• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
According to reports/rumour, although not yet officially ratified, five referees have been removed for next season:

Paul Danson, Eddie Evans, Fred Graham, Joe Ross and Mark Warren.

So no JJ Ross and his personalised number plates at the Hall next season.

Bit of a bummer for Fred Graham. A local referee who didn't seem to be doing too badly.

Mark Warren's first ever League match was a Southend game at Scarborough. Ran line at World Cup Final and is reverting back to running the line next season as is, strangely, Danson.
(Both will probably get more cash for a Premier$hite line than a League One [nearly put "Two" then, still getting used to this promotion thing!] middle.)

Eddie Evans first League match was also a Southend game (2-2 at Hull).

At least one of the refs above (probably Fred Graham) is appealing against his demotion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ June 09 2005,16:44)]So no JJ Ross and his personalised number plates at the Hall next season.
About time. Without doubt the worst ref I've seen in 20+ years. His "performance" at Luton 4 years or so ago still angers me
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ June 09 2005,16:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ June 09 2005,16:44)]So no JJ Ross and his personalised number plates at the Hall next season.
About time.  Without doubt the worst ref I've seen in 20+ years.  His "performance" at Luton 4 years or so ago still angers me  
mad.gif
What happened in that one?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ June 09 2005,17:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ June 09 2005,16:49)]
[b said:
About time.  Without doubt the worst ref I've seen in 20+ years.  His "performance" at Luton 4 years or so ago still angers me  
mad.gif
What happened in that one?
Basically made a pigs ear of the game from the first whistle. A spate of unjustified bookings culminating in sending Rawle off midway through the first half after he'd been pole-axed from behind. Should've been a straight red for the Luton player but not even a booking. Then wimped out of further straight reds for Luton later in the half.

To give you an idea how bad he was, the only time I've seen more anger and aggression from Southend fans was on Barry Fry's return to RH with Birmingham.
biggrin.gif

Several other clubs (possibly most in the lower leagues) have similar accounts of Ross - Dean Windass' post match sending off after Ross goaded him over Bradford's 4-0 defeat at Luton last year springs to mind.

His performance at Luton was dreadful I'm not disputing that, but in the 2 games at the Hall last season I personally thought Joe Ross had decent games - certainly one of the better officials we saw last term.
rock.gif

Indeed he was. He put some of the crap we had to indure to shame. I'd much rather we had him in charge than a so called 'Select Group Referee' like Phil Dowd.

I agree. I'll always remember Ross' shocking performance at Luton but recently he's been OK whenever we've had him. As Andy says, much better than some of the refs we've had this season especially so called Premier$hite refs like Phil Dowd and Barry Knight.

To be fair, his last performance at Roots Hall wasn't bad, probably because we more than likely won
tounge.gif

His definately improved from previous matches that I've seen him officiate. The worst ref this season has to be the one from Scunny at Home.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ June 09 2005,19:44)]To be fair, his last performance at Roots Hall wasn't bad, probably because we more than likely won
tounge.gif

His definately improved from previous matches that I've seen him officiate. The worst ref this season has to be the one from Scunny at Home.
Agreed Ross was better this season but I can't get rid of the Luton memories. Could you ever trust your girlfriend after she'd shagged someone else?

As for worst ref last year, has to be Fletcher away at Yeovil.

Pretty much most refs in the lower divisions were awful (to the tune of yellow submarine) all we want is a decent referee a decent referee
tounge.gif

Old wounds have been opened - I'm fuming about Luton again. Will never forget Rawle's first booking; the Luton player went straight underneath him when he went for a header, he fell and nearly broke his neck and Ross booked him. Mystified! He then sent him off after he retaliated after being scythed again, by rolling over and knocking into a Luton player. Again mystified. We played our hearts out, sang our hearts out and lost just. Divine retribution for Mr Ross. Grrrrrrr!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (grayhound @ June 10 2005,13:24)]Pretty much most refs in the lower divisions were awful (to the tune of yellow submarine) all we want is a decent referee a decent referee
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

(To the tune of Blue Moon, sung with ferocious passion)

Sh!t Refs!
We always get sh!t refs!
We always get sh!t refs!
We always get sh!t refs!

Back