescinding when he couldn't play said games due to injury.

Six different times we've had players falsely sent off in 49 games. That's absolutely ridiculous. It's costing us points in vital games. Two of the red cards that have been rescinded have been given by the same referee.

So, back to my original question, is that normal? Do Southend suffer with red cards being given wrongly? Do you know of any other teams with said fortunes (or bias) toward them?

Yes, but unlike you we don't get them rescinded.

Yes, but unlike you we don't get them rescinded.

As I was writing my OP I thought this could be the case too. Do clubs tend to try to rescind them? Obviously our resources are bigger, so I'm not sure if other clubs would risk it? Or do they just get rejected?

One that stands out to me last season is Max Power kicking out at the air in frustration and being sent off at Bradford away. The red card was appealed successfully the following day.

Since the start of last season we've had five (yes, five) red cards rescinded. The most recent was a red card last Saturday at Peterborough (a promotion rival). This could have been six red cards rescinded as we had a red card given at Portsmouth away (an extremely important game) last season, but the player who was given it was injured anyway so it was pointless going through the costs of rescinding when he couldn't play said games due to injury.

The question you also have to ask yourself is how often you get away with it? For example, I have it on good authority that the referee's assessor accepted that Clattermole should have been sent off for his challenge on Yearwood (I think) in last season's game at your place. The ref didn't even do anything.

The assessor also accepted that we should have been given a penalty in that game as well, but the referee gave nothing.

I guess it all evens itself out in the long run.

We tried , some years ago, to get a red card rescinded , it was, however , deemed to just be an attempt to have the player available for the cup the following weekend so it was increased to 4 matches as "Frivolous" .

Eastwood - and it was the first time in football history an increase was given for a frivolous appeal, IIRC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/7263735.stm (August 2005)

I'm guessing that in the 05/06 season is when that rule came in? We had one last season increased to 4 games. As we had a Checkatrade game in between them, Max Power actually had to miss 5 games.

Weirdly, a suspended player isn't allowed to play Checkatrade games, yet it doesn't count as a 'game' included in the ban.

I'm guessing that in the 05/06 season is when that rule came in? We had one last season increased to 4 games. As we had a Checkatrade game in between them, Max Power actually had to miss 5 games.

Weirdly, a suspended player isn't allowed to play Checkatrade games, yet it doesn't count as a 'game' included in the ban.

I seem to recall that issue a season or so ago too (but without the extra games ban)
It may have been both Kightly and Oxley for that Charlton Fracas

I seem to recall that issue a season or so ago too (but without the extra games ban)
It may have been both Kightly and Oxley for that Charlton Fracas

I decided it was a tinpot trophy once the last penalty hit the net for Pompey. Who cares about it anyway?:Winking:

Back