• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rabbloke

Coach
I think old 'arry at Southampton is living a bit of a dream. He has tentatively linked himself to the Eastwood Appreciation Army (EAR) but should remain loyal to the Comedy Redknapp's Angling Party (CRAP). He's fishing without bait. How times change. Once I would have believed that the Saints would have been able to lure the likes of Eastwood from a club like ours but now, and its only my opinion, it would take a bigger club than that. Southampton scrapped, often against the odds, to stay in the top flight and when they finally succumbed to relegation many felt it was long overdue. Equally I feel it will be a long and winding road before they ever get back into the Premier$hite. Eastwood does not need to leave for a fellow Championship club (optimism) and I am sure that when the time is right he will make his mark at a substatially bigger club than Southampton. Freddy is young, gifted and full of potential. The right club can pay the right price and Freddy can make the right move. No true Blues supporter would want to hold him back, not beyond the summer anyway, and we would all love to see him doing his stuff at the top.
smile.gif

To be fair to him, Southampton are doing well considering they don't have a striker of note. If they had Eastwood, I could defintely see them being play-offs at least.

In the article in question he also mentioned fat scouse Trundle and Nathan Tyson, so he's casting his net wide.

Tyson, Trundle and Eastwood would be a pretty good strikeforce though!

Presumably, Harry is trying to trade on an old West Ham link. He left the Boleyn in May 2001, when Freddy would have been a 17 yr-old... so possibly Freddy was at West Ham at that time, and they therefore know each other. It was Roeder, I think, who released Freddy - so there is likely to be no bad blood between Harry & Freddy.

Trundle is not a Harry sort of player - he's too old, and too flashy. Tyson or Eastwood, however, is a different kettle of fish entirely.

I guess it depends where Southend & Southampton are respctively come January. If we're still in the top 6 and they're not, I think Tilly & Ron will have a credible case for hanging on to Freddy.

If it's the other way round, then I should think it would be very difficult for us to stop Freddy from going. Whether we like it or not, Southampton have for the last 15-20 years been a Premier$hite club, have played in a cup final, have been getting 30,000 gates at a brand new stadium... in short, they usually inhabit a different footballing planet to us.

However, just possibly, both of us might be in the Championship next season - and if that is still a realistic possibility in January, then we have a realistic chance of hanging on to Freddy.

Here's hoping...

smile.gif

Matt

I don't see that we have to sell Freddy in January. He signed a 3 year deal with us in November 2004.

Therefore irrespective of our league position we do not have to sell in January. I would guess on current form and with the points in the bank, that we will at worst be top 6 come January. On that basis i would say we should hang on until the end of the season and sell then if we are not promoted.

It is interesting to hear that Redknapp is hawking Theo Walcott to Premier$hite clubs at 5 million. I will guarantee that if he does bid for Freddy then it will be derisory, so even more reason to tell him to sod off.

makes you wonder why we did appeal against freddys red card. was it so redknapp could have a look at him ? seemed a very curious dicision at the time and still does.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bas blue @ Oct. 31 2005,16:08)]makes you wonder why we did appeal against freddys red card. was it so redknapp could have a look at him ? seemed a very curious dicision at the time and still does.
rock.gif
But wasn't he on the bench?

exactly, let him have a look, but not a good look. freddy would have worked his socks off for the last 15 mins or so. one thing fredy would never win is the queens award for industry over the 90 mins of a match

Sadly Freddy will go to Soton in Jan 06 for £750,000 plus sell on clauses which will net us a further £1,000,000 - they are still a biggish club and poss an ideal one for Freddy to further learn his trade before a move further up the ladder with Liverpool in Jan 07. Meanwhile at Roots Hall we sign anyone else we can find at Grays for a fiver to support Wayne & Goats in knocking in 25 goals each as we secure Championship footie in a promo partie at Bournemouth. You heard it here first.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 31 2005,10:25)]Presumably, Harry is trying to trade on an old West Ham link.  He left the Boleyn in May 2001, when Freddy would have been a 17 yr-old... so possibly Freddy was at West Ham at that time, and they therefore know each other.  It was Roeder, I think, who released Freddy - so there is likely to be no bad blood between Harry & Freddy.

Trundle is not a Harry sort of player - he's too old, and too flashy.  Tyson or Eastwood, however, is a different kettle of fish entirely.

I guess it depends where Southend & Southampton are respctively come January.  If we're still in the top 6 and they're not, I think Tilly & Ron will have a credible case for hanging on to Freddy.

If it's the other way round, then I should think it would be very difficult for us to stop Freddy from going.  Whether we like it or not, Southampton have for the last 15-20 years been a Premier$hite club, have played in a cup final, have been getting 30,000 gates at a brand new stadium... in short, they usually inhabit a different footballing planet to us.

However, just possibly, both of us might be in the Championship next season - and if that is still a realistic possibility in January, then we have a realistic chance of hanging on to Freddy.

Here's hoping...

smile.gif

Matt
Yes, Freddy was at West ham when Harry was there, so there is a connection. Oh, and Tony Gale saw Freddy play as a youngster when he played against his son, don't you know, as if Galey hasn't told that story 1,000 times!!

Otherwise, I agree with you Matt that a lot will depend on where both clubs are in the League come January. My hope is that Saints' position will be irrelevant, because as long as we are still up there, Freddy will be happy to stay with us to get us into the Championship, and hopefully even will be happy to stay with us at that level for at least one season.

I do think Saints have a very realistic chance of getting promoted this season, but I think come January only a current Premier$hite club would stand any chance of luring Freddy away.

In our favour, all the talk down here at the moment is the rise and rise of Theo Walcott, that's 3 goals in 3 starts for him now. On Saturday he became the first Saints striker to score at St Mary's since April, over 12 hours of football, so bad has their striker situation been. Stoke City assistant manager Jan de Koning said of Walcott, "He is fantastic. At that age he is incredible. His speed is amazing and also the way he plays. He is one of the biggest talents in England, maybe Europe".

So, keep it up, Theo, and maybe Harry can forget about Freddy. Although, they will need some of their other strikers to start scoring as well!

Saints hold their AGM tomorrow morning, where it is expected that Rupert Lowe will get a rough reception. As the local paper says, despite the emergence of Walcott "supporters are still bitterly upset at finding themselves in the Championship and without an experienced, proven goalscorer".

Back