• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Referee's get out clause

bluearmy

Youth Team
Just in case the ref makes a bad decision tonight!

New scientific research suggests that football referees are unable to apply the offside rule correctly because it is too complex for the brain and eye to process accurately. The study by a Spanish doctor, Francisco Belda Maruenda(, published in the British Medical Journal), reviews the physiology of the eye movements involved in assessing an offside decision. Dr Maruenda says referees and linesmen must monitor at least five objects simultaneously -- the ball, the passer and receiver of the ball as well as two defenders -- in order to make a judgement. He says this is beyond the capacity of the human eye, and that errors are unavoidable. (He suggests that if the current offside rule is to be retained, television analysis should be used to ensure correct decisions are made.)

{NET HEADLINE: Offside rule 'too complex for referees' brains'}

{SOURCES: Rejig 0200;
0200 new}

{17/12/2004 08:41:05
pm}

How would they do it using sensors though? Surely it'd be too complicated as there is not proper lines like in tennis so there would have to be pretend lines.
rock.gif

How could one scrap the off-side rule? It wouild totally 'f' up the whole game.

From what I heard on the radio - the suggestion was to either scrap the rule entirely or use video refs during matches.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bluearmy @ Dec. 17 2004,11:10)]Just in case the ref makes a bad decision tonight!

New scientific research suggests that football referees are unable to apply the offside rule correctly because it is too complex for the brain and eye to process accurately.   The study by a Spanish doctor, Francisco Belda Maruenda(, published in the British Medical Journal), reviews the physiology of the eye movements involved in assessing an offside decision.  Dr Maruenda says referees and linesmen must monitor at least five objects simultaneously -- the ball, the passer and receiver of the ball as well as  two defenders -- in order to make a judgement.  He says this is beyond the capacity of the human eye, and that errors are unavoidable.  (He suggests that if the current offside rule is to be retained, television analysis should be used to ensure correct decisions are made.)

{NET HEADLINE:  Offside rule 'too complex for referees' brains'}

{SOURCES: Rejig 0200;
0200 new}

{17/12/2004 08:41:05
pm}
.... as the only moment that is crucial is the precise moment the ball is played, at that particular time the ball and the passer can be considered just one entity to "monitor", leaving just the four.

I look forward to Dr Maruenda securing sufficient funding for television analysis to be available for my Sunday morning games!

The problem is that the 'lino' needs to see two things at once - the ball when it is played and the forward. A player may move a yard every 0.1 seconds. If it takes qaurter of a second for the lino to look, a player who was level APPEARS to be 2.5 yards offside. Try it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Dec. 17 2004,14:56)]A player may move a yard every 0.1 seconds. If it takes qaurter of a second for the lino to look, a player who was level APPEARS to be 2.5 yards offside. Try it!
Try it?!?!?

There's no way I can move a yard every tenth of a second!

I can't believe the amount of times that when players are blatenaly offside the linesman misses it, it truly is shocking. Don't start giving me all this, its so hard to do it, and all this scientific bolloxs, a linesman should be able to sport a guy offside, if he can't then he should be looking at a new profession. If we couldn't do our jobs, we'd be sacked, the same should happen to referees and linesman. Simple As.

What a load of cr@p, I'm an Assistant on the Essex & Herts Border Combination and I don't find it difficult to decide a tight offside call - quite frankly its not rocket science, a decision should be correct AT LEAST 95% of the time (we're not robots).

Strange then, how Luton's goal was 'yards offside' according to me (qualified ref) and those around me in line, yet was shown to be ONSIDE on TV.
Yes, lino's might be 95% right but nobody remembers that 95%, it's the 5% that are wrong and often goal-producing that get remembered.

Thank you Proud Shrimper, just the point I was trying to prove. Its not hard, the job couldn't be much easier to be honest, just f**king flag when they are off and when they aint off keep that flag down.
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Proud Shrimper @ Dec. 17 2004,15:05)]What a load of cr@p, I'm an Assistant on the Essex & Herts Border Combination and I don't find it difficult to decide a tight offside call - quite frankly its not rocket science, a decision should be correct AT LEAST 95% of the time (we're not robots).
...and you don't in the Essex/Herts bored have 20 Sky cameras, 4 pundits and reverse slow motion analysing your decision? No wonder you're right!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Strange then, how Luton's goal was 'yards offside' according to me (qualified ref) and those around me in line, yet was shown to be ONSIDE on TV.
Yes, lino's might be 95% right but nobody remembers that 95%, it's the 5% that are wrong and often goal-producing that get remembered

Well that depends on where you are though. If your running the line, you should be in line with the back four, easy. Making the offside calls is easy, if your not in line then your not keeping up with play and there for not fit enough to do the job. No doubt you wasn't directly inline with it Rob, when you saw it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SoC @ Dec. 17 2004,15:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Dec. 17 2004,14:56)]A player may move a yard every 0.1 seconds. If it takes qaurter of a second for the lino to look, a player who was level APPEARS to be 2.5 yards offside. Try it!
Try it?!?!?

There's no way I can move a yard every tenth of a second!
I can move a yard every tenth of a year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blue Missy @ Dec. 17 2004,13:23)]From what I heard on the radio - the suggestion was to either scrap the rule entirely or use video refs during matches.
I personally think all games aired on sky or the bbc (fa cup) should be used video refs as the equipment is already there!

Back