• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Redknapp at training today

and still better than the midfield we currently have.

The biggest thing I remember about Deegan was a defence splitting pass he made to our striker which we then scored from, one of the best passes I've seen a player in a Southend shirt make. Can't remember the game but it was at home. Deings reverse pass to Cox against Portsmouth wasn't far off but not quite as good

The biggest thing I remember about Deegan was a defence splitting pass he made to our striker which we then scored from, one of the best passes I've seen a player in a Southend shirt make. Can't remember the game but it was at home. Deings reverse pass to Cox against Portsmouth wasn't far off but not quite as good
My most enduring memory of Deegan is the time I heard him swear at a ball boy for retrieving the ball too quickly for a Southend throw-in during the latter stages of a game when we were trying to run the clock down!

Deegan was one of the worst players I've watched in a Southend shirt.

In fairness, I always believed any over-hype on this board was tongue in cheek and ironic. That said, it was nice to have a bit of menace about us. His rolled-up shorts were ridiculous, but I loved him for having the cobblers to play that role.

And yet, this is true. As overrated as he was, damn how we’ve needed someone to get some of our other players’ blood pumping.

As was my earlier post about Deegan. For those that got upset I don't really think Deegan is better than Modric or Bale.

Never understood why people would moan about a Deegan or Timlin yellow card. The likes of Dieng wont even take a tackle for the team, let alone a card.

For what its worth, nearly every time Deegan took a yellow at RH we would win. Even when he got sent-off at Oxford and at home to Cov we won the games.

Ultra seriously! A very good keeper-he’s not been quite so outstanding this season but that’s hardly surprising as we were missing all of our back four for most of the season.Any keeper would suffer,trying to cope behind the likes of White and Turner.

Wow, I'm shocked you hold that opinion. Oxley was outstanding in 2017/18 but my God I don't think I've ever seen such a tremendous decline in performance over a single summer in my 31 years as a Shrimper. None of our three goalkeepers inspire me with any real confidence right now and it's a massive problem when you're in a relegation dogfight - Bishop is a decent young keeper and will improve but he's nowhere near ready to be a number 1. Oxley though is like a completely different goalkeeper to last season, it's shocked me to be saying that as I was desperate for him to re-sign last summer. As things stand now I'd be looking for a new first-choice keeper in the summer whoever the manager is - and particularly if we survive - because none of the three we have are currently good enough for League One.

For what its worth, nearly every time Deegan took a yellow at RH we would win. Even when he got sent-off at Oxford and at home to Cov we won the games.

Well his 8 single yellows at home resulted in 4 wins and 4 defeats. Was that a myth, wishful thinking or making it up ?

My assessment is based on current ability level,which regular watchers should be able to recognise.These three would not look out of place at most Championship clubs,not the top four clubs perhaps.Obviously there are signs that youngsters like Dru,Elvis,Bishop,Kelman might aspire to that level in the future.

Couldn't disagree at all about Cox or Kiernan but even the most regular of regular watchers would have trouble identifying Oxley's current ability. He's only played one game at Roots Hall in nearly four months.

Well his 8 single yellows at home resulted in 4 wins and 4 defeats. Was that a myth, wishful thinking or making it up ?

Or it could be that Mick has made a mistake.

Are we talking just league games because We did actually draw a few. The away record was just as good. Someone did post a few years back that we won points when Deegan took a card (or two) and lost more when he didn't.

Couldn't disagree at all about Cox or Kiernan but even the most regular of regular watchers would have trouble identifying Oxley's current ability. He's only played one game at Roots Hall in nearly four months.
I only used the word “current”to contrast his ability with that of the youngsters I mentioned eg Bishop who are probably many years away from reaching their peak.Unlike you,I have been at the majority of his 23 games this season and the majority of his 43 last season.As he’s only 28,he should get even better,I just hope it’s with us and not in the Championship or League One,maybe,if we go down.

You're absolutely right about Oxley, Mick. The three goals he conceded against Wimbledon at home and Peterborough away recently were all partly down to him. Notwithstanding his clear lack of fitness currently, I am sure there are a number of fans who still haven't forgiven him for his act of recklessness against Charlton in September. I hope the way is now clear to bring Bishop along the way we did with Bentley.

Which was caused by Ron using HMRC as a loan facility and them calling it in and Ron not being able to get the cash flow to pay because of the financial downturn effecting his businesses (back to my first post on the thread).

It’s a bit disingenuous to suggest Martin was using it as a loan facility, but I get your point, and I do agree.

The reason Martin had to play fast & loose with HMRC, is because of the lack of funds we had compared to the extravagant outgoings we were committed to.

Nobody forced us into those commitments, they were self inflicted. Martin hadn’t planned to use HMRC as a loan facility, it was merely a means to an end. You already know my feelings on whether that was right or wrong.

To me, it would appear that we may have done the same thing again, regarding contracts. Although I fully admit, I could well be wrong.

In fairness, I always believed any over-hype on this board was tongue in cheek and ironic. That said, it was nice to have a bit of menace about us. His rolled-up shorts were ridiculous, but I loved him for having the cobblers to play that role.

And yet, this is true. As overrated as he was, damn how we’ve needed someone to get some of our other players’ blood pumping.
And then some @South Bank Hank, I still remember that wonderful 'Deeegan' jingle you treated us all to one Saturday morning:Winking:

Back