• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Redknapp at training today

Ron’s record of employing managers has been OK, granted.

His track record of finances however, is not so good. And that’s what worries me the most.

Remember, it was financial mismanagement that lead us back down to League 2, after our most recent stint in the Championship.

And from a football perspective, you’re right, we can’t look past the next six games, as it’s impossible.

From a business stand point, not looking past your next six games, is suicidal

What could Martin do different financially in the next 6 games?

I’m sure Martin has considered what needs to happen if worse case happens. I’d imagine it would involve a reduction in squad and back room staff, reduced budgets in wages, potential of closing one side of the stadium and a much cheaper management option for next year.

I dont think we do need to look beyond the next 6 games YET. Once those 6 games are up 1 of 3 things will happen:

We get 10+ points before the end of the season - then Kevin Bond probably gets a contract

We stay up by the skin of our teeth - then Kevin Bond probably doesnt get a contract

We get relegated - then Kevin Bond doesnt get a contract

So until we know how the season ends we cannot look further than these 6 games.

Hopefully, in the background, Ron is planning for each eventuality

On the contrary, it would be incredibly dangerous, not to look past those six games, and as you say, hopefully Martin IS planning for every possible outcome.

He already needs to be planning a restructure of the finances, for every potential outcome, whether it be relegation or survival in this league.

Only from there can he work out how detrimental relegation - the worst case scenario - would be, and realistically how quickly we’d need to get back up, before it crippled us.

He needs to be knowing & planning on how much we could spend - if at all - on the playing staff, who we would need to get off the books, what backroom staff would need to be axed, what kind of manager could we get, what kind of players we could afford, what kind of contracts could we offer, what matchday income we’d need from Lg2 to keep “ticking over”, (I use that term loosely, as we actually lose money).

Whether we stay up, or go down, there are so many variables, which need to be planned for, so that if and when the **** does hit the fan, we’ve got some kind of plan in place to compensate for it.

What could Martin do different financially in the next 6 games?

I’m sure Martin has considered what needs to happen if worse case happens. I’d imagine it would involve a reduction in squad and back room staff, reduced budgets in wages, potential of closing one side of the stadium and a much cheaper management option for next year.

There’s effectively nothing he can do over the next 6 games. Although in fairness, I wasn’t saying I expect him to?

FWIW, I actually like the idea of Redknapp coming to training to help/advise 007.

Bottom line is, I’m worried that parallels are beginning to emerge, between our relegation season from the championship & now.

That saga back then, lead us down to Lg2. This time, could be a lot worse.

Really? He won't be back in any way shape or form.

Maybe. Maybe not.

The point is, It can’t hurt to have him at a training session here and there though.

As for talk of him becoming our next permanent manager, as long as Martin kept a very tight grip of the financial reigns, then I’d be happy with him taking over.

personally I don’t see it happening, but then nothing surprises me with this club.

What planet is he on ? A process ? Gradual ? We only have 6 games left !!!!!

If these are his words he sounds a bit thick

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/ne...-is-the-biggest-factor-that-we-need-to-build/

With respect, I disagree. If there was a magic bullet to fix what's in people's heads then its' inventor/discoverer would be the richest person alive.

Confidence comes with belief. Belief is best reinforced through experiences, so you can do everything to change the mood at training and in and around the stadium but ultimately the biggest confidence boosts will come from results, performances, goals and clean sheets. So it is a process. We may not have much time, but you cant just inject the experience part of belief / confidence, that has to come from what happens on the pitch. He's spot on.

With respect, I disagree. If there was a magic bullet to fix what's in people's heads then its' inventor/discoverer would be the richest person alive.

Confidence comes with belief. Belief is best reinforced through experiences, so you can do everything to change the mood at training and in and around the stadium but ultimately the biggest confidence boosts will come from results, performances, goals and clean sheets. So it is a process. We may not have much time, but you cant just inject the experience part of belief / confidence, that has to come from what happens on the pitch. He's spot on.
It's more than possible to inject confidence and motivate short term, plenty of managers have done this before. Sounds like a kop out to me, if we had 12 games to go i'd agree with him but his job is to lift confidence now not in 3-4 weeks time, it will be too late then.

Talk about over reacting.

There was outcry when this man didn't get the England job when it was given to Woy Hodgson. Bond and Redknapp have worked together in the UCL, overseen some superb results and some fantastic players - including current Ballon d'or winner Modric and Gareth Bale.

If he walks around training today, over sees it and picks up three things we/players are doing wrong, how can that be negative? He is vastly experienced and we need any experience we can get.

Also, think about the advice he could have for younger players such as Kelman, Wabo, Acquah, Yearwood, Bwomono.

The bloke is nowhere near the finances, he is literally at training to support his former assistant manager.
I’m startled that you try to give credit to Redknapp for Bale’s progress.I thought it was obvious to everyone , back in his Southampton days( inc. game at Roots Hall) that here was a fantastic attacking talent ,playing LB,that needed to be displayed further forward.I can’t be sure of the exact figure but I think it was of Bale’s first 28 games for Spurs,they famously didn’t win one.Redknapp of course, was always selecting him at LB.
I could give lots of other examples,but suffice to say,he always was a good talker(therefore motivator) and wheeler-dealer,but poor on tactics.

FWIW, I actually like the idea of Redknapp coming to training to help/advise 007.

Bottom line is, I’m worried that parallels are beginning to emerge, between our relegation season from the championship & now.

That saga back then, lead us down to Lg2. This time, could be a lot worse.

What are the parallels other than potential relegation?

The season after we went down from the championship we finished in the playoffs. It was economic problems for Ron's businesses the year after which caused problems paying staff which was our big downfall.

It's a gamble from anyway you look at it....If it keeps us up, then all is good... Do I agree with the ethics of 'arry being envolved ..probally not...but nobody in life is a saint and lets hope this roll of the dice works for us.

It's a gamble from anyway you look at it....If it keeps us up, then all is good... Do I agree with the ethics of 'arry being envolved ..probally not...but nobody in life is a saint and lets hope this roll of the dice works for us.

Especially Harry who left them in the lurch to join Pompey:ROFL:

I'm convinced Harry is our new manager, he obviously has other commitments at the moment so can't fully take things on until the summer.

Not sure about that. But I do wonder if Ron originally approached Harry. I can imagine Harry saying he’s not up for a full time management job, but telling Ron to hire Bond and then promising he’ll have some say and influence on it.

That way Harry gets his mate a job that he wouldn’t otherwise have been in the running for (let’s be honest) and Ron gets his wish of having Harry in and around the club. The incentive is there for Harry to have involvement, as he’ll want to help his mate out as best he can.

What are the parallels other than potential relegation?

The season after we went down from the championship we finished in the playoffs. It was economic problems for Ron's businesses the year after which caused problems paying staff which was our big downfall.

Our problems began during the Championship season, by having players on big contracts, which were beyond our means.

Sound familiar?

Those problems evolved when we dropped down a division, but continued to sign players, on decent money, desperately gambling to try and get straight back to the championship. Which we failed to do.

And unfortunately the very next season, we felt the strain of those wages, and couldn’t afford to pay them anymore. So we didn’t

Currently, we have several first teamers who are on ridiculous wages, just as we had back in 2007.

I’m worried that for financial reasons, Martin has to keep this club at this level, at all costs.

I’d have had more faith in him, if he’d clearly set out a plan for our immediate & mid-term future, but he hasn’t done so.

It’s for this reason, that I’m concerned he hasn’t learned his lesson, and if we drop down, he will simply TRY and throw more money at it, in the hope we can bounce straight back up.

Back