• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Redknapp at training today

What planet is he on ? A process ? Gradual ? We only have 6 games left !!!!!

If these are his words he sounds a bit thick

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/ne...-is-the-biggest-factor-that-we-need-to-build/
The way I read it is that he's put the pressure onto the home games, by saying we need 3 home wins from 3. I think that's sensible because:
1. We're playing away this weekend and it takes a little bit of pressure off. He can tell the team to go out there, play with freedom, they'll have the away fans behind them which is pretty much always a good thing. He can use this first game to really learn and understand the team, squad and issues
2. In the home games we can control certain things in our favour, and the crowd can get behind them and RH can be a difficult ground to come to. We need to get back to that
3. Our three home games are all winnable.
- Wycombe are in the relegation fight with us so better to beat them than to beat Fleetwood (for example).
- Burton have little to play for.
- Sunderland will be up and the squad will be on the beach, I fancy us if our survival in L1 is on the line.

So let's not **** the bed if we lose on Saturday, but also realise that a win could have a massive impact on our chances of staying up.

Having Harry here is only a positive as:

- we are outside the transfer window so he can't spend
- we have plenty of coaches already so there's no need for him to get involved in that and want to try out Premiership ideas on non-Premiership players
- but what we do need is a motivator and he can certainly do that
- once he's gone I can get him in SUEPA

Do still need to sort out my lift with hin though to the remaining matches ........

Our problems began during the Championship season, by having players on big contracts, which were beyond our means.

Sound familiar?

Those problems evolved when we dropped down a division, but continued to sign players, on decent money, desperately gambling to try and get straight back to the championship. Which we failed to do.

And unfortunately the very next season, we felt the strain of those wages, and couldn’t afford to pay them anymore. So we didn’t

Currently, we have several first teamers who are on ridiculous wages, just as we had back in 2007.

I’m worried that for financial reasons, Martin has to keep this club at this level, at all costs.

I’d have had more faith in him, if he’d clearly set out a plan for our immediate & mid-term future, but he hasn’t done so.

It’s for this reason, that I’m concerned he hasn’t learned his lesson, and if we drop down, he will simply TRY and throw more money at it, in the hope we can bounce straight back up.

Do we several first teamers on ridiculous wages though? The only one I can think of that may fall into that bracket is Kightly

Do we several first teamers on ridiculous wages though? The only one I can think of that may fall into that bracket is Kightly

If it’s to be believed that we have the fifth highest wage bill in this league, then yes, I’d say we must have, no?

At a guess, I’d suggest that;

- Kightly, Cox & Kiernan would be the biggest earners.

- Oxley, Mac, Coker, Turner & maybe Lennon would be on above average wages, and not far behind the top 3.

- Hendrie, Demi, Hyam, Hopper, Humphrys, Robinson, Barratt & Mantom would probably be on average Lg1 wages

And the also-rans would fall below the average wage.

It's more than possible to inject confidence and motivate short term, plenty of managers have done this before. Sounds like a kop out to me, if we had 12 games to go i'd agree with him but his job is to lift confidence now not in 3-4 weeks time, it will be too late then.
I thought he explained himself well. Kidology only gets you so far and he explained exactly how and why confidence building IS a process. I’d rather he approached it rationally and pragmatically then just tell everyone it’ll be fine. The team’s confidence is clearly at rock bottom, but his comments are focussed on building from the very first game. Good on him once again.

“Confidence is the biggest factor that we need to build and really that only comes with a result, a clean sheet; those sort of things.

“We need to try and get through the game without conceding a goal, get a point, get three points, give ourselves something to build from if we can.

“It’s a process that we aren’t going to be good or great overnight, it’s going to be a gradual thing.

“While they’re all good lads and they’re all together, it’s human nature that a run of poor results becomes wary.

“We need to address that, get something from somewhere in our next game and build from that to get the lads confident.

"3. Our three home games are all winnable. "

I certainly hope so. 11 winless is demoralising for all.

Having Harry here is only a positive as:

- we are outside the transfer window so he can't spend
- we have plenty of coaches already so there's no need for him to get involved in that and want to try out Premiership ideas on non-Premiership players
- but what we do need is a motivator and he can certainly do that
- once he's gone I can get him in SUEPA

Do still need to sort out my lift with hin though to the remaining matches ........

I understand he can bring in 4 strikers outside the window from his Management days in USA and Jordan :Smile:

Our problems began during the Championship season, by having players on big contracts, which were beyond our means.

Sound familiar?

Those problems evolved when we dropped down a division, but continued to sign players, on decent money, desperately gambling to try and get straight back to the championship. Which we failed to do.

And unfortunately the very next season, we felt the strain of those wages, and couldn’t afford to pay them anymore. So we didn’t

Currently, we have several first teamers who are on ridiculous wages, just as we had back in 2007.

I’m worried that for financial reasons, Martin has to keep this club at this level, at all costs.

I’d have had more faith in him, if he’d clearly set out a plan for our immediate & mid-term future, but he hasn’t done so.

It’s for this reason, that I’m concerned he hasn’t learned his lesson, and if we drop down, he will simply TRY and throw more money at it, in the hope we can bounce straight back up.

Pretty much every club in the prem/football league is spending beyond its means and what you say could apply to every football club who get relegated.

If it’s to be believed that we have the fifth highest wage bill in this league, then yes, I’d say we must have, no?

At a guess, I’d suggest that;

- Kightly, Cox & Kiernan would be the biggest earners.

- Oxley, Mac, Coker, Turner & maybe Lennon would be on above average wages, and not far behind the top 3.

- Hendrie, Demi, Hyam, Hopper, Humphrys, Robinson, Barratt & Mantom would probably be on average Lg1 wages

And the also-rans would fall below the average wage.

Just because we have the 5th highest wage bill - and you have to take into account we'll be paying a lot more than northern teams due to cost of living - doesn't mean we have several players on ridiculous wages

Pretty much every club in the prem/football league is spending beyond its means and what you say could apply to every football club who get relegated.

Eh? Are you suggesting that because everyone else is doing it, so it’s ok for us to do it?

Just because we have the 5th highest wage bill - and you have to take into account we'll be paying a lot more than northern teams due to cost of living - doesn't mean we have several players on ridiculous wages

Yeah my mistake, our wage bill is so high, because we’re based in the South East of the Country.

I think although no one really does, know I think its pretty common knowledge that Kightly is on around £6k per week , absolute nuts I know, but apparently that is the case, and if its to be believed that Ox is the best paid keeper in this league it doesn't take long to realise that there is a spine of three or four players taking probably over 50% of the weekly wage bill , this isnt factual but I dont reckon I am to far form the truth

Agreed ..for me kightly has been cruising all season ..seems uninterested , and showing complete lack of skill and application . And to be honest he is a gifted player for this level
So frustration at his performances is high

Eh? Are you suggesting that because everyone else is doing it, so it’s ok for us to do it?

No, it explained why your parallel could apply to almost any club who get relegated.

No, it explained why your parallel could apply to almost any club who get relegated.

Not quite. The difference with us is, we have invested (gambled) highly in the team, in order to be one of the better outfits in this league. The fact we have such a high wage budget proves this. You don’t sign a player like Kightly, on those kind of wages, just to float around mid-table.

Those who eventually get relegated - from any league - rarely start off in the position we did. To support that argument, there are allegedly 19 teams in this league, who have spent considerably less than us. Why? Possibly because they’ve tried to live within their means.

Meaning if they do get relegated, their immediate/mid-term future isn’t on the line.

Don’t you think that, seeing as we’ve already been in that perilous position before, we should know better by now?

10-years-ago, financial mismanagement saw us go from being a play-off team in League 1, to barely surviving League 2.

So again, I must reiterate that those signs are appearing again. The fundamental thing is that one of our gambles HAS to pay off. If it doesn’t, then we could be boned.

Back